Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 94 59.49%
Houston 64 40.51%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The keywords are "history"; lets try stepping into the 21st century.
Open a book about this country. Oh wait, Texas is rewriting history.

The city of Boston is a financial and commercial center due to it's port-that's the point. That Boston has ALWAYS been a financial and commercial center due to it for 400 years.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
The keywords are "history"; lets try stepping into the 21st century.
Boston is very much a modern city that's in-tune with the 21st Century as well as thriving in it's historical legacy. Both can be done. Cities such as Atlanta or Houston are more well known for tearing down their history. And that is a shame.

Given that you said before that you don't care much for historical sites or the importance of history, I'm not surprised that this was your response.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Boston is very much a modern city that's in-tune with the 21st Century as well as thriving in it's historical legacy. Both can be done. Cities such as Atlanta or Houston are more well known for tearing down their history. And that is a shame.

Given that you said before that you don't care much for historical sites or the importance of history, I'm not surprised that this was your response.
We're talking about the importance of the ports today;why do we need to bring up the Boston Tea Party and that other stuff that happened many years ago???

Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Sure it is. It is the oldest continous port in the western hempishere. MASSPORT: Ports: About the Port: History

It's certainly older than Houston's. I know, I know, it's yet another plus about Boston that upsets you.
But Houston still has a busier/more prominent port, without question. For example, in 2006, Boston's port handled 201,000 TEU containers. In that same year, the Port of Houston handled 1.6 million TEU containers. Boston's current port doesn't compare. So what if petroleum helps in that? Petroleum is used to make a lot of things. The Port of Houston probably gets more traffic from Europe than Boston's port.

We all should embrace our nation's history, but just because Boston was a major port 200 years ago does not mean its the same way today...in 2010. Things change.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
But Houston still has a busier/more prominent port, without question. For example, in 2006, Boston's port handled 201,000 TEU containers. In that same year, the Port of Houston handled 1.6 million TEU containers. Boston's current port doesn't compare. So what if petroleum helps in that? Petroleum is used to make a lot of things. The Port of Houston probably gets more traffic from Europe than Boston's port.

We all should embrace our nation's history, but just because Boston was a major port 200 years ago does not mean its the same way today...in 2010. Things change.
This. I wasn't saying ignore the history of America, but we're speaking on about what's important and significant as of today.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
We're talking about the importance of the ports today;why do we need to bring up the Boston Tea Act and that other stuff???
"That other stuff" is of historical significance and is important in its own way. However, I do agree that Houston has a larger and busier port. That pretty much goes without saying. But it's not as if Boston is some backwater port.

Boston's proximity to Europe is important to me, just as how Seattle's proximity to Asia compared to other West Coast cities is important.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
We're talking about the importance of the ports today;why do we need to bring up the Boston Tea Act and that other stuff???
Oh please, if it happened in Houston, you wouldn't let us forget it, and you, I, and everyone knows that.

Why deny what happened if it's relevant?

Would you deny the history of London to the Thames, or the Seine in Paris, or the Tiber in Rome? What about New York's Harbor?

Again, the Port of Boston-which in the 21st century is one of the largest ports on the eastern seaboard. But given the fact the city is 400 years old, and that the fact you are American is directly tied to the Port of Boston. That's the fact. That's pretty damn important.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Oh please, if it happened in Houston, you wouldn't let us forget it, and you, I, and everyone knows that.

Why deny what happened if it's relevant?

Would you deny the history of London to the Thames, or the Seine in Paris, or the Tiber in Rome? What about New York's Harbor?

Again, the Port of Boston-which in the 21st century is one of the largest ports on the eastern seaboard. But given the fact the city is 400 years old, and that the fact you are American is directly tied to the Port of Boston. That's the fact. That's pretty damn important.
When did I deny it??? and If I really wanted to bring up stuff from the past; I'd address How Galveston was the busiest port in the gulf coast and second busiest port in the country in the late 1800s (Only after NYC) or how Houston's port was home to the First Container Cargo ship, the first Double Stack container train, or TMC was where the world's first and largest air ambulance service was created. But...... I won't.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
"That other stuff" is of historical significance and is important in its own way. However, I do agree that Houston has a larger and busier port. That pretty much goes without saying. But it's not as if Boston is some backwater port.

Boston's proximity to Europe is important to me, just as how Seattle's proximity to Asia compared to other West Coast cities is important.
Hardly. But I wouldn't say it's a major port in today's terms. Maybe a "significant" port.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
When did I deny it??? and If I really wanted to bring up stuff from the past; I'd address How Galveston was the busiest port in the gulf coast and second busiest port in the country in the late 1800s (Only after NYC) or how Houston's port was home to the First Container Cargo ship, the first Double Stack container train, or TMC was where the world's first and largest air ambulance service was created. But...... I won't.
Well I wouldn't care if you did...seeing as how you just did. Boast away.

But those things are hardly on the same "level" as the Tea Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City