Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: (Las Vegas NV) vs. (Pittsburgh PA)
Las Vegas, NV 43 36.75%
Pittsburgh, PA 74 63.25%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

They both have low priced real estate...lower cost of living.

Pittsburgh has more of a CITY...tons of colleges...mountain setting....east coast/midwest....more famous in its history..but still a lot of solid structure there.

Las Vegas...a new city...desert landscape...out west...new houses everywhere...etc.

If you were to choose....which city would you prefer...and WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Pa

Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
pittsburgh, the actual city of las vegas (off the strip) isn't all that cool. I think I'd want something else after awhile.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times
I'll visit the desert, but I'll never live in it. Other then just not being a desert, four seasons are important to me, so Pittsburgh. It's also way prettier than Vegas, it has more of city feel too, and you have natural beauty all around.
Lastly, i really really hate the desert. It's a dusty, depressing, land of death to me lol, no offense, I just don't like it.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Let's see here, there's a city with beautiful natural scenery, a downtown thats larger than many cities larger than it, has same great professional sports teams, is situated between two of the greatest regions in the country, pretty green, and great schools.

Who do you think I'm talking about?

Then there's a city that has 4 miles along something called "the strip" with endless entertainment, but the rest of the city is pretty boring, and is isolated in the desert, hours and hours away from other large cities.

Which one do you think I'm talking about?

The winner:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._city_pano.jpg

^^^ Pretty nice, huh? I thought so too.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
I visited Las Vegas for the 1st time last fall and generally liked the strip (especially some of the newer buildings like City Center) as well as the kitsch of the wedding chapels. But there's no way I'd consider living there. Pittsburgh is a fully realized city, and a much more interesting place IMO with a wealth of great architecture (vs Vegas spectacle) and lots of interesting neighborhoods (vs Vegas's planned subdivisions or golf course communities).

Pittsburgh!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The winner:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._city_pano.jpg

^^^ Pretty nice, huh? I thought so too.
I had to save that. See how pretty it is everybody?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
Definitely Pittsburgh, Las Vegas seems like one of those cities that when you get off the strip your in the middle of nowhere.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I'll visit the desert, but I'll never live in it. Other then just not being a desert, four seasons are important to me, so Pittsburgh. It's also way prettier than Vegas, it has more of city feel too, and you have natural beauty all around.
Lastly, i really really hate the desert. It's a dusty, depressing, land of death to me lol, no offense, I just don't like it.
Hate can turn to love in a split second, and vice versa.

30 years ago, I would have agreed with you. But this MN native has now come to appreciate the true beauty of the desert. It took a awhile, and now any kind of greenery can't compare to it. The desert grows on you. It's very spiritual, miss the spiritual message and you've missed it.

These inspiring sunsets and sunrises can leave me breathless. The desert's landscape can change with just a cloud passing by. Ugly, one minute ago, breathtakingly beautiful the next minute. Just like magic!

At one time, I hated these treeless mountains around here, now when I visit the Northwest with the treed mountains, I don't see much beauty in it. There's this impulse to just go up and chop all the trees down and see what the mountains looks like, bare naked. In Pittsburgh, the same impulse would probably strike, chop the trees down, let me see what this hill or mountain looks like.

Deathlike? The greatest gift any of us will ever receive on this planet is the gift of death. So what's ugly about death?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
Pittsburgh is stunning! I hope it gets the comeback they're pushing for because it deserves it. There's just something about those Rust Belt cities that can't be replicated in other areas. I've never been to Vegas...while I love the Desert Southwest, Vegas just isn't on my must visit list. Besides, Pittsburgh has Primanti Brothers! What Las Vegas has over Pittsburgh though is parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City