Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Baltimore 47 24.35%
Cincinnati 28 14.51%
Milwaukee 28 14.51%
Pittsburgh 60 31.09%
St. Louis 30 15.54%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:07 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You want isolation, try Denver.

I can see how someone from the BosWash corridor might feel a sense of isolation living anywhere outside that corridor. But Pittsburgh is not at all uniquely isolated compared to any other major metro outside the corridor.

Is Pittsburgh cloudy? Compared to a lot of places it is. Just not compared to Baltimore.
I have a friend at college here in Pittsburgh that used the Philly is close to everything argument why he'd rather live there. I wish I said "what is everything and how often do you actually go to places outside of Philly". Being close to places doesn't mean a thing if you don't actually go to those places more than once or twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:02 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Oh please. The difference in median age between Baltimore and Pittsburgh is a whole six months.

"Better weather" is also a tenuous claim. Baltimore has milder winters but Pittsburgh has milder summers -- I'll gladly take the latter. Baltimore actually averages more precipitation, and according to this site, Baltimore is one of the cloudiest cities in the U.S., one of a few to get 75% cloud cover more than 150 days a year while Pittsburgh doesn't even make the list.

So in short your rationale aren't adding up.
I think this information is false. How can every city to Pittsburgh's east and west be cloudier than Pittsburgh when it sits in the direct path of lake effect snow 5 months out of the year( until the lake freezes over).

Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
I think this information is false. How can every city to Pittsburgh's east and west be cloudier than Pittsburgh when it sits in the direct path of lake effect snow 5 months out of the year( until the lake freezes over).
Pittsburgh is way too far south of the lake to get lake-effect snow. It's tough to find meaningful data on cloud cover or cloudy days or whatever, and many places that do provide data don't explain it very well: "X city has X number of cloudy days" they might say without any explanation as to what they mean by "cloudy" and what counts as a cloudy day. Does that mean it was overcast for an hour and clear the rest of the day? Or cloudy all day? Or for a majority of the daylight hours? If there's some clouds in the sky but still bright out, does that still count as "cloudy?" At least this site has definitions of cloud cover by percentage, which is something.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
Ambiance - Pittsburgh/Baltimore/Milwaukee/Cincinnati/St. Louis
Built Environment - Baltimore/Pittsburgh/St.Louis/Cincinnati/Milwaukee
Culture - Pittsburgh/Baltimore/St. Louis/Cincinnati/Milwaukee
Nightlife - Milwaukee/Baltimore/Pittsburgh/Cincinnati/St. Louis
Outdoor Recreation - Pittsburgh/Baltimore/Milwaukee/Cincinnati/St. Louis
Shopping - Pittsburgh/Baltimore/Milwaukee/Cincinnati/St. Louis
Sports - Pittsburgh/St. Louis/Baltimore/Milwaukee/Cincinnati

Overall:
1. Pittsburgh
2. Baltimore
3. Milwaukee
4. Cincinnati
5. St. Louis

Old 05-29-2010, 01:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is way too far south of the lake to get lake-effect snow. It's tough to find meaningful data on cloud cover or cloudy days or whatever, and many places that do provide data don't explain it very well: "X city has X number of cloudy days" they might say without any explanation as to what they mean by "cloudy" and what counts as a cloudy day. Does that mean it was overcast for an hour and clear the rest of the day? Or cloudy all day? Or for a majority of the daylight hours? If there's some clouds in the sky but still bright out, does that still count as "cloudy?" At least this site has definitions of cloud cover by percentage, which is something.
I lived in Pittsburgh for 15 years, and whenever the lake-effect snow machine got going, Pittsburgh would get occasional bursts of snow flurries, and the sun (moon) would peek through the clouds in between. We'd always get a dusting of snow from the lake. It was never enough to cover the grass. The significant lake-effect snow was always north of I-80. "Alberta Clippers" did more damage to Pittsburgh than any lake-effect snow ever did. (Alberta Clippers would normally give us 1" to 3" of fresh snow.)

Old 05-29-2010, 03:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
I always wondered what they meant by that too. When they say party cloudy does it mean it'll be cloudy part of they day or part of the sky is covered. A lot of times in Baltimore, and most cities on the east coast, we get cumulus clouds. Cumulus clouds will turn a otherwise clear day into a party cloudy day...meteorologist definitions are too vague.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
I also wonder if a day that's cloudy in the morning and sunny in the afternoon (or vice versa) is considered "cloudy." When I lived in Pittsburgh, I don't remember two thirds of the year being nothing but gray. I do remember plenty of mornings in the summer that started off with cloud cover that burnt off by about 10AM and became nice, hot, sunny days.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
I kinda like the feel of Bmore. I like the rowhouses and its close to DC. It has 2 HBCUs and being close to DC gives it close proximity to other things. It is also Southish, and since I'm Southern I can dig it. I was torn between Bmore and Cincy. My gf is from Bmore so I'll be spending more time there, so that was the deciding factor.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:33 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Baltimore.
Close to the ocean, it has a top notch harbor, and it's fairly close to Philly and DC + I'm very familiar with the surrounding towns (Essex, Rosedale, and Dundalk) I love Maryland!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
As others have mentioned, Pittsburgh is a bit south of the "lake effect" snow that inundates upstate NY ( Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany); Pitt's yearly snow totals are usually half ( or less) of the above cities..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City