Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times

Advertisements

Tampa and Orlando are my favorites in terms of layout, amenities and ease-of-use. However, Orlando is more of a PITA to get to compared to TIA and has longer lines (due to the larger traffic, duh). AND you have to take a toll road to get to OIA. I don't have a problem with Toll Roads in general, buts as if TPTB ********* over before you leave or arrive because the 528 is the main route from the tourist areas to the airport. I learned the back roads to get there, and no, I'm not telling

National in Washington is great since the new terminal was completed about 12 years ago. With direct access to the Metro, you're only minutes from DT Washington

The United terminal at O'Hare is pretty good, better than the AA terminal.

I remember when Pittsburgh was a major hub for USAirways. I thought it was a great layout and I liked the AirMall idea. It was one of the first major airports to really pay attention to retail and eateries.

While I like my current hometown airport of Hartsfield, the lines can be pretty taxing at times, but considering the number of flights they have, the layout is very efficient and it's easy to get around. You have to be a moron to get lost there. Well, considering the amount of people that get confused getting around there... But seriously, ever since the 5th runway opened and improvements have been made to the taxiways, the taxi times aren't as bad as they used to be. They have really done a great job at improving the terminal. If only they could have moving sidewalks in the concourses to cut down on the walking times...

Last edited by grindin; 06-16-2010 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
I haven't been to many airports but I've literally walked into La Guardia by foot. Can't beat that.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:55 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,013 times
After visiting only Atlanta, Austin, Charlotte and Denver airports, I would rank them: 1) Denver, 2) Atlanta, 3) Austin, 4) Charlotte.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Tampa and Orlando are my favorites in terms of layout, amenities and ease-of-use. However, Orlando is more of a PITA to get to compared to TIA and has longer lines (due to the larger traffic, duh). AND you have to take a toll road to get to OIA. I don't have a problem with Toll Roads in general, buts as if TPTB ********* over before you leave or arrive because the 528 is the main route from the tourist areas to the airport.
Actually for most people who live in Orlando we take SR 436 aka Semoran Blvd. It's fast, free, and not too bad with traffic. So you are wrong that you have to take a toll road to get to OIA. Some airports have tolls just to get onto property and drop someone off, ie: DFW, now that's BS!!

Just weighing in on this thread, I really like Orlando International Airport. It's a large airport that's easy to navigate with simple options: Terminal A or B, then follow the signs to the tram which takes you to your sub-terminal which has a large grouping of gates centered around nice retail, & good food. That way you can deal with security first, make sure you have time to reach your gate, and still have lots of food options as soon as you get off the tram. Nothing is worse than trying to find food at one of those "hallway" terminals where you walk down an unending stretch of gates, Hudson News bookstores, and fast-foodie options.

OIA's main terminal building is gorgeous and has a beautiful Hyatt Regency in the airport for business travelers and those with large families that need a one night hotel stay before a hectic day of flying home with the kids. The main terminal also has a huge retail and food court area and even some decent sit down restaurants.

Orlando is not a main hub for any airline so our airport is not overly crowded with people just passing through on layovers and transfer flights like ATL, or DFW. Most people using OIA live in Orlando or it's their final destination. We have one of the highest numbers of domestic destinations serviced in the US with only 4 cities beating us and I can get on a plane in Orlando and fly non-stop to a fairly large number of international places too.

Since our metro is only a mid sized one, having an airport that beats many large sized metros is a huge plus. Simply put, our airport is more of a large metro airport which furthers my love of the Orlando area: "Big city deal without all of the big city feel".

Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Actually for most people who live in Orlando we take SR 436 aka Semoran Blvd. It's fast, free, and not too bad with traffic. So you are wrong that you have to take a toll road to get to OIA.
Um, yeah, in my post I acknowledged that it's mainly the people from the tourist areas that have to take the toll roads. I knew all about Semoran Blvd, and would use that route if I was coming from the other side of Orlando. So please read my posts thoroughly before you call yourself trying to call me out on being "wrong".

Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Tampa and Orlando are my favorites in terms of layout, amenities and ease-of-use. However, Orlando is more of a PITA to get to compared to TIA and has longer lines (due to the larger traffic, duh). AND you have to take a toll road to get to OIA. I don't have a problem with Toll Roads in general, buts as if TPTB ********* over before you leave or arrive because the 528 is the main route from the tourist areas to the airport. I learned the back roads to get there, and no, I'm not telling
I apologize then, but that's what you said. Yes, you included a part about back roads but since you prefaced with "you have to take a toll road to OIA, I'm sure somebody would assume that there is a toll regardless of taking the main route or not. Reread your own posts if you're going to get angry at me for "calling you out", it's not that big of a deal. I more or less just wanted people to know that we don't charge a toll like DFW to get on and off of the airport property, which is what your post makes it sound like to me.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:12 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,862 times
Quote:
I apologize then, but that's what you said. Yes, you included a part about back roads but since you prefaced with "you have to take a toll road to OIA, I'm sure somebody would assume that there is a toll regardless of taking the main route or not. Reread your own posts if you're going to get angry at me for "calling you out", it's not that big of a deal. I more or less just wanted people to know that we don't charge a toll like DFW to get on and off of the airport property, which is what your post makes it sound like to me.
They really charge? Thats crazy

Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Sorry, a bit of an honest mistake on my part I lived in Tampa, so those were usually the ways I took to get from the airport, so I was thinking in that context.I was thinking about how there are two tolls on the Bee Line before you hit the airport entrance or if you're coming up on the GreeneWay, it's still some tolls. But yes, Semoran Blvd is the main way to get into the airport if you're coming from that part of Orlando, so I can see how locals can avoid it.

And yes, I don't like how you have to go through the booths through DFW either. Basically, they ding you for passing through the airport for less than 8 minutes and charge you $2 for the privilege. It's $1 for 9-30 minutes.

Last edited by grindin; 06-16-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
They really charge? Thats crazy
Yes sir. I was dropping my gf off for her flight back to MCO and just to drive through the airport and drop her at curb there was a toll. Not a $.25 or $.50 one but rather a few dollars on and few dollars off if I recall properly. I tried to find you a link to their website with the fee but that's not even an option under ground transportation. Personally I think it's crazy but I asked a co-worker who was from Dallas and she said some people even use the road as part of their commute to and from work and just pass through.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
A bit of an honest mistake on my part I lived in Tampa, so those were usually the ways I took to get from the airport, so I was thinking in that context.I was thinking about how there are two tolls on the Bee Line before you hit the airport entrance or if you're coming up on the GreeneWay, it's still some tolls. But yes, Semoran Blvd is the main way to get into the airport if you're coming from that part of Orlando, so I can see how locals can avoid it.
Honestly no worries, I really didn't think I was calling you out and I hate that too so again I'm sorry. I noticed you are from Atlanta which is where I'd one day like to call my 2nd home.

Quote:
And yes, I don't like how you have to go through the booths through DFW either. If you speed through there in enough time, you can usually avoid being charged.
Yeah and I do feel sorry for tourists getting slammed with those tolls on the Beachline, guess that's why I didn't want people to think we would further nickel & dime people & locals with an airport drop off/pick up toll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City