Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM

489 posts, read 1,325,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
In the General US and City-vs-City forums, I see a great deal of Atlanta, Houston, NYC, Boston, Chicago, SF; a moderate of Los Angeles, DC ( seriously, it's not talked about all that much), Philly, Miami; I really don't see Dallas being discussed very often, and I seemed to have missed all these discussions about Phoenix...

I think this just about sums it up, except that I have seen a whole lot of the (undeserved) Phoenix bashing that you missed. Just look up any thread about sunbelt cities, cities you would never visit, cities you would never live in, hot vs. cold weather, etc. and you will see the Phoenix bashers come out in full force.

Last edited by Kris000; 05-26-2010 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-26-2010, 03:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
LOL, all of the highlighted things I literally LOLed on, and the one in red, I literally ROFLed on that one.

Sad to say, Grindin is right.

Us Houston people really do over do the boasting a bit. I try to stay balanced simply because I really do believe stereotypes like "friend snickers- WTH is this by the way?!?! can someone answer please?" and "hillbilly" it tends to tick us off how people still view us. But I acknowledge to the boosting from us Southerners in general not just Houston but us all.
This isn't the 1800's folks. Haha.

I see the NE posters, some of them are comical, they hate the south and the west, but they're subtle about it, like sometimes when a southerner brags about something which can be incorrect, I know a NE or two who will respond by agreeing to it and I know for a fact that they're doing it to make fun of other posters. I actually think the ones who are more open about it are less cowardly, and more respectable, but at the same time, they're too driven by stereotypes. Apparently playing the density, history, and sprawl card on everyone else seems to be a magnificent way to dismiss other cities from even being considered a competition.

The southern posters (including Texas): Oh man, apparently the economic world revolves around us, right? Hell no... Just because we're growing faster doesn't mean jack... I think some southerners step off the wrong plate when they try to claim for being the best in something they're not. And southerners do at times become extremely emotional, but who can blame them for being so sometimes when being called "hillbilly" or something every other thread. Still no excuse to get carried away. Playing the "but we came after your time" card gets annoying, it's not a way to say we're growing faster, it's simply a way to boast about your place, people really need to stop with that..

I actually like the West Coast posters the most. I see a ton of Los Angeles bashing going on, so i don't think it should be one of the top 5 cities, there's so much hatred here for that city and it goes so undeserved... smog, pollution, public transportation, sprawl, suburbia.... Los Angeles isn't like that anymore, it's made strives to change so much. Another city that gets massive hate is Phoenix, it's so undeserved, Phoenix never harmed anyone.
Same here. The Cali posters seem to be the most humble, AND the Florida posters. Florida posters bash Florida to the point that the negatives are GREATLY over-exaggerated. Soon they'll be saying 20 hurricanes strike Florida a day.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
I think this just about sums it up, except that I have seen a whole lot of the (undeserved) Phoenix bashing that you missed. Just look up any thread about sunbelt cities, cities you would never visit, cities you would never live in, hot vs. cold weather, etc. and you will see the Phoenix bashers come out in full force.
I admit that I don't read every thread; if I see threads comparing two Sun Belt cities ( i.e. Houston vs. LA, Atlanta vs. Dallas), I generally don't read them, since I don't have much to add to the discussion.

Again, I rarely see DC discussed in any great detail; it's only mentioned when talking about " the 5 greatest US cities", or some such poll. It's the same case with Dallas, perhaps to an even greater degree.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Again, I rarely see DC discussed in any great detail; it's only mentioned when talking about " the 5 greatest US cities", or some such poll.
Well, I've been trying to remedy that. Ask for any detail you want.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
quoted post deleted

Good post and quite a chuckle - more true than false

And I disagree on the conspiracy it is even worse than a conspiracy I believe the next National Treasure movie will expose the real truth and its called the "single commuter theory". Truth be told it will emerge the largest city in America when the lost underground civilization of Camden emerges with the secret formula of Coca-Cola and that NASA's control center actually has been hiding the Rosewell Aliens in Mercer County under the protection of NYC. I just hope they finish filming before the next census comes out

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-26-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 04:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
I admit that I don't read every thread; if I see threads comparing two Sun Belt cities ( i.e. Houston vs. LA, Atlanta vs. Dallas), I generally don't read them, since I don't have much to add to the discussion.
Thank you! I wish more members would observe this.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:02 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:

Again, I rarely see DC discussed in any great detail; it's only mentioned when talking about " the 5 greatest US cities", or some such poll. It's the same case with Dallas, perhaps to an even greater degree.
When DC is mentioned, it's usually a city that people really love or REALLY HATE. There is rarely any in-between. The posters that tend to hate it tend to be shall we say, extremely over-analytical and long-winded about their reasons. Sure, the area gets criticized for it's high COL and a lot make remarks about rude people or the political leanings of the region (understandable, it takes a certain type of person to make it up there, it's not for everyone) However, some of the anti-DC Area bitter-party-of-many crowd take it even further to a level that borderlines on the ridiculous. You'd think they'd utilize all the time the take to creating long-winded essays about why they hate DC so much and actually apply it to something useful, like tweaking their resumes and picking up some freelance writing work so they can move somewhere more to their liking.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:24 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
In the media in general NYC and DC tend to heavily dominate all discussions. Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, LA, and San Francisco suck up most of the rest. TV series are almost never set in Austin, Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio. In comparison Texas cities get a fair amount of attention here.

Still I think there might be a tendency to ignore cities in landlocked states. Both in the culture and here. Only cable channels seem willing to do series set in Oklahoma (Saving Grace, TNT), Kentucky (Justified, FX), and so forth. Fox has done Glee, which is set in Lima, Ohio I believe, but it's kind of a Fantasy or Satire. (Granted Saving Grace is more fantastical than Glee, but traditionally it plays the characterization and situations more "straight" and gritty than Glee in my experience) And maybe you get that ignoring of "fly-over country" here too, but in some ways I think there's improvement.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
^ I would add Miami to the Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, LA, and San Francisco list...think about how many movies, tv shows, songs etc. Miami is in or has been in. It seems like people forget about MIA sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City