Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:52 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

^^ I understand what you're saying but all that posted goes right back to if you can afford NY, then your buck can go alot farther. If you can't, which is elsewhere in the nation, your buck would be far better. I'm not downplaying NY's opportunities or anything. It isn't overrated either as most people do not make 85k a year.

In all honesty, I think the best answer is Chicago. Not cheap but not nearly as expensive as the coasts and 85k a year in Chicago or even Houston would go much further there than it would in New York though 85k in New York would bring no complaints either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
one last thing before i finish red dead redemption (lol), but the only ppl really talking about the cost of living in the north not being worth it when i was in the south were a bunch of ppl that didn't make any money that was being held down by a bunch of ppl at the top of the company's that they worked at making a lot of money.

like you can't tell me the cost of living is so high and you don't understand how we put up with it and "money isn't everything" if you're pushing a lemon, putting money in it to get from point a to point b every other week, can barely make ends meet with your measly paycheck that you get from a job full of part time, temporary employees, with high a turnover rate, that treat their employees like crap because they can get away with it given this weak economy while your boss is pushing a ferrari f599 to a meeting with "the board" that will discuss who they're going to lay off during the next fiscal year so that they can maintain their lifestyles at the expense of their employees.

you cannot tell me you're happy. you cannot tell me that a union would not improve your conditions, even slightly.

(sorry, just a flashback from the past, lol, not meant to anybody in particular in this thread)

Old 05-31-2010, 01:08 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^^ I understand what you're saying but all that posted goes right back to if you can afford NY, then your buck can go alot farther. If you can't, which is elsewhere in the nation, your buck would be far better. I'm not downplaying NY's opportunities or anything. It isn't overrated either as most people do not make 85k a year.

In all honesty, I think the best answer is Chicago. Not cheap but not nearly as expensive as the coasts and 85k a year in Chicago or even Houston would go much further there than it would in New York though 85k in New York would bring no complaints either.
IMHO you can't think of it like i make 85k right now, i'm satisfied.

you need to always think about the next best thing, and that's where IMO nyc comes into play as the best of the best.

you can always keep networking and keep moving up the ladder. it doesn't end here, IMO.

85k might get you more bang for your buck elsewhere but where else are you going to find the abundance of high paying jobs??

i'm not saying that chicago or houston aren't good or answers to the question the OP asked.

i'm just saying that nyc should not be crossed off of the list at all.

you don't necessarily need a degree to make the kind of money you would think you need to afford to live here.

also, nyc should have a lot of broke ppl if you believe the stereotype and that just isn't true. you have a lot of grinders here. a lot of go getters...a lot of ppl that don't take no for an answer.

if you want it bad enough then you will get it.

off the top, atl, dc, nyc, boston, philly, etc. should be on this list.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:10 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Syracuse was 15th in terms of the latest Bang for Your Buck poll by Forbes. Omaha was 1st.

Rust Belt cities are actually pretty high on that list too.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:05 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMHO you can't think of it like i make 85k right now, i'm satisfied.

you need to always think about the next best thing, and that's where IMO nyc comes into play as the best of the best.

you can always keep networking and keep moving up the ladder. it doesn't end here, IMO.

85k might get you more bang for your buck elsewhere but where else are you going to find the abundance of high paying jobs??

i'm not saying that chicago or houston aren't good or answers to the question the OP asked.

i'm just saying that nyc should not be crossed off of the list at all.

you don't necessarily need a degree to make the kind of money you would think you need to afford to live here.

also, nyc should have a lot of broke ppl if you believe the stereotype and that just isn't true. you have a lot of grinders here. a lot of go getters...a lot of ppl that don't take no for an answer.

if you want it bad enough then you will get it.

off the top, atl, dc, nyc, boston, philly, etc. should be on this list.
I can get with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City