Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,335 times

Advertisements

RTP might be famous, but I don't think the city of Raleigh is. Many people know RTP is there, but they don't know the exact cities in the RTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Kind of, but the Bobcats and Panthers really help Charlotte out a bit. Even though RTP and it's schools get so much fame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:01 AM

37 posts, read 132,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
To me Charleston, South Carolina and Santa Fe, New Mexico are probably the best example so far.

The following are kind of guesses.

From Virginia Richmond might be better known than Virginia Beach.

From North Carolina Raleigh might be better known than Charlotte.
Richmond is a good example. I hadn't thought of that one. Inside NC, I know that Charlotte gets the spotlight the most here, but not sure how the rest of the country views the two.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I think Kansas City is bigger than St. Louis, but I believe St. Louis is more famous.
St Louis is bigger by almost a million people.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,256,045 times
In Ohio, Cleveland has always been the most prominent, cosmopolitan and most widely recognized city in the state.
Cleveland, historically had always been the most populated city in Ohio, until Columbus surpassed CLE around 15 years ago. ( Mid 1990s )
It was interesting to see on the tv show "JEOPARDY", the host posed a question pertaining to Ohios capitol city. Two of the three contestants identified "Cleveland" as the capitol city ... and that is largely due to it's instant name recognition and worldliness.

Bottom line:

The most famous city is Cleveland> The Largest city is now Columbus

Also interesting ...

The Cleveland metro area is still the most populated urban area in the state. Cuyahoga county, where Cleveland is the county seat, is still the most populated county in Ohio.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Just going by city population, not metro population.

Miami, Orlando, and Tampa > Jacksonville
St. Louis > Kansas City
Santa Fe > Albuquerque
Cleveland and Cincinnati > Columbus
Kansas City, KS > Wichita
Charleston > Columbia
Nashville > Memphis
Green Bay > Milwaukee
Hartford > Bridgeport
Raleigh > Charlotte
Ummm no.... straight up. Madison has a better shot at claiming more fame than Milwaukee than Green Bay does.

Milwaukee is still top dog in Wisconsin.

People in China watch basketball games in Milwaukee, especially when they play the Rocket's. It's the most televised American Sports match up in China. They might not know what the city looks like, but they know the sole existence of Milwaukee because of the Chinese basketball player on their team. I don't know if he's still on the team, but yes, you can find articles about the Rockets-Bucks match up and how televised it gets in China.

It's about 3 years old now, but yeah read the article first;
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3101114
That's an estimated 200 million viewers in China, all rocking the name of the Houston Rocket's and Milwaukee Bucks.

Winning the first two superbowl's and having the only NFL team in your state doesn't make you better known.

Last edited by DANNYY; 05-27-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:04 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,648 times
This is pretty hard but would anyone say San Francisco is more famouse than Los Angeles?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,188,171 times
^ I'd say LA is more known nationally and internationally than SF.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Due to the abitrary city limits in US, this can have some cities, such as Jacksonville (Miami), Columbus (Cleveland), Memphis (Nashville), Kansas City(St. Louis). However, if you ask states in which the most famous metro area is less populated than the most populated, I doubt there is any.
It's difficult to say which is most famous, since that's subjective, but if you consider this in terms of events in history, one city that has already been mentioned a couple of times would most likely be its state's most famous or historic city, while its metro area is not the largest in the state. That would be Richmond.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,961,424 times
Quote:
Ummm no.... straight up. Madison has a better shot at claiming more fame than Milwaukee than Green Bay does.

People in China watch basketball games in Milwaukee, especially when they play the Rocket's. It's the most televised American Sports match up in China. They might not know what the city looks like, but they know the sole existence of Milwaukee because of the Chinese basketball player on their team. I don't know if he's still on the team, but yes, you can find articles about the Rockets-Bucks match up and how televised it gets in China.

Chinese TV audience for first Yao vs. Yi game may far exceed Super Bowl - NBA - ESPN
That's an estimated 200 million viewers in China, all rocking the name of the Houston Rocket's and Milwaukee Bucks.

Winning the first two superbowl's and having the only NFL team in your state doesn't make you better known.
Are you actually trying to say that the Milwaukee Bucks are more well known than the Green Bay Packers? If you are, I honestly can't take anything you say seriously. The Packers are one of the most famous sports teams in the world. For people on this site who actually know about cities, Milwaukee has much more substance and people will know more about it. However, to the rest of the people in this country and world who generally don't know very much about other US cities, Green Bay could very well be more famous because of the Packers. Although Milwaukee is a much bigger and infinitely better city, it isn't very famous for anything. One Bucks game in China isn't going to overpower decades of worldwide fame of the Green Bay Packers.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:

Chinese TV audience for first Yao vs. Yi game may far exceed Super Bowl - NBA - ESPN

Yi actually plays for the Nets now, but that's so weird you know about this. Back in 2008, a friend of mine got to go to Shenzhen with his dad who was part of a Milwaukee delegation sent to China to promote the Bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City