Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM

353 posts, read 656,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
San Diego is far milder. Compare Phoenix's winter night lows of 35F to San Diego's 47F. Compare Phoenix's summer day highs of 105F to San Diego's 80F. Plus, SD has the beach, the sea breeze, and the beauty. I will give Phoenix the edge on affordability, and sunshine. SD is sunny, but the marine layer ruins many days, and it rains more than Phoenix (not really a bad thing, though). Phoenix does not have marine layer, and mist is rare.
35 degree lows is a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe on the coldest nights of the year it might hit 35 but it is far from the average low. It is slightly warmer at night in San Diego but only like 3-5 degrees. When the low is 47 in SD it is like 42 or 43 in PHX. It's not the big of a difference. Same with day time highs. When it's 75 on Dec. day in SD it's like 72 or 73 in PHX. Now your summer temps are pretty accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,517 times
I can't resist repeating this (true) story: I was once waiting at a bus stop in San Diego and started talking to a man--a veteran, if that's relevant. I told him that a cousin of mine had recently moved from San Diego to Phoenix. He said "People don't go to Arizona, they're sentenced to Arizona."

Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Phoenix is perfectly fine. Why do people bash it? So what if it's hot...it's a desert!! And San Diego (I'm sure) has it's share of sprawl.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
I'm sure Phoenix is a great city, but I think it better sit this one out.

San Diego, easily.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Phoenix is perfectly fine. Why do people bash it? So what if it's hot...it's a desert!! And San Diego (I'm sure) has it's share of sprawl.
Yes San Diego has it's sprawl, but it has a much much mor urban, dense and lively downtown area.

There is nothink like the gaslamp, Old Town or Balboa Park, and several other hoods like that in Phoenix.

Phoenix is a fairly dead city. While San Diego really isn't hustle and bustle either, when compared to Phoenix it makes it seem that way!

People hate Phoenix because it really doesn't have much of an identity, is unsustainable and for a city it's size is really not that interesting. I think some Chicago suburbs are more exciting than what Phoenix has to offer!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Yes San Diego has it's sprawl, but it has a much much mor urban, dense and lively downtown area.

There is nothink like the gaslamp, Old Town or Balboa Park, and several other hoods like that in Phoenix.

Phoenix is a fairly dead city. While San Diego really isn't hustle and bustle either, when compared to Phoenix it makes it seem that way!

People hate Phoenix because it really doesn't have much of an identity, is unsustainable and for a city it's size is really not that interesting. I think some Chicago suburbs are more exciting than what Phoenix has to offer!
Phoenix is probably one of the most sustainable desert cities. Much more so than Vegas. Phoenix has other sources of water other than the Colorado River. I'd actually take San Diego over Phoenix but making Phoenix out as one the most undesirable places in the country is laughable. There may not be as much to do in Phoenix as some other similar sized cities but much of that is due to the fact that Phoenix is a much newer city. In time it will catch up to other cities. And it's not like there's nothing to do in Phoenix. If you get bored in Old Town Scottsdale that's on you.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
San Diego, I do think the OP meant this as snark.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
San Diego, I do think the OP meant this as snark.
Why? Similar sized cities in the same part of the country. Oh I guess you're in the camp that thinks Phoenix is an oversized Fresno.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Phoenix is probably one of the most sustainable desert cities. Much more so than Vegas. Phoenix has other sources of water other than the Colorado River. I'd actually take San Diego over Phoenix but making Phoenix out as one the most undesirable places in the country is laughable. There may not be as much to do in Phoenix as some other similar sized cities but much of that is due to the fact that Phoenix is a much newer city. In time it will catch up to other cities. And it's not like there's nothing to do in Phoenix. If you get bored in Old Town Scottsdale that's on you.
Are you serious? Phoenix more sustainable than Vegas is your arguement? Well of course, that's a given! But that doesn't mean Phoenix is sustainable. This is like saying "Newark is safer than Detroit". Big whoop.

Phoenix is not the most undesirable city in the country, I can agree to that. But it is the most undesirable to people who like good architecture, diversity, culture, cities with character, identity, density etc. Someone who likes cities like SF, NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, etc, will find Phoenix to be one of the most undesirable cities for sure!

Being new is part of the problem but not entirely. Cities like Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Austin, Miami, etc. are also 'newer' cities yet they have a lot more going on than Phoenix. It's not because they are new, it's because they have built a city that attracts people that builds an urban culture. Phoenix attracts people who want to live in a suburban environment. Phoenix imo does not attract true urbanites, it attracts suburbanites. At least cities like LA, Austin, Miami attract a little bit of both.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Why? Similar sized cities in the same part of the country. Oh I guess you're in the camp that thinks Phoenix is an oversized Fresno.
Well to be honest when comparing Phoenix to SD, yes it is like an oversized Fresno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City