Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:

I've been to DC and Atlanta countless times and DC it definitely does not feel like suburban Atlanta. I don't understand why people would say that.
DC feels way more urban than Atlanta. You probably haven't visited DC in a while.
To be fair, he said areas surrounding DC reminds him of suburban Atlanta. Not DC itself and he is kind of correct in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
You are a good poster. That said, I can't believe that you agree to this broad brushstroke. I'm not saying that it is NOT true. However, the guy names one person: Chief "*****". And you agree to a blanket statement! How many Black Chicagoans have you spoken to, or have heard speak? Was that person from Chicago? Was the Black person in D.C. who sounded less Southern actually from D.C.?
Do you really want me to show examples of the Black Chicago dialect being compared with the Black DC dialect? By all means I would gladly clear up any confusion you or anyone else might have between the two cities.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Do you really want me to show examples of the Black Chicago dialect being compared with the Black DC dialect? By all means I will gladly clear up any confusion you or anyone else might have between the two cities.
Proceed if you must. Unless you compare hundreds of people, I will remain dubious. I'm here in Atlanta. I can speak to a random Black person and hear a Caribbean accent. However, it would be foolish to believe that the said accent is the predominant accent of Black folk in Atlanta.

This thread has gone way left. Criteria: "What city (or district) is more fun to live? Better/Prefer to live? what has better public transportation?"

Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Overall when it comes to food I would give the edge to Chicago since it has more homegrown cuisine that was invented in their city but DC is no slouch by any means.
So do you have an answer to my question or not? I asked what cuisines DC would beat Chicago in and all you have to say is Chicago has a slight "edge" and that DC is no slouch.

Salvadoran and Ethiopian, ok we have two on the table. Any more cuisines you think DC beats Chicago on? It's not Polish, Italian, Russian, Indian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Loan, Mexican, or American, I can tell you that right now. There are only a handful of cities in the world that could beat Chicago and DC will never be one of them.

Let's hear it.

Last edited by scrantiX; 02-08-2013 at 02:51 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Yes, as with everything, there are a million exceptions, but it isn't crazy to say that the Northeast (very generally speaking) has a more cosmopolitan vibe than the Midwest.
And how many cities in the northeast are more cosmopolitan than Chicago? Just NYC..

Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Your a pretty good poster on this site and I normally agree with a lot of your statements but you are dead wrong with this one. Washington DC has more in common with the Northeast than it does with the South. What do you mean people from Jersey on up don't consider DC part of the same region? I can almost guarantee if you ask people up here if DC is part of the Northeast, most will say yes unless they have some personal grudge against the city. Also have you forgotten that NYC is part of the Mid-Atlantic region as well and NYC is not part of the New England region.
No, most people from Jersey on up do not consider Washington, DC part of the Northeast. Many will even say it's in the South. We've already had five bajillion threads and polls on this in the DC forum and elsewhere so I'm not quite sure why people keep resuscitating this argument.

By the way, if you're going to write paragraphs to respond to a point, you should at least have your facts straight. I think it's funny you felt compelled to highlight and bold that New York is not part of New England when that was stated nowhere in any of my posts.

I also find it interesting that I can be said to have a "grudge against the city" when I was accused not that long ago of being a DC booster.

Quote:
Also what's up with you saying "DC residents try so hard to win the acceptance of the North". Are you kidding me.
No, I'm not kidding you. Washingtonians want acceptance from the North. It's as obvious as the recession in Lebron James' hairline.

Quote:
They let the city speak for itself. Just look at the city's infrastructure, culture, architecture, dialect, etc. and tell me that DC does not feel like a Northeastern city. Your a great poster and I apologize for coming off as a little too forceful but I have to call out nonsense when I see it.
Let's be clear that you're really in no position to speak about Washington DC's culture because you've never lived there. If you spent five years mentoring and tutoring kids from local high schools, attending ANC and civic association meetings, working there, and otherwise adopting the city as a home away from home, then you might be able to speak on it. But "I got family there" is hardly a qualification for really knowing anything about the city or the area's culture.

Aside from rowhouses and transit (which all northern cities do not do well, btw), Washington, DC has little in common with the major cities of the Northeast (or even smaller cities like Providence). Its history is completely different. Its demographics are completely different with the cities of the Northeast being considerably more "ethnic" white. The city "feels" nothing like a Northeastern city. But you would know all this had you actually lived there.

Quote:
Pennsylvania and New Jersey have more in common with states like Maryland and Delaware than they do with Rhode Island or Massachusetts.
This depends on what part of Pennsylvania you are talking about. I think people fail to realize that PA and NY are fairly large states whose major cities (Philly and NY) are very different from the rest of the state. Eastern Pennsylvania is much more like New Jersey. The central part of the state, which some know as "Pennsyltucky," is probably fairly similar to Maryland along the border, and parts of Western PA are probably similar to Ohio or even West Virginia. And that's what makes it funny when people say a certain place is more sophisticated because "it's near the Northeast." Not all of the Northeast has this cosmopolitan and sophisticated vibe. A lot of places are like Harrisburg.

Having gone to school in Boston, I'd say that Philly is more culturally similar to Boston than it is to Washington, DC.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No, most people from Jersey on up do not consider Washington, DC part of the Northeast. Many will even say it's in the South. We've already had five bajillion threads and polls on this in the DC forum and elsewhere so I'm not quite sure why people keep resuscitating this argument.

By the way, if you're going to write paragraphs to respond to a point, you should at least have your facts straight. I think it's funny you felt compelled to highlight and bold that New York is not part of New England when that was stated nowhere in any of my posts.

I also find it interesting that I can be said to have a "grudge against the city" when I was accused not that long ago of being a DC booster.

No, I'm not kidding you. Washingtonians want acceptance from the North. It's as obvious as the recession in Lebron James' hairline.

Let's be clear that you're really in no position to speak about Washington DC's culture because you've never lived there. If you spent five years mentoring and tutoring kids from local high schools, attending ANC and civic association meetings, working there, and otherwise adopting the city as a home away from home, then you might be able to speak on it. But "I got family there" is hardly a qualification for really knowing anything about the city or the area's culture.

Aside from rowhouses and transit (which all northern cities do not do well, btw), Washington, DC has little in common with the major cities of the Northeast (or even smaller cities like Providence). Its history is completely different. Its demographics are completely different with the cities of the Northeast being considerably more "ethnic" white. The city "feels" nothing like a Northeastern city. But you would know all this had you actually lived there.

This depends on what part of Pennsylvania you are talking about. I think people fail to realize that PA and NY are fairly large states whose major cities (Philly and NY) are very different from the rest of the state. Eastern Pennsylvania is much more like New Jersey. The central part of the state, which some know as "Pennsyltucky," is probably fairly similar to Maryland along the border, and parts of Western PA are probably similar to Ohio or even West Virginia. And that's what makes it funny when people say a certain place is more sophisticated because "it's near the Northeast." Not all of the Northeast has this cosmopolitan and sophisticated vibe. A lot of places are like Harrisburg.

Having gone to school in Boston, I'd say that Philly is more culturally similar to Boston than it is to Washington, DC.
This is getting ridiculous. DC doesn't really have anything in common with any of the cities of the north or the south. Philly, NYC, and Boston are pretty much the same place and share similarities. Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston have similarities as well. DC doesn't really have much in common with any of these cities. Again, it's pretty clear DC is the only city that is unique and not just a member of the pack like the rest of these cities. We even have height restrictions and traffic circles with diagonal avenues etc. We have a unique identity that no other city has. You can't really say that about any of the cities I listed. None of the other cities in the nation can claim to be unique as DC can other than New Orleans probably.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:45 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Miami is pretty unique.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Miami is pretty unique.

Not really on built form though. Especially not to the extent Washington D.C. is. What would you say is so unique about Miami and it's design? D.C. has it's own built form style that is not seen anywhere in America. Miami is designed like any other city. As for culture, D.C. has a culture that is not seen anywhere else in the world. Miami is full of Latin American culture. New Orleans has french culture. D.C. has it's own culture that can't be seen or heard anywhere in the world. No other city in the nation can say that.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Chicago is not considered a culturally sophisticated city by any means. DC has more of an international presence. There are just too many things to do in DC on a given day. Chicago doesn't even come close and has no answer for the National Mall. 60 museums in a 2 mile area. Supreme Court, National Archives, Newseum, Spy Museum, Corcoran, American Art Museum, the Portrait Gallery, the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Gardens, and the Renwick Gallery, which focuses on decorative art and American craft. Other must-sees in the District’s museums pantheon include the National Gallery of Art and its Sculpture Garden, the National Museum of Women in the Arts and the Textile Museum. DC is home to the only Leonardo da Vinci in the Western Hemisphere.

I almost feel sorry for those from DC who have such pride in their city. It's like a kid of some corrupt thief who has pride in their family's wealth. They live in the heart of the Matrix, everything they are proud of was paid for by outsiders. Chicago is the polar opposite of DC, possibly the world's most ORGANIC global city, heck it isn't even the capital of Illinois. DC should have remained like Springfield viv-a-vis Chicago....a tiny administrative city. Instead it has metastasized....and is overdue for some much needed chemo. America will only recover when the DC area goes into a total Depression....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City