Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 04:22 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Chicago probably tops LA in this category (unfortunately).

I don't know if this was mentioned b4, but both Chicago and LA based gangs are pretty nationwide, but most gangs in the country fall under the banner of either "People" or "Folks". Even many gangs based in LA like the Bloods (Peoples) and Crips (Folks) and many Hispanic gangs like Latin Kings (Peoples) fall under this umbrella (mostly, the sets outside of LA).

People and Folks originated in Chicago where gangs like the Gangster Disciples, Black Disciples and Spanish Disciples are Folks (Blue flag, hat right, six-point star, pitch fork, etc); while gangs like the Black P. Stones, Vice Lords and Latin Kings are Peoples (Red flag (Gold for Latin Kings), hat turned left, five-point star, playboy bunny, etc).

Now LA gangs do have a heavier influence in Latin America than the Chicago Gangs. This has to to with LA's proximity to Latin America. There are 18 Street and MS-13 gangs all through Central America as well as many Bloods in Belize. However, I still think that Chicago gangs (esp. before many of the leaders were indicted) are way more organized and Mafia-like than the LA gangs.
I just love how people just spew out information they know nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 07:30 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Chicago probably tops LA in this category (unfortunately).

I don't know if this was mentioned b4, but both Chicago and LA based gangs are pretty nationwide, but most gangs in the country fall under the banner of either "People" or "Folks". Even many gangs based in LA like the Bloods (Peoples) and Crips (Folks) and many Hispanic gangs like Latin Kings (Peoples) fall under this umbrella (mostly, the sets outside of LA).

People and Folks originated in Chicago where gangs like the Gangster Disciples, Black Disciples and Spanish Disciples are Folks (Blue flag, hat right, six-point star, pitch fork, etc); while gangs like the Black P. Stones, Vice Lords and Latin Kings are Peoples (Red flag (Gold for Latin Kings), hat turned left, five-point star, playboy bunny, etc).

Now LA gangs do have a heavier influence in Latin America than the Chicago Gangs. This has to to with LA's proximity to Latin America. There are 18 Street and MS-13 gangs all through Central America as well as many Bloods in Belize. However, I still think that Chicago gangs (esp. before many of the leaders were indicted) are way more organized and Mafia-like than the LA gangs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
lol yeah man. Crips and Bloods dont "fall under" People or Folk Nations. It just so happens in many cities outside of Chicago and LA, Crips are likely to have an alliance with Folk and People Nation gangs with Bloods. They dont "fall under" them in any sense though.

I grew up around some Folk (GD) and sure they were cool with Crips, but if they got upset they had no problems calling a Crip a "Crab"

Never gang banged, but growing up in public schools in my city it was unavoidable not knowing this or even being friends with some of these guys at the time.

All of that banging makes no sense. At one point when I was in middle school, there was even something here called "black cherry" where certain Bloods and Folk were cool with each other. I just used to laugh nonsense off as we played ball, then I went home to do my HW when the street lights came on while they went and did whatever.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 08-22-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Rollin 20's are both apparently.

LA--Rollin 20 Neighborhood Bloods who are one of the largest Blood gangs in area and membership. Main Crip enemy are Rollin 30 Harlem Crips. Mexican side of things 18st are their main enimegos. 20s are allied with the Black P Stones (City Gang which Bloods call the Bity) and yes, the BPS City & Jungle neighborhoods are allied with the BPSN in Chicago. T. Rodgers is the guy who started he LA sets.

LBC--Rolling 20 Crips and Long Beach Insane and Broadus has loose affiliations with both gangs. Long Beach is far and away Crip City, with Blood gangs basically nonexistent.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:56 AM

313 posts, read 159,607 times
I used too wonder about this no doubt when it comes
Too organized black gangs, Chicago or Los Angeles has the longest history since the 60s probably Chicago since
the 40s Little longer according to the players who was part of it
And some books. As far as popularity and numbers
Crips and Bloods no doubt has the biggest black gangs
And more mainstream do to music,Entertainers and the first groups
Who relocated and push work to places outside the West Coast.
The Disciples and Vicelords are more organized and more about the Buisness and Political movement with
A government structure like presidents different rank leaders, shot callers soidiers etc and was more secret
Not trying too be on mainstream only certain people could really get involved,now its out of control fracture.
Black gangs la more popular and Chicago more organized.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:03 PM

313 posts, read 159,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
True for black gangs Chicago tho
La more Mexican influence when it come too organized you Have Mexican Mafia also you have to know there
Rivals Nuestra familia North siders who have a long history it self

Old 06-17-2022, 12:35 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
On a statistical level, gang violence is a much bigger problem in Chicago than it is in LA.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:08 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
On a statistical level, gang violence is a much bigger problem in Chicago than it is in LA.
Maybe true, but culturally, gang culture is much bigger in LA. You can go around malls and shopping centers in the LA area city and suburbs and see tons of low riders, “colors,” and more more prominent gang culture.

Living in Chicago for almost 10 years, I can’t say I’ve ever seen “visible” gang culture. In certain neighborhoods on the South and West side, there are infamous gangs and Latin Kings has a large gang presence. It’s just that it’s not as visible here. Crime is worse here, but it doesn’t seem gang-related. Not saying that it’s not. It’s just that you don’t hear about this rival gang vs that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City