Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Are you actually trying to say that the Milwaukee Bucks are more well known than the Green Bay Packers? If you are, I honestly can't take anything you say seriously. The Packers are one of the most famous sports teams in the world. For people on this site who actually know about cities, Milwaukee has much more substance and people will know more about it. However, to the rest of the people in this country and world who generally don't know very much about other US cities, Green Bay could very well be more famous because of the Packers. Although Milwaukee is a much bigger and infinitely better city, it isn't very famous for anything. One Bucks game in China isn't going to overpower decades of worldwide fame of the Green Bay Packers.
American football isn't particularly big internationally. Basketball and baseball are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Are you actually trying to say that the Milwaukee Bucks are more well known than the Green Bay Packers? If you are, I honestly can't take anything you say seriously. The Packers are one of the most famous sports teams in the world. For people on this site who actually know about cities, Milwaukee has much more substance and people will know more about it. However, to the rest of the people in this country and world who generally don't know very much about other US cities, Green Bay could very well be more famous because of the Packers. Although Milwaukee is a much bigger and infinitely better city, it isn't very famous for anything. One Bucks game in China isn't going to overpower decades of worldwide fame of the Green Bay Packers.
I agree with this. I think it's a shame that more people know about Green Bay and Madison than Milwaukee, but that's the power of sports I guess. Badgers are a Big Ten team and the Packers are neck and neck with the Cowboys as far as well known football teams go. Milwaukee should be known for beer (Miller, Leinenkugel's, Lakefront, etc.), motorcycles (Harley Davidson), and power tools (Milwaukee, Briggs and Stratton), but unfortunately that's not the case.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:44 AM

279 posts, read 759,757 times
Quote:
This may be true within the US, but not worldwide. Outside of the US, nobody watches, cares about, or knows much about American football. Yes, I know, the superbowl is televised all over, but that still doesn't mean people follow the NFL and know about the Packers. Saying that they are one of the most well known sports teams in the world is ridiculous.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM

593 posts, read 1,761,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Due to the abitrary city limits in US, this can have some cities, such as Jacksonville (Miami), Columbus (Cleveland), Memphis (Nashville), Kansas City(St. Louis). However, if you ask states in which the most famous metro area is less populated than the most populated, I doubt there is any.
Ive read this sentence several times now, and I still have no idea what you are saying!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Ive read this sentence several times now, and I still have no idea what you are saying!
He is just saying that while there are many examples of more populated cities being less famous than less-populated ones, there are probably no example of more populated metro areas being less famous than less populated ones.

For example, Jacksonville the city is far more populated than Miami the city. So this is an example of a city with more population having less name recognition.

But there are probably no examples where the metro is both more populated and less famous. That would be like the Jacksonville metro having more than the Miami metro - such a situation just doesn't exist.

The reason for this is the disparate size of cities in America.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:15 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
New Jersey,

Atlantic City is more acknowledged than Newark it seems.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:05 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
He is just saying that while there are many examples of more populated cities being less famous than less-populated ones, there are probably no example of more populated metro areas being less famous than less populated ones.

For example, Jacksonville the city is far more populated than Miami the city. So this is an example of a city with more population having less name recognition.

But there are probably no examples where the metro is both more populated and less famous. That would be like the Jacksonville metro having more than the Miami metro - such a situation just doesn't exist.

The reason for this is the disparate size of cities in America.

But still, there's Richmond.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
One Milwaukee game in China is ALL it takes to get the name of Milwaukee out to China.

I live in the Midwest, I think I would know. The Packers are great, but they're not the best team, do you honestly expect people outside of the USA to give a damn about NFL? Because if you do, then I'm sorry, I can't take you seriously.

Why don't you post a link or any source stating as to why the Packers have more international recognition then the Bucks, and by that give me a link if any source you can find that states 200 million people are even willing to view the Packers. And I'll give up.

It was one game to get them interested pal, it only takes one game to gain interest. I'm sure they watched more Milwaukee games afterwards just to keep tabs on the player. Like I said, it takes one game to get your name out. It took Michael Phelps one Olympics to get his name out, it took the New Orleans Saints one Superbowl win to get people to start going like "huh, they have a good team?" Lindsay Lohan became a bigger actress after parent Trap, all it took was one movie. So many actors and actresses can vouch for that it only takes one thing to do it, to spark interest.

Please show me any source or link that states Green Bay is better known than Milwaukee. Any recent source and I will agree.

Until then, no. You haven't done anything but state your personal opinion.
I'm not trying to sound harsh, but you can't just go like "this is why it's more popular" and expect people to believe you without any credible source.

Winning the first two superbowls in history and trading away Brett Favre does not mean people in China or Guatemala care to view whats going on.

Decades of fame for the Green Bay Packers? What are you talking about, if you ask people the three teams they hear most about, I'm sure they wouldn't list the packers anymore.

No I never tried to say Bucks are more well known than the Packers, but I was trying to say more people internationally have followed them as opposed to the Packers. Which is true. Regionally Packers are better known, internationally even because of one player the Bucks have been better known.

Another thing, that one game means the name Milwaukee is out and about in China. People aren't going to forget the name just like that. Hey Zi have you ever heard about Milwaukee? "Yeah I watched a game they had against Houston once".
The reason Yao Ming is a national hero there and has a statue in Beijing led on from one game to many more. You really think Chinese people didn't know Yi was in Milwaukee? Then why was it such an anticipated game before it happened to China? They obviously had been watching his games before that...
You want to prove to me that more people know of Green Bay over Milwaukee, then site your source, and don't give me any BS about how once you went to London and heard people talking about the Packers. I like to work with evidence.

I'm sorry for sounding rude, lol. It's just my debate personality.

Just saying man.

Last edited by DANNYY; 05-28-2010 at 07:28 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Yi actually plays for the Nets now, but that's so weird you know about this. Back in 2008, a friend of mine got to go to Shenzhen with his dad who was part of a Milwaukee delegation sent to China to promote the Bucks.
To be honest man, I'm a Milwaukee Bucks fan. I have been watching them play since I was a child! I even remember back in 2007 when that game happened, I was actually with some of my Chinese friends in Houston, and we all were watching! I remember the day before seeing the article when going to check my email on Yahoo News! So I saved the article because I found it fascinating how so many Chinese people can watch an NBA game here. And I just decided to use it now, it came in handy.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I agree with this. I think it's a shame that more people know about Green Bay and Madison than Milwaukee, but that's the power of sports I guess. Badgers are a Big Ten team and the Packers are neck and neck with the Cowboys as far as well known football teams go. Milwaukee should be known for beer (Miller, Leinenkugel's, Lakefront, etc.), motorcycles (Harley Davidson), and power tools (Milwaukee, Briggs and Stratton), but unfortunately that's not the case.
HuH? For a good part of my life I always thought Green Bay was just a suburb of Milwaukee. It wasn't until well into my adulthood I looked it up and saw that Green Bay was actually in another part of Wisconsin away from Mill town.

I would say most people in the South know about the Green Bay Packers but know nothing at all about Green Bay. Some do know a little about Milwaukee however. I mean how many cities have a famous beer named after them? Mmmm Beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City