Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
It's quite possible in northeast corridor cities. Many households that own a car do so as either a luxury or a backup. I own a car because I can afford it, and having kids it is good for emergency purposes or trips out of the city. But I don't need a car, and can easily go days and days without using it.
Yes, of course it's quite possible in many cities - even outside of the Northeast. But the post you responded to said it's still not practical. There's a big difference in possible and practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:14 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,025,238 times
In many countries in the world, a city where most people have a car would be considered nice/better, but the reverse is the case in the US?

Old 05-20-2010, 01:18 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yes, of course it's quite possible in many cities - even outside of the Northeast. But the post you responded to said it's still not practical. There's a big difference in possible and practical.
Practical is too subjective. People have very different thresholds for what they are willing to do. Some can't conceive of walking a few blocks to pick up a gallon of milk. Car free living is not for them, and they wouldn't consider it practical. A lot of people might be willing to go car free but admit it is more practical to have one.

But then there are also counter examples. If I walk to a nearby restaurant to pick up some take out, it's faster than driving because driving requires a series of one way streets, finding parking, etc. Likewise, if I drive to work, it takes longer than riding the subway due to traffic. So driving in those situations is impractical to me. But somebody who won't walk no matter what, would disagree.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
why would anyone not want a car

Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Sometimes, especially if you live in New York, cars can be a hassle. Having to pay for things that stop running, nowhere to park etc. things like that. It's nice to be able to just leave your home and walk, take a bus, train, taxi etc. to where you need to go.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,635 times
It's nearly impossible to be "car-free" in Rockford, Illinois. It would be a negative thing, more like being "car-less." LOL

Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Finding parking
Paying for parking
Finding a place to live with parking
Insurance
Traffic
Unconvenient for short trips
Inspections

It depends on where you live and what you are used to.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Well, being a car guy, I am glad that Los Angeles is near the bottom of the list.
With all the car shows out here, including the year-'round weekly ones, it wouldn't be much fun if most people didn't own cars!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
It's surprising to see that, even in New York, 44.3 percent of households own a vehicle. I would guess that some of the other cities on the list (Newark, New Orleans, Miami, Cleveland, Detroit, and Oakland) have low vehicle ownership rates because of economics, rather than because transit is particularly accessible or that the particular city is walkable.
I would otherwise agree w/ the others, but in the case of Newark, it's a big city crammed into a tiny area that many residents can get along w/o a car.

Most train lines in NJ go through one of Newark's major train stations

Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
How isn't transit accessible in those cities? Especially Miami, Oakland, and Cleveland, maybe even Detroit..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City