Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Baltimore 47 24.35%
Cincinnati 28 14.51%
Milwaukee 28 14.51%
Pittsburgh 60 31.09%
St. Louis 30 15.54%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
As others have mentioned, Pittsburgh is a bit south of the "lake effect" snow that inundates upstate NY ( Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany); Pitt's yearly snow totals are usually half ( or less) of the above cities..
Pittsburgh tends to get sloppy winter weather. The average high temperature in January is 34 degrees, which probably explains the sloppiness. Its average snowfall is about 38", and it's located in the "ice belt." Draw a line from Pittsburgh down to Oklahoma City, and places within 50 to 100 miles of that line tend to get crippling ice storms more often than other parts of the country. (Generally, the ice belt gets narrower from west to east.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:42 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
IMHO...PITTSBURGH>>>> PittsburghSkyline.com - Original Photography from the Great City of Pittsburgh by Matt Robinson

Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
I can't comment on Milwaukee since I've never been there.

I would take Baltimore overall because of it close proximity to the other northeastern cities and because of the bay and harbor.

Pittsburgh is a very close second, and the most beautiful of the cities in the poll.

Saint Louis and Cincy are essentially the same place. Both are old river cities living in past glories, with no solid support from their citizens or governments to move out of the mid 1900's

Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
I am shocked to see how little love Cincy is getting. I always thought it was a nice town myself.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:17 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I can't comment on Milwaukee since I've never been there.

I would take Baltimore overall because of it close proximity to the other northeastern cities and because of the bay and harbor.

Pittsburgh is a very close second, and the most beautiful of the cities in the poll.

Saint Louis and Cincy are essentially the same place. Both are old river cities living in past glories, with no solid support from their citizens or governments to move out of the mid 1900's
In terms of no solid support of citizens to change, my observation is once the baby-boomers get shoved off to the side that will change. Oftentimes since the younger generation don't have the cultural baggage or know firsthand any past glories that older generations are nostalgic for. This is very true in St. Louis and I guess other similar cities as well.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Pittsburgh is way too far south of the lake to get lake-effect snow. It's tough to find meaningful data on cloud cover or cloudy days or whatever, and many places that do provide data don't explain it very well: "X city has X number of cloudy days" they might say without any explanation as to what they mean by "cloudy" and what counts as a cloudy day. Does that mean it was overcast for an hour and clear the rest of the day? Or cloudy all day? Or for a majority of the daylight hours? If there's some clouds in the sky but still bright out, does that still count as "cloudy?" At least this site has definitions of cloud cover by percentage, which is something.
Agreed but the link you posted really doesn't include Pittsburgh:

Quote:
The major cities included in these weather rankings are all the cities in the United States with over 440,000 people on July 1, 2006, according to the US Census Bureau's estimates.
Pittsburgh (city proper) didn't have 440,000 people in 2006 so it's left off. The data was actually taken from this page on the NCDC website. Pittsburgh is at 203 cloudy days, which would put it 2nd on the list behind Portland but in front of Cleveland.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I am shocked to see how little love Cincy is getting. I always thought it was a nice town myself.
I found the place a little underwhelming myself. It has a lot of physical similarities to Pittsburgh but it just didn't seem as lively. There was just a weird sort of "meh" hanging over the town.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I found the place a little underwhelming myself. It has a lot of physical similarities to Pittsburgh but it just didn't seem as lively. There was just a weird sort of "meh" hanging over the town.
When I went there in the mid 90s I had a different feel. Then again, I was only a teenager and hadn't seen any true big cities.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 AM

174 posts, read 540,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citypoot View Post
Cincinatti is a very traditional Americana city. A great place for a conservative traditional couple to raise a family, but its progressive scene is a VERY small island.
Perhaps in the hinterlands, but if their alternative weekly newspaper is any indication, Cincinnati-ans are very far to the left. They even elected Jerry Springer for mayor! Plus, I'm always hearing how people I know who went there for a certain length of time got mugged (including many of my very liberal friends.) Even in movies it's portrayed as a rough place.

I ended up voting for Milwaukee even though I've never been there. I think it has a unique heritage and culture shaped by different waves of immigration, it seems to be safer than Cinci and Baltimore, and it's the only city listed with a name of Native American origin (superficial, I know)

Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,090 times
How can you even say that? steelers -6 rings, baltimore-1, cleveland-0. Oh, and winn %
steelers vs browns, pittsburghleads 57-55 win ratio (steelers started off bad, look it up!)
steelers vs ravens, Pittsburgh leads 15-10
So any fan who hates the steelers is simply jealous of their success. It's a joke to compare the three cities Sports. Or do I also have to mention hockey and baseball? No matter what, Baltimore will never get as many rings as the steelers. Try and Try again, but alwasy fallingshort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City