Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 10:44 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Hrrm... LA could actually be more scary driving through suburban areas with palm trees, I've thought the same thing about cruising through Miami...

Thing is when you are there, you can't really tell you are in a bad area. Generally if you are in Chicago you can tell when you are in a bad area.
Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

the flashing blue lights are usually dead give aways too...but, I know several blue light areas that are not that bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 12:01 PM

116 posts, read 364,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican773 View Post
whether i am or im not does matter, the question is which city gangbangs harder and LA and Chicago are some of the best cities in the world even with gangs! get back on topic!
who gives a *****?
Are you some retarded 12 yr old posting from your mom's basement?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
who gives a *****?
Are you some retarded 12 yr old posting from your mom's basement?
Who gives a **** about skylines?hot dogs? pizza? architecturelake? mountains?

If people can make threads about that then there can be a thread about gangs.
Jeez.

These annoying elitist always come into crime related threads

"Durr who cares which city is worse"
"This is just my father can kick ur fathers ass type thread"

blah blah.

THere's way more pointless threads out there.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:35 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hrrm... LA could actually be more scary driving through suburban areas with palm trees, I've thought the same thing about cruising through Miami...

Thing is when you are there, you can't really tell you are in a bad area. Generally if you are in Chicago you can tell when you are in a bad area.

the flashing blue lights are usually dead give aways too...but, I know several blue light areas that are not that bad...
That's EXACTLY what I said. You wouldn't know where NOT to drive when driving through LA. You wouldn't know if you're in South Central or not because of the middle-class homes that are abundant in the area. And I said the same thing about Miami. Some of the most DANGEROUS areas of these 2 cities are suburban in nature. While in Chicago you can tell you're in the ghetto EASILY(Public Housing, grimey, dingy, looking areas, etc).

Old 06-05-2010, 12:37 PM

If you guys don't like the thread, then don't go on the thread. I don't condone gang violence, but one has the FREEDOM to make whatever city vs city thread that they want.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

Haha, after living in a shady area of LA for so long, you have to be pretty retarded to not realize if an area is shady or not. Why would tourists go to areas that they know little about with very little in the way of attractions anyways? (this goes for all cities, BTW) Seems like a huge waste of time from the get-go.

No matter where you go, you have to exhibit some sort of street smarts. This can be true if you're visiting NYC or visiting French Lick, IN. Every place has its underbelly, and you have to mentally prepare yourself for that. If you don't, then you're living on a dream world where unicorns frolic and magical fairies help you when you're lost. In the real world, bad people are everywhere but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying the place.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:02 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Haha, after living in a shady area of LA for so long, you have to be pretty retarded to not realize if an area is shady or not. Why would tourists go to areas that they know little about with very little in the way of attractions anyways? (this goes for all cities, BTW) Seems like a huge waste of time from the get-go.

No matter where you go, you have to exhibit some sort of street smarts. This can be true if you're visiting NYC or visiting French Lick, IN. Every place has its underbelly, and you have to mentally prepare yourself for that. If you don't, then you're living on a dream world where unicorns frolic and magical fairies help you when you're lost. In the real world, bad people are everywhere but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying the place.

^This...

If you're from CA or have lived there it's extremely easy to tell when you're in the rougher side of town. Dead giveaways include bars on the windows, gates and fences that are at least a foot taller than you, bars on the entrance, crappier roads, bars that cover every inch of the convenience stores, bars on the people... lol. It's not that difficult.

And also its not true that poorer CA areas never look run down... idk about all of south central but its extremely easy to tell when you're in a less than stellar area in the bay. Having been to Watts, Inglewood and Crenshaw, I'd also say its easy to tell when you're in LA.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:12 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
You people do understand that Chicago has suburbs like Ford Heights, Harvey, and Robbins that are some of the most impoverished, crime-ridden suburbs in the country, right? They look really run-down though and it's no secret that you're in the hood.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
^This...

If you're from CA or have lived there it's extremely easy to tell when you're in the rougher side of town. Dead giveaways include bars on the windows, gates and fences that are at least a foot taller than you, bars on the entrance, crappier roads, bars that cover every inch of the convenience stores, bars on the people... lol. It's not that difficult.

And also its not true that poorer CA areas never look run down... idk about all of south central but its extremely easy to tell when you're in a less than stellar area in the bay. Having been to Watts, Inglewood and Crenshaw, I'd also say its easy to tell when you're in LA.
Those are the same dead giveaways for Florida hoods.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Those are the same dead giveaways for Florida hoods.

Yup... I've been to Miami. I ate at that McDonalds with the big *** lawn in Little Havana next to the historic cuban cigar store on SW 8th. I can see the LA comparisons but honestly they don't look THAT similar, the key difference being how all the houses in Florida have those weird flaps on the windows... hurricane protection I guess? lol

Speaking of not looking that similar, the hoods in the bay don't look too similar to the LA ones either. In Oakland its a lot of victorians and in SF its all row housing. East San Jose looks the most like south central.

Here's 2 pics of East Oakland on Foothill Blvd & 38th I took:

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6959/foothill38th.jpg (broken link)

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6405/foothill38th2.jpg (broken link)

West Oakland is all victorians... its probably the most east coast looking neighborhood in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City