Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
The sauces aren't that similar, which is a pretty big hurdle to overcome. Conversely, the fact that there aren't more mumbo sauces is a hurdle for the dual emergence theory. However, this is also a problem for the transport theory. Why weren't there other places to which Mumbo sauce was transported? Why did it go straight to DC and not stop in St. Louis or Cleveland? There's not a particularly strong DC-Chicago connection.

The HuffPo scenario isn't all that plausible. It doesn't make sense for the sauce to travel, but not the rib tips. I think it's more likely that there are two spicy, tangy sauces that people thought to name "Mumbo."
Still doesn't make sense or present an alternative theory, but whatever.

Mumbo sauce is a decent hood Chinese food topping, but I don't even rank it as one of the great local culinary creations, such as the cheesesteak, NYC bagel, deep dish pizza etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Mumbo sauce is a decent hood Chinese food topping, but I don't even rank it as one of the great local culinary creations, such as the cheesesteak, NYC bagel, deep dish pizza etc.
Oh, I agree with that. Mumbo sauce gets very overrated in DC. DC clings to Mumbo Sauce and Half Smokes because it doesn't have that much in terms of local traditions.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
lol @ DC clinging to a condiment...I just realized what it is. Wow, and all this time people have been talking about it for years, seriously? It's sauce at run of the mill chinese restaurants that they put on fried chicken wings? That isn't even a "food." That would be even worse than Chicago clinging to au jus sauce, giardenera, sport peppers, neon green relish, red sauce or any of the other countless toppings. Chicago is also famous for wings (served literally everywhere) to the point of being made fun of about it on Saturday Night Live in the 90s. I would imagine the ones I mentioned already are more popular and used more, yet they aren't really mentioned... b/c there are so many other historical and popular foods to talk about.
Sorry, that is just funny for the amount of people that have talked about it on these boards.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Quality has gone down. I've never been to a soul food restaurant I'd consider high quality anyway.
You're around Fort Greene, pretty often right? Have you tried Soco?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're around Fort Greene, pretty often right? Have you tried Soco?
Overrated. And expensive. It's hard for me to take a place seriously that puts faux "soul food" cuisine on those skinny little Euro plates. I can personally outcook any soul food kitchen in New York City with my eyes closed.

That's why I think bragging about ethnic eateries is ridiculous because what you're getting is so far removed from the real thing. In fact, there is no "real thing" since all of us have mothers (I hope) who prepare dishes differently. What may be "real" Bajan macaroni pie to me may be complete rubbish to someone else.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:12 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
Quote:
Overrated. And expensive. It's hard for me to take a place seriously that puts faux "soul food" cuisine on those skinny little Euro plates. I can personally outcook any soul food kitchen in New York City with my eyes closed.

That's why I think bragging about ethnic eateries is ridiculous because what you're getting is so far removed from the real thing. In fact, there is no "real thing" since all of us have mothers (I hope) who prepare dishes differently. What may be "real" Bajan macaroni pie to me may be complete rubbish to someone else.
100% wrong - you can't tell the difference between a strip mall whitey Mexican spot and a Mexican family restaurant run by Mexicans for Mexicans?

I think it's funny that one DC dude says Harold's (which is pretty damn good, at least the fried catfish) ripped off his DC-defining sauce, and then when it's pointed out that Chicago's actually preceded it, the conversation turns to how the sauces aren't the same, they're both actually ripped off, the sauce isn't that good anyway, etc.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
100% wrong - you can't tell the difference between a strip mall whitey Mexican spot and a Mexican family restaurant run by Mexicans for Mexicans?

I think it's funny that one DC dude says Harold's (which is pretty damn good, at least the fried catfish) ripped off his DC-defining sauce, and then when it's pointed out that Chicago's actually preceded it, the conversation turns to how the sauces aren't the same, they're both actually ripped off, the sauce isn't that good anyway, etc.
It should be pointed out that I'm not from DC, I just live here. So, my opinion on Mumbo Sauce should be viewed entirely as the opinion of an outsider. I find Mumbo Sauce to be overrated, though I do consider it to be a DC thing.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Food in Baltimore crab cakes, blue crabs, old bay, is more celebrated and well known than food in DC.

And am I wrong about this... but does also the "chicken box" that you guys are putting mumbo sauce on originate actually in Baltimore also?

Chicken box
The "chicken box" consists of 4–6 chicken wings, served in a fast food carry out box with some kind of French fries (wedged "western fries," curly fries, or regular fries). Toppings usually consist of salt, pepper, and ketchup, although hot sauce is also popular. The item is chiefly sold at independent fried chicken shops and deli/Chinese carry-outs in the city. Chicken boxes are usually enjoyed with "Half and Half," a drink combining iced tea and lemonade (referred to elsewhere in the U.S. as an "Arnold Palmer").

Note to self...: people drinking sweet tea and lemonade for next is that area southern threads...

Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Food in Baltimore crab cakes, blue crabs, old bay, is more celebrated and well known than food in DC.
I would hope if there was a poll comparing Baltimore to DC food, Baltimore would win (at least as far as indigenous cuisine goes).

Quote:
And am I wrong about this... but does also the "chicken box" that you guys are putting mumbo sauce on originate actually in Baltimore also?

Chicken box
The "chicken box" consists of 4–6 chicken wings, served in a fast food carry out box with some kind of French fries (wedged "western fries," curly fries, or regular fries). Toppings usually consist of salt, pepper, and ketchup, although hot sauce is also popular. The item is chiefly sold at independent fried chicken shops and deli/Chinese carry-outs in the city. Chicken boxes are usually enjoyed with "Half and Half," a drink combining iced tea and lemonade (referred to elsewhere in the U.S. as an "Arnold Palmer").

Note to self...: people drinking sweet tea and lemonade for next is that area southern threads...
A DC native can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think DC uses the term "Chicken Box," though the concept is about the same. I doubt Baltimore can take credit for the concept of putting fried chicken in a box. You can find that in a number of places.

Then again, this person laments that you can't get a good chicken box in Philly, so maybe there is something special about Baltimore's. Or maybe it's just nostalgia.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:

I agree with the overrated and overly priced part of it, but it seemed like an earnest effort to try something different. I don't mind the small portions either, as US portions are generally ridiculously large.

I'm not sure bragging about ethnic eateries is ridiculous. I understand different personal preferences, but when you have a large community of ___ and larger number of restaurants serving ___ cuisine, then you're much more likely to hit upon something along the lines of what you expect ___ cuisine to be like that.

You should open a soul food restaurant. Best I've had so far in NYC is Amy Ruth's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City