Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Baltimore can give Chicago a run for its more on a residential front.
Now we're just being silly, and I would wager that you know it.

As for rowhouses, I'm not sure why those feel more urban to you than high rise residential buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Georgetown Univ is world famous.
The White House, Capitol, Lincoln Memorial are also world famous. The rowhouses in DC are a lot more unqiue then those bugalows or whatever you call them.
D.C. has the best Ethiopian and Salvadoran food in the entire country
Nightlife in DC beats Chicago's...

Chicago has more ethnic neighborhoods but that's it.

The only building in Chicago that is world famous is the Sears Tower... I think its called something else now though.
LOL at...

Georgetown being world famous (!). Georgetown is a good -- certainly NOT great --Catholic school. It is no more well known than it's peers (Boston College, Villanova, Notre Dame, etc.). It stands out in Law, but beyond that it's a 20-30ish ranked school. Again, good, not great.

LOL at DC having more nightlife than Chicago. Does DC even have a bar? What do mean by DC nightlife-- a night at Chili's at Tyson's Corners?

I agree that DC has more globally recognized icons... but it is the nation's capital. Frankly, the nation shares in that recognition, not just DC. You get this, right? Right?

DC is a middle sized town that happens to be the US Capital. Everything that distinguishes it is due to the fact that it is the "nation's" capital, so therefore, the Capital, White House, monuments are national landmarks are "owned" by the people and for the people. They're not exclusive to DC-- they just sit geographically in DC. Without this distinction, you're Baltimore but without a Super Bowl Champion.

Last edited by BigLake; 02-08-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
That is just a delusional comment. You are way out of your league. Stick to things you know. Better, I'd advise you to cut your losses and stop posting altogether. Get out and get some fresh air.

Why is anybody still responding to this guy (myself included)?

Way out of our league? Why are salaries in Chicago lower? Why is housing is cheaper? I thought Chicago has so much more amenities and culture. It should be one of the most expensive places in the US if everyone agrees that it is an urban utopia? Baltimore is more expensive than Chicago. You midwesterners are really blindsided.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
The Northside is extremely urban but the southside which encompasses 60% of the city ...
Where do you get this number from other than an uncited blip in a Wikipedia article?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
It's not delusional. DC has more of an international presence than Chicago. Its more iconic and is in the world news everyday. More people recognize DC around the world. DC also has more international events than Chicago. 300 embassies, World Bank, IMF, BBC, etc.....
I love DC, its without a doubt in my top 3 cities in the country. However, for the people that classify cities as a profession, I always see Chicago ranked as a top tier global city, which DC rarely is.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
LOL at...

Georgetown being world famous (!). Georgetown is a good -- certainly NOT great --Catholic school. It is no more well known than it's peers (Boston College, Villanova, Notre Dame, etc.). It stands out in Law, but beyond that it's a 20-30ish ranked school. Again, good, not great.

LOL at DC having more nightlife than Chicago. Does DC even have a bar? What do mean by DC nightlife-- a night at Chili's at Tyson's Corners?

I agree that DC has more globablly recognized icons... but it is the nation's capital. Frankly, the nation shares in that recognition, not just DC. Right? Right?

Chicago is a great bar city. As for posh clubs, DC has more of a foo foo nightlife than Chicago. Bottle service, VIP lounges that cater to big wigs and people who are faking it. The Georgetown neighborhood is more famous than any neighborhood in Chicago. The school is more well known than UC. I'm not saying that it's better but many more people in the world know of Georgetown. Neighborhood & School.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
As someone who grew up in the Philadelphia area and is now living in the DC area, I see tons of similarities. It could just be that we have different perspectives, though.
What similarities do you see beyond rowhouses? That's usually the number one thing people mention when comparing the two cities.

Philadelphia and the Northeast U.S. in general is much more ethnic (particularly "white" ethnic) than the DC area. I worked for Obama for America in Pennsylvania, DC, Maryland and Virginia and you do not see anything like this or this in the DC area. In New Jersey, Eastern PA, and NYC, people are far more likely to identify along ethnic lines than they are in the DC area. I've never heard anyone say, "Yo, I'm a Silver Spring born and raised Pole/Italian/Jew/Irishman." This is a major distinguising feature of the Northeast, imo.

The other thing people usually point to is Democratic voting patterns. But politically, the two places are very different as well. The DC area tends to be more lockstep Democratic than Philadelphia/NJ/NYC. You'll never see a DC version of Rudy Giuliani, Chris Christie or Christine Todd Whitman. Connie Morella is a notable exception, but she was a liberal Republican who garnered the majority of her support from Montgomery County liberals, not ethnic whites who are truly conservative in values. Philly, NJ and NYC have a lot of conservative ethnic whites who tend to vote the Republican ticket. The DC area does not have that at all. Republican voters in the DC area tend to be older, WASPier voters who are more culturally similar to the white voters in Virginia Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I do have to say that the number of DC natives I know is probably in the ballpark of five (a bit more if you add the suburbs). There's nothing remotely southern about them, but it's a small sample size).
Well, you should drive out to Nokesville, Manassas, Newington, Lusbee, Prince Frederick, Piscataway, Surrattsville, and Stafford some time. That's where the old DC area begins to reveal itself. Just take a trip down the Jefferson Davis Highway past the Sacramento shopping center heading towards the old prison. Even right outside of the Beltway, you'd be surprised by how quickly you see swaths of Old Virginny. My best friend ran the staging ground down there for OFA and we were a bit worried about the level of Romney support in South Fairfax. And these were the type of people who would shut the door in your face after saying, "I'm voting for Rrrom-nay!" Just traveling a few miles down Route 1 literally puts you in South Carolina.

Of course, that population is counterbalanced by huge subdivisions of Asians, Ethiopians, Hispanics and younger white families. But it was an interesting contrast that you don't really see in most of the NYC or Philly burbs. I imagine you'd have to travel a good distance from the city to see the sleeveless NASCAR shirt, pony tail types with the monster truck parked in the backyard. But this was South Fairfax/Prince William, which isn't that far from the city.

Smaller towns in Maryland like Huntington and Lusbee have similar populations. Prince George's County was known as a redneck county. Many of those families relocated to Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's Counties, which have a more distinctly southern feel than anywhere near Philadelphia.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-08-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I love DC, its without a doubt in my top 3 cities in the country. However, for the people that classify cities as a profession, I always see Chicago ranked as a top tier global city, which DC rarely is.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That list is bogus! Decisions made in DC touch every part of your daily existence.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Baltimore is more expensive than Chicago.
If you just start pulling nonsensical statements out of thin air, people are going to disregard things you say that actually make sense. People reading this are currently on the internet. They have google.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
If you just start pulling nonsensical statements out of thin air, people are going to disregard things you say that actually make sense. People reading this are currently on the internet. They have google.
He's been doing this for 35 pages. He'll keep doing it if we continue to encourage him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City