Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times

Advertisements

1 - NYC
2 - SF
3 - Chicago
4 - DC
5 - Boston/LA

I mean lets just change the title from City vs City to NYC vs City....

I know I'm going to be bashed but I don't care...someone needs to say something...

City vs City has become so defacto and generic...You can't get an honest opinion anymore...

If the title of the Thread start with or has the word "BEST" anywhere in the subject you can take it to the bank that the above 6 cities will be mention regardless of topic...Regardless if it's even true or not....

I live in NYC - love NYC - been here for 13 years....but I'm not going to deny that this is not the Best of everything when it comes to some of the topics here....Not even a top 5 city...But i guess because NYC is the USA largest city, the most Glitz and Glam'd, and is the most prevalant in the Media its wins on every topic by defualt....Here's a secert for those that dont know..visiting NYC and Living NYC are two totally different animals almost 2 totally different cities one would say (excluding if you are of the wealthy class or making mid-to high 6 figure salaries)....

Even right here on City vs City shows just how underrated cities like

Philly
Seattle
Portland
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Buffalo
San Deigo
Houston
Dallas

really are....we prove this here everyday, you dont need to visit these cities to show that.

End of RANT.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Think about what your top 5 cities represent. They are large and in charge-economically, socially, poltically. They dominate news and other media. They time and time again show their importance. They also happen to be the largest metro areas, far exceeding the cities below.

The other cities just aren't that "important" - a term I'll use loosely.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
I would say cities like Houston, Dallas and Atlanta get a ton of press here on CD...even if a lot of it is negative...

Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Five cities? You listed six cities...

And let me just say that Houston and Philly receive plenty of discussion on this site...along with Atlanta, which got no mention anywhere. These, along with a couple of others not mentioned in your "five" cities, are certainly not feeling left out.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I would say cities like Houston, Dallas and Atlanta get a ton of press here on CD...even if a lot of it is negative...
I totally agree. Look at how many threads concern the South and the Sunbelt on any given day.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
1 - NYC
2 - SF
3 - Chicago
4 - DC
5 - Boston/LA

I mean lets just change the title from City vs City to NYC vs City....

I know I'm going to be bashed but I don't care...someone needs to say something...

City vs City has become so defacto and generic...You can't get an honest opinion anymore...

If the title of the Thread start with or has the word "BEST" anywhere in the subject you can take it to the bank that the above 6 cities will be mention regardless of topic...Regardless if it's even true or not....

I live in NYC - love NYC - been here for 13 years....but I'm not going to deny that this is not the Best of everything when it comes to some of the topics here....Not even a top 5 city...But i guess because NYC is the USA largest city, the most Glitz and Glam'd, and is the most prevalant in the Media its wins on every topic by defualt....Here's a secert for those that dont know..visiting NYC and Living NYC are two totally different animals almost 2 totally different cities one would say (excluding if you are of the wealthy class or making mid-to high 6 figure salaries)....

Even right here on City vs City shows just how underrated cities like

Philly
Seattle
Portland
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Buffalo
San Deigo
Houston
Dallas

really are....we prove this here everyday, you dont need to visit these cities to show that.

End of RANT.
Well it makes sense; if you make thread talking about "Waco vs. Macon" or "Bakersfield vs. Syracuse" there won't be much discussion.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I totally agree. Look at how many threads concern the South and the Sunbelt on any given day.
Exactly...and unfortunately the threads usually turn into Northeast/Midwestern attacks with Southern defense.

"YOU'VE GOT SPRAWL!"
"SO DO YOU!"
"&$#%&*$@^&@&!"

That's a pretty routine back-and-forth on those threads it seems haha.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:58 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Most of the time, the number of discussions about a particular city depend on how many members that city has on city-data. The cities with the largest number of members usually get the most attention.

That being said, many people from all over love to focus on the sunbelt - presumably because it has been a very popular relocation area for a couple of decades...and because some think the cities there aren't worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as other U.C. cities.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I think there should be more city vs. city threads with more detailed comparisons on many different factors. Not less.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
um, you forgot Houston and Dallas. I'm just as tired of seeing Houston vs. ______ threads, or Texas city vs. Texas city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City