Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With the considerations listed below, which city would you choose?
Dallas 5 7.46%
Denver 21 31.34%
St. Louis 16 23.88%
Houston 21 31.34%
Birmingham, AL 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:16 PM

386 posts, read 1,694,604 times

Advertisements

If these were your choices, which one would you pick to live in?

Which would be better for a 20-something law student with the following caveats?

*Fairly conservative
*Great access to the outdoors/hiking
*Family friendly
*Good suburbs in which to live--a great urban environment matters much less than good schools, safe neighborhoods, etc.
*Weather doesn't matter much--snow and skiing is awesome but can be sacrificed for an even more awesome city.
*Great church-going/faith-minded population
* Affordability isn't a huge concern--but, naturally, one looks for the most bang for one's buck.
*Good shopping/upscale suburbs and shopping districts, yuppie area
*Good law job market (though....any big city is likely to have this in varying degrees)
* Kid-friendly
*Great sports town
*Lots of parks/green spaces
*Great cultural ammenities (museums, zoos, theatre, etc.)

The most important thing here is a faith/family-centered town with great hiking/parks. These are the cities with the law schools in consideration and, from the looks of things, rather robust law job markets. But.....church, family, parks, suburbs....you get the drift. What would be the best sort of town with that emphasis? Do either of the above cities match up well?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Oh....and please explain why you voted as you did. I like all of these cities--but that doesn't mean that I know what's it's like to live in them....

Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,785,484 times
I voted St. Louis. Ive been to all of thos cities and i think the best one overall was St. Louis. And i just think it meets your overall criteria. Not much, but theres my 2 cents

Old 03-09-2008, 04:20 PM

258 posts, read 1,506,337 times
My pick would be Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
If these were your choices, which one would you pick to live in?

Which would be better for a 20-something law student with the following caveats?

*Fairly conservative St. Louis and Birmingham
*Great access to the outdoors/hiking St Louis is terrible / Denver
*Family friendly All of them
*Good suburbs in which to live--a great urban environment matters much less than good schools, safe neighborhoods, etc. stl worst crime / Denver
*Weather doesn't matter much--snow and skiing is awesome but can be sacrificed for an even more awesome city. not important
*Great church-going/faith-minded population probably dallas
* Affordability isn't a huge concern--but, naturally, one looks for the most bang for one's buck. midwest dallas, st louis
*Good shopping/upscale suburbs and shopping districts, yuppie area dallas and denver
*Good law job market (though....any big city is likely to have this in varying degrees) all cities
* Kid-friendly denver
*Great sports town denver
*Lots of parks/green spaces definitely denver
*Great cultural ammenities (museums, zoos, theatre, etc.) all of these offer cultural amenities

The most important thing here is a faith/family-centered town with great hiking/parks. These are the cities with the law schools in consideration and, from the looks of things, rather robust law job markets. But.....church, family, parks, suburbs....you get the drift. What would be the best sort of town with that emphasis? Do either of the above cities match up well?

Thanks for your input!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I voted St. Louis. Ive been to all of thos cities and i think the best one overall was St. Louis. And i just think it meets your overall criteria. Not much, but theres my 2 cents
Thanks Billiam!

Would DC fit my criteria?

I've been there and I can attest that it probably does not. But it is an amazing area for young lawyers....

Old 03-09-2008, 05:11 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,416,526 times
St. Louis fits every single category except maybe for the weather and definitely in terms of being fairly conservative. In St. Charles County or maybe Jefferson County, you will find conservative thinking there, but the Metro East, St. Louis City, and St. Louis County all lean to the left. Weather here is pretty crazy. St. Louis has cold, snowy winters and hot, humid summers, but the advantage is that its winters are not the worst in the country nor are its summers. the only times I've ever found summers intolerable here are in the last few weeks of August, when it climbs into the 90s and stays there. I love Dallas, Atlanta, and Birmingham, but the summers there are too hot and the winters far too mild for me. In my opinion, other Midwestern cities besides St. Louis you might want to look at is possibly Cincinnati or maybe Kansas City. Both are very similar to St. Louis in terms of weather, but politically are more conservative.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
St. Louis fits every single category except maybe for the weather and definitely in terms of being fairly conservative. In St. Charles County or maybe Jefferson County, you will find conservative thinking there, but the Metro East, St. Louis City, and St. Louis County all lean to the left. Weather here is pretty crazy. St. Louis has cold, snowy winters and hot, humid summers, but the advantage is that its winters are not the worst in the country nor are its summers. the only times I've ever found summers intolerable here are in the last few weeks of August, when it climbs into the 90s and stays there. I love Dallas, Atlanta, and Birmingham, but the summers there are too hot and the winters far too mild for me. In my opinion, other Midwestern cities besides St. Louis you might want to look at is possibly Cincinnati or maybe Kansas City. Both are very similar to St. Louis in terms of weather, but politically are more conservative.
I think St. Louis is considerably more conservative than you give it credit for being. Outside of St. Louis City--which isn't exactly your traditional wine-sipping liberal vote, it's mostly the minority Democratic vote--the area is fairly conservative. On the other hand...you're right. KC and Cincy are more conservative but that might just be because they are smaller metro areas......

Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,296,977 times
All I iz going to say is: I iz Biased...

edit: oops...I thought you were doing a poll for the heck of it...uhh... I would go with... Dallas ...or Houston...or Denver...a 3 way tie...

*Fairly conservative
yeah sure...the suburbs, city proper Dallas i pretty Liberal (same with Houston, and St.Louis. I think all of Denver is actually pretty liberal though). Birmingham would be the best here...followed by an Equal Dallas, Houston, and St. Louis
Denver beats everyone here...maybe...St.Louis Next...
*Family friendly
yeah Sure...all of them I guess.
*Good suburbs in which to live--a great urban environment matters much less than good schools, safe neighborhoods, etc.
yeah sure...St.Louis is supposedly Dangerous, but the Suburbs should be fine.
*Weather doesn't matter much--snow and skiing is awesome but can be sacrificed for an even more awesome city.
Denver...
Birmingham first, followed closely by a tie between Dallas and Houston.
* Affordability isn't a huge concern--but, naturally, one looks for the most bang for one's buck.
DFW, Houston, Birmingham probably best
Dallas, I didn't know prior to joining this forum...but apparently we have some nice shopping areas ad a good Fashion industry...Houston does too though...
*Good law job market (though....any big city is likely to have this in varying degrees)
Yeah all i know is DFW and Houston are good.
* Kid-friendly
yeah...but thats anywhere.
*Great sports town
that Spells Dallas, Denver too...
err...in any city...nahh...if your willing to drive a bit...Denver...
Sure all of them...Birmingham probably is weakest here...
Houston has the NASA
Dallas has the State Fair
Denver has those nice Mountains...
all have zoos

Last edited by CMDallas; 03-09-2008 at 06:49 PM..

Old 03-09-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
All I iz going to say is: I iz Biased...

edit: oops...I thought you were doing a poll for the heck of it...uhh... I would go with... Dallas ...or Houston...or Denver...a 3 way tie...

*Fairly conservative
yeah sure...the suburbs, city proper Dallas i pretty Liberal (same with Houston, and St.Louis. I think all of Denver is actually pretty liberal though). Birmingham would be the best here...followed by an Equal Dallas, Houston, and St. Louis
Denver beats everyone here...maybe...St.Louis Next...
*Family friendly
yeah Sure...all of them I guess.
yeah sure...St.Louis is supposedly Dangerous, but the Suburbs should be fine.
Denver...
Birmingham first, followed closely by a tie between Dallas and Houston.
DFW, Houston, Birmingham probably best
Dallas, I didn't know prior to joining this forum...but apparently we have some nice shopping areas ad a good Fashion industry...Houston does too though...
Yeah all i know is DFW and Houston are good.
* Kid-friendly
yeah...but thats anywhere.
*Great sports town
that Spells Dallas, Denver too...
err...in any city...nahh...if your willing to drive a bit...Denver...
Sure all of them...Birmingham probably is weakest here...
Houston has the NASA
Dallas has the State Fair
Denver has those nice Mountains...
all have zoos
Wow....good summary. Thanks a lot!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:06 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,358,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Would DC fit my criteria?

I've been there and I can attest that it probably does not. But it is an amazing area for young lawyers....
I agree that DC is a fantastic place to work as a young lawyer. I think that it is also possible to work for a few years in DC at a law firm, the federal government, Congress, or a public interest/non profit organization and develop the experience that would permit you to move to your "dream" city down the road. I also think that as a law school graduate, your career should be an important consideration, particularly as you have not yet "specialized" in any area of law. DC might not meet all of your criteria, but you will meet many educated young people from all walks of life. It is a fascinating place to live and work as a young attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City