Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM

353 posts, read 656,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Are you serious? Phoenix more sustainable than Vegas is your arguement? Well of course, that's a given! But that doesn't mean Phoenix is sustainable. This is like saying "Newark is safer than Detroit". Big whoop.

Phoenix is not the most undesirable city in the country, I can agree to that. But it is the most undesirable to people who like good architecture, diversity, culture, cities with character, identity, density etc. Someone who likes cities like SF, NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, etc, will find Phoenix to be one of the most undesirable cities for sure!

Being new is part of the problem but not entirely. Cities like Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Austin, Miami, etc. are also 'newer' cities yet they have a lot more going on than Phoenix. It's not because they are new, it's because they have built a city that attracts people that builds an urban culture. Phoenix attracts people who want to live in a suburban environment. Phoenix imo does not attract true urbanites, it attracts suburbanites. At least cities like LA, Austin, Miami attract a little bit of both.
All those sunbelt cities you mentioned are still older than Phoenix. Phoenix only had 100,000 people in 1950! I'd say it's actually done remarkably in such a short time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Well to be honest when comparing Phoenix to SD, yes it is like an oversized Fresno.
If that's the case why hasn't Fresno grown to the size of Phoenix? There has to be something that attracts those to the Valley. Let me guess. All of those Chicagoans who flee to the valley are losers who couldn't hack it in the big city and all long to go back. They were forced to move to Phoenix.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
If that's the case why hasn't Fresno grown to the size of Phoenix? There has to be something that attracts those to the Valley. Let me guess. All of those Chicagoans who flee to the valley are losers who couldn't hack it in the big city and all long to go back. They were forced to move to Phoenix.
Cheap pricing and a suburban setting in a 'big' city with warm weather. People are not moving to Phoenix for it's urbanness, culture or city life.

Trust me the Chicagoans fleeing to Phoenix are not real Chicagoans, they are from the suburbs. Anyway it's not young people, it's old people moving there from the Chicago suburbs. I mean is a 20 something year old going to enjoy the urban environment and have more fun in Chicago or Phoenix? Yeah, no need to answer, we all know the answer.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Cheap pricing and a suburban setting in a 'big' city with warm weather. People are not moving to Phoenix for it's urbanness, culture or city life.

Trust me the Chicagoans fleeing to Phoenix are not real Chicagoans, they are from the suburbs. Anyway it's not young people, it's old people moving there from the Chicago suburbs. I mean is a 20 something year old going to enjoy the urban environment and have more fun in Chicago or Phoenix? Yeah, no need to answer, we all know the answer.
I see younger people from Chicago in Phoenix all the time. Kids from the midwest love going to ASU. There's no comparing the cities as far as the urban core goes. I mean Chicago has so much more history. It's been around longer. Of course you're going to have more to offer culturally than Phoenix but that's not to say Phoenix has nothing urban about it. I see 20 and 30 somethings all the time in Phoenix. They like the lifestyle. And yes they still root for the Cubs, Bears, Bulls, etc. so I wouldn't say they are not real Chicagoans.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:

This is the problem on this site. Not everyone wants to like in an urban and overly cultured place. Sometimes cheap prices and warm weather are all some people look for/need. And if you think there isn't a lot to do in a metro of 4.1 million, that's crazy!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
Quote:

I've told you in other posts many times, PHX is full of young Chicagoans and Illinois people. There's tens of thousands of them, if not more, in the Valley. Why you doubt that I don't know. They're everywhere, Midwest and Rustbelt people flock to PHX, not to retire, to buy their first house and start a family. Perhaps "urbanness" isn't an optimal family environment if you want to avoid bums, adicts, hookers, and dirty graffiti covered back east style downtowns.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times
Phoenix--newer, cleaner (hardly any litter or graffiti), cheaper (more bang for your buck), warmer (better for some), more laid back (similar to California of the 70's/80's), much better roads/freeways and drivers, easier to navigate, beautiful streetscapes abound, just more polished overall.

San Diego--much more expensive, older, grittier, denser, more urban, cooler/cloudier (again, better for some), more family-friendly (too much emphasis on retirees/snowbirds, college kids, and tourists in Phoenix), horrible road/freeways, drivers more aggressive, better location (esp. if the beach/ocean is your thing), less friendly/polite/laid-back (lots more East Coast transplants), people more well-dressed and better educate with more refined tastes.

Very different places, really, and not nearly as similar as posters on C-D make it seem.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Phoenix--newer, cleaner (hardly any litter or graffiti), cheaper (more bang for your buck), warmer (better for some), more laid back (similar to California of the 70's/80's), much better roads/freeways and drivers, easier to navigate, beautiful streetscapes abound, just more polished overall.

San Diego--much more expensive, older, grittier, denser, more urban, cooler/cloudier (again, better for some), more family-friendly (too much emphasis on retirees/snowbirds, college kids, and tourists in Phoenix), horrible road/freeways, drivers more aggressive, better location (esp. if the beach/ocean is your thing), less friendly/polite/laid-back (lots more East Coast transplants), people more well-dressed and better educated, fewer trucks/SUV's on the road.

Very different places, really, and not nearly as similar as posters on C-D make it seem.
I was missing your stereotyping. Where ya been last 7 days buddy? Don't forget about us your dedicated CD fans!! Funny stuff bro

Keep up the good work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City