Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With the considerations listed below, which city would you choose?
Dallas 5 7.46%
Denver 21 31.34%
St. Louis 16 23.88%
Houston 21 31.34%
Birmingham, AL 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:22 PM

13,383 posts, read 40,177,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
In fact, there are no law schools in Charlotte--though there are many in the Raleigh-Durham area. What is Nashville like? I know next to nothing about the south....
Nashville has an excellent law school at Vanderbilt University. Al Gore flunked out of it, by the way.

I agree that Charlotte is a lot less Southern than it used to be and is pretty bland. I personally have never been a fan of Charlotte, but a lot of people seem to like it since it's growing rapidly.

Nashville is very religious, it's home to the publishing arms of the United Methodists, Southern Baptists, and the Church of Christ. Most of the universities in Nashville--and there are more than a dozen of them--are affiliated with a religion.

By the way, all those universities also means there's a ton of sporting events going on throughout the city, not to mention the NFL, NHL, and AAA baseball. There are two Division I universities in metro Nashville: Vanderbilt and MTSU.

Public schools in Nashville can be hit or miss. Generally, the public schools near the universities are very good and have very strong neighborhood support.

The weather in Nashville is a bit more moderate than in the other cities you listed. It doesn't get as hot and muggy as Houston or Dallas, and it doesn't get as cold as Saint Louis or Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,944,238 times
Denver is pretty socially liberal...

Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 PM

386 posts, read 1,696,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Denver is pretty socially liberal...
Maybe the urban core. And even then....it's nothing compared to Seattle or San Francisco. I've always thought, however, that the metro area as a whole--and especially the suburbs, where I would be living--are fairly conservative. I don't know how it would compare to Birmingham or Dallas...but Denver's a pretty conservative town as far as I know.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,944,238 times
Economically conservative, but from what I've observed, pretty socially liberal. "Crunchy" is a word used a lot. Plenty of the hippie type.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:57 PM

386 posts, read 1,696,274 times
Wouldn't that be Boulder...not Denver?

Old 03-10-2008, 02:08 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,436,146 times
Quote:
Well...I wouldn't consider Clayton a suburb....but that's a really good round-up. Thanks STL!!
Clayton is a suburb, believe me. It's the seat of St. Louis County, but by all common sense is a suburb of St. Louis because a mere 16,000 people actually live in the city of Clayton. St. Louis City and St. Louis County while not considered the same by the city boundaries are by all means one and the same.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:09 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,436,146 times
these cities are not that easy to compare number one. Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are part of the South...Denver is the West....St. Louis is the Midwest. you are going to have key differences in between the cities just because of the regions they are in.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,342,648 times
Quote:
Yeah...so....I know next to nothing about Birmingham. What's its story? What's it like and how would it fit my criteria?
Well, Birmingham has a top-notch law school, Cumberland, which is part of Samford University. It's located in Birmingham's southern suburbs, which is about as close to heaven as you're going to find for beauty, ease of living, and amenities. Plus there are dozens of prestigious law firms in the market for internships and the like.

There's a pretty active arts scene in Birmingham. In fact, the Places Rated Almanac ranked it among their top ten for smaller market arts. Lots of concerts, performances, musicians, artists, festivals, etc. etc. etc. You'll find something to do every weekend if you so desire. At the same time, plenty of locally owned, quality restaurants, nightclubs, etc. etc.

As far as professional sports is concerned, you'll have trouble here. No pro basketball, football, or hockey. Our only pro sports is a AA baseball team affiliated with the White Sox. If you want to watch pros, you'll have to drive two hours to Atlanta.

Birmingham's a pretty conservative community, but not radically so. However, it is a religious community. Chances are, your denomination will be represented somewhere with a strong congregation.

Overall, especially if you live between downtown and the I-459 corridor, there are plenty of nice neighborhoods and shopping.

The city doesn't have tall mountains, but lots of hills, making it a pretty scenic place. Plus trees as far as the eye can see. Birmingham never subscribed to the theory that one should mow down all the trees to make a subdivision, and it shows.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:06 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,716,770 times
Quote:
I spend a lot of time each year in Houston. But I don't know about the suburbs. Would any areas inside the loop fit my considerations?
Nope. Stick to the 'burbs.

But really... shouldn't you go to the best law school you've been accepted to, wherever that may be?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:27 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,711,526 times
Quote:
Maybe the urban core. And even then....it's nothing compared to Seattle or San Francisco. I've always thought, however, that the metro area as a whole--and especially the suburbs, where I would be living--are fairly conservative. I don't know how it would compare to Birmingham or Dallas...but Denver's a pretty conservative town as far as I know.
Denver as a metro area is actually pretty liberal, as radraja states. Boulder is certainly at the top of that chain, but Denver is more liberal than it gets credit for - perhaps not on the scale as Seattle or San Francisco, but moreso than many midwestern and southern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City