Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:04 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times

Advertisements

My rankings
1.Cleveland
2.Buffalo
3.Seattle
4.Charlotte(have they ever won a championship?)
5.San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 03:16 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Houston, you decide if it is cursed or not.

MLB:
Astros have made 1 world series appearance, 2005, and were swept.

NFL:
Texans have never made the playoffs, but have improved, and got their 1st winning record(9-7) last season.

NBA:
Rockets have consistently made playoffs, but failed this season, and only got as far as the Western Conference Semifinals this decade, losing to the eventual champions Lakers, though provided the most compelling series that year, even better than the Finals, losing 4-3. Championships: 1994 and 1995.

MLS:
2 back to back championships their first 2 years in Houston(2006 and 2007), can't complain. Great soccer franchise with worst record being a 2nd seed in the Western Conference.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
In that case LA and Houston can talk about their curse;

Houston has lost;
- Houston Oilers (NFL)
- Did not get the expansion during the NHL-AHL merger, so Aero's were left out.
- And the things I said about the Rockets up there...

LA:
- Lost Rams and Riders (Two NFL teams) in one week.
- Lost the chance for 2002 expansion franchise because they did not want to build a new stadium.

There are other cities out there that have their share of grief, but LA + No football team/Loss of two football teams in ONE week due to stadium is a pretty big curse for a city of that size.
But LA has college football with USC that filled the void. Those USC championships looks like they helped the city's sports scene, that is until MY Texas Longhorns and a man by the name of Vincent Young went to Pasadena and shocked the world IN Los Angeles County in 06.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Houston, you decide if it is cursed or not.

MLB:
Astros have made 1 world series appearance, 2005, and were swept.

NFL:
Texans have never made the playoffs, but have improved, and got their 1st winning record(9-7) last season.

NBA:
Rockets have consistently made playoffs, but failed this season, and only got as far as the Western Conference Semifinals this decade, losing to the eventual champions Lakers, though provided the most compelling series that year, even better than the Finals, losing 4-3. Championships: 1994 and 1995.

MLS:
2 back to back championships their first 2 years in Houston(2006 and 2007), can't complain. Great soccer franchise with worst record being a 2nd seed in the Western Conference.
Last year we got to round two against the Lakers and took them all the way to game 7, without our two main superstar players, Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, and losing a key player Mutumbo. And Artest continuously being benched for his abrupt behavior.
That's pretty good. We lost because Houston always chokes in 3rd quarter. The moment a team gets the lead Houston starts failing and when the gap gets to like 6 points Houston quits... they don't even try after that.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:28 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Has any city with at least 3 sports teams gone almost a half a decade without a championship. While having all three sports teams Cleveland hasn't won a championship in 40 years, without the Cavs two teams haven't won for 46 years. I don't think any city comes close, except Seattle and Buffalo. Supersonics won in the 70s, so Seattle has gone a long time. Even than Cleveland still has them beat, and not in a good category lol. Rockets won NBA titles in the 90s, Saints just won a Superbowl, yeah the Cubs have gone a very long time but Chicago had the Bulls of the 90s and the White Sox won the World Series in 2005. Phillies just won the world series in 2008. Dallas won Superbowls in the 90s. San Fransico won Superbowls in the 80s. Oakland won 2 World Series in the last 25 years. LA just won the NBA title, and won several from 1999, 2000, and 2001, and the Angels won the World Series in 2002. New York City, Giants won the Superbowl a few years back, Yankess just won a World Series. Boston has two World Series, 3 Superbowls, and an NBA championship all last decade. Pittsburgh two Superbowls last decade. Miami, Marlins won a World Series and Heat won a championship in 2006 last decade. Tampa Bay Bucaneers won a Superbowl in 2002. Denver had two Superbowls in the 90s, and the Avalanche won the Stanly Cup in 2001(sorry thats the only hockey championship I know about just because I live in Colorado, so I haven't put any others down. San Antonio 3 nba titles last decade, and one in the 90s. Yeah i think you get the point, no one is as cursed as Cleveland. Even cities with one or two teams have won championships more recently than Cleveland. Oh the only reason I put down all those cities and championships is because those cities shouldn't even be brought up now lol.
GREAT point. Cleveland should definitely be number one, none of the above cities can really compare(Seattle is possibly the closest). But Charlotte, and Jacksonville don't have any championships either. But Cleveland has more pro sports teams than both of these cities and can't win a title in ANY of those sports, and if LeBron leaves Cleveland, than that's a WHOLE nother animal for you guys to worry about. I Feel bad for YOU guys up there.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But LA has college football with USC that filled the void. Those USC championships looks like they helped the city's sports scene, that is until MY Texas Longhorns and a man by the name of Vincent Young went to Pasadena and shocked the world IN Los Angeles County in 06.
The Rose Bowl is ALWAYS a huge marketed event, and it's certainly helped LA so much.

But still, think about 2nd largest city in our country, and no NFL team.
They constantly get ragged on for that all the time, especially from the Raiders and Rams fans.

My cousin himself from the San Jose (Bay Area) rags on LA's lack of NFL team, and his friends too. But that's just them being immature adults, or homers since NorCal-SoCal have sports competition.

But yeah it's still not good for their overall image.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Has any city with at least 3 sports teams gone almost a half a decade without a championship. While having all three sports teams Cleveland hasn't won a championship in 40 years, without the Cavs two teams haven't won for 46 years. I don't think any city comes close, except Seattle and Buffalo. Supersonics won in the 70s, so Seattle has gone a long time. Even than Cleveland still has them beat, and not in a good category lol. Rockets won NBA titles in the 90s, Saints just won a Superbowl, yeah the Cubs have gone a very long time but Chicago had the Bulls of the 90s and the White Sox won the World Series in 2005. Phillies just won the world series in 2008. Dallas won Superbowls in the 90s. San Fransico won Superbowls in the 80s. Oakland won 2 World Series in the last 25 years. LA just won the NBA title, and won several from 1999, 2000, and 2001, and the Angels won the World Series in 2002. New York City, Giants won the Superbowl a few years back, Yankess just won a World Series. Boston has two World Series, 3 Superbowls, and an NBA championship all last decade. Pittsburgh two Superbowls last decade. Miami, Marlins won a World Series and Heat won a championship in 2006 last decade. Tampa Bay Bucaneers won a Superbowl in 2002. Denver had two Superbowls in the 90s, and the Avalanche won the Stanly Cup in 2001(sorry thats the only hockey championship I know about just because I live in Colorado, so I haven't put any others down. San Antonio 3 nba titles last decade, and one in the 90s. Yeah i think you get the point, no one is as cursed as Cleveland. Even cities with one or two teams have won championships more recently than Cleveland. Oh the only reason I put down all those cities and championships is because those cities shouldn't even be brought up now lol.
NBA wise, Seattle has it PRETTY bad. They were stripped of their team and had to watch them leave for a smaller city, Oklahoma City...
I think with the NBA, I would say Seattle and San Deigo have it the worst.

San Deigo lost the Rockets, then they lost the Clippers. And people in LA don't even care about the Clippers. The team would've been better in San Deigo.

The city that has it THE WORST is Las Vegas. Due to the gambling scene, sports franchise hesitate and have a heart attack before even considering the city for a team... I mean they wouldn't want another Micheal Vick incident, or would they....

Old 05-15-2010, 03:38 PM

571 posts, read 943,597 times
Cleveland.

As of the other day, we are now going to loose the prime focus of our economy & quite literally the only thing keeping us from breaking off of Ohio and drifting away into the depths of Lake Erie: Lebron James.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Cleveland.

As of the other day, we are now going to loose the prime focus of our economy & quite literally the only thing keeping us from breaking off of Ohio and drifting away into the depths of Lake Erie: Lebron James.
Why where's he going?

Also I don't think Shaq has been a big help at all to Cleveland. But you know what they say, everywhere Shaq goes, the championship is soon to follow.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:41 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Cleveland.

I really hope your being sarcastic lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City