Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Austin 82 52.23%
Sacramento 75 47.77%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:03 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,924,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
yeah, I'm from San Diego and SD is cooler than most of cities across the nation, and in my opinion way way cooler than Austin.

Humble Sacramento being compared with San Diego, Minneapolis, and Austin, and we don't even try to be a big brash, "Look at me kind of City."

I know exactly where you are coming from, I used to be a Southern Californian, the ignorance (and hate) for Sacramento when you realize how untrue and over exaggerated all those stupid stereotypes were is hard to swallow.
San Jose trounces Sac. It's not a insignificant city made out to be. San Diego is another league over Sac. Sac is where Richmond, Va, Albuquerque and Birmingham, Ala are at. Austin takes the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
murksiderock, Sacramento will always have haters like you know who as long as we live in the same state as SF and LA, and they will never accept us for what we are, ignoring the good, and always unfairly comparing us to where ever they came from in SoCal or the Bay Area.
You're right...

Here's what gets me though, and I truly believe it's because I'm pretty well traveled because I see this within my own California family; Californians are a little aloof when it comes to knowledge of other places. A person born and raised in California, or who spent the majority of their lives in California, doesn't realize how colored your perspective can be, being raised with the infinite amenities that a California upbringing allows...

It's intellectually dishonest to troll Sacramento as some nowheresville. Some people really should see more of this country, coast to coast, including all the sizable places. Californians are so spoiled by certain climate patterns and amenities, some of these people would throw themselves through a window in most other locations...it is truly only Californians who rip Sacramento like this, because the cultural vortex revolves around The Bay, SD, and LA...

I have a high school classmate who moved to Merced summer '17, and has been to Sacramento 3 or 4 times in the last year, born and raised in VA; a friend of mine went to Sacramento for the first time in September and loved it, he's from Harlem, NY and lives in Jacksonville, FL; another high school classmate just relocated to Tehama County around Labor Day, has been to Sac twice and she's originally from Tennessee; I have a current coworker from Springfield, Mass who lived in Citrus Heights for a decade before coming back east four or five years ago....these are all recent examples of born and/or raised East Coasters, and I've met a considerable amount of people through the years who have been to Sacramento, from various places east of the Mississippi...

What they all have in common is the exact opposite of what you hear Californians on here spew. I have yet to meet a person who isn't a native Californian with vitriol for Sacramento. Some have told me it's their favorite California city, others prefer one of the bigger cities. These conversations have been easy to have through the years because I'm from Sacramento and when someone finds that out, it's a conversation starter...

It's just ridiculous to trash Sacramento as is custom around here. Personally, because I'm not the outdoors type, I don't find Sac to be missing much geographically, though I do wish it was hillier. I'm not a fan of the heat either, but there are a ton of places in the US that get hot and I'd hardly call Sacramento the most uncomfortable of them all...

Sacramento can stand on it's own merits without saying it's close to another place. This notion that it's a stopover until you touch The Bay is a lie and may be true if you only hang around other city-data types, but in the real world, it isn't reflective of what a non-Californian or non-Westerner perceives Sac to be. It's annoying...that's the biggest thing it has in common with the Midwest. Both are widely panned as flyover country but there is a ton of overlooked and underrated culture in both. Other than that, I don't know where this "like the Midwest" thing comes from. I've been to KC, Indy, Cleveland, Kansas, and some rural areas within those states (Edinburgh, IN; the Canton OH area); Sacramento doesn't remotely resemble those areas...

Of course Sac isn't the draw of other areas in California, but there is more than enough things about Sacramento itself that appeal. Its only on here with this "boring Sacramento" rhetoric, and 99% of those people are native Californians...

Old 10-28-2018, 12:53 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Lesson of this thread:

It takes a lot more to get hyped as a destination city in California than it does in Texas.

Sac-NBA, legit mass transit with full light rail, wholly an urban city with great weather-barely noticed or talked about.

Austin-THERE'S....LIVE MUSIC...AND GREAT HAPPY HOURS DOWNTOWN.....ITS THE NEXT NYC!!!!

Old 10-28-2018, 01:06 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Lesson of this thread:

It takes a lot more to get hyped as a destination city in California than it does in Texas.

Sac-NBA, legit mass transit with full light rail, wholly an urban city with great weather-barely noticed or talked about.

Austin-THERE'S....LIVE MUSIC...AND GREAT HAPPY HOURS DOWNTOWN.....ITS THE NEXT NYC!!!!
Nope. It takes a lot more to get hyped as a destination city in Texas than it does in California.

California has a far better reputation than Texas, you should know that.

Last edited by MrJester; 10-28-2018 at 01:18 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You're right...

Here's what gets me though, and I truly believe it's because I'm pretty well traveled because I see this within my own California family; Californians are a little aloof when it comes to knowledge of other places. A person born and raised in California, or who spent the majority of their lives in California, doesn't realize how colored your perspective can be, being raised with the infinite amenities that a California upbringing allows...

It's intellectually dishonest to troll Sacramento as some nowheresville. Some people really should see more of this country, coast to coast, including all the sizable places. Californians are so spoiled by certain climate patterns and amenities, some of these people would throw themselves through a window in most other locations...it is truly only Californians who rip Sacramento like this, because the cultural vortex revolves around The Bay, SD, and LA...

I have a high school classmate who moved to Merced summer '17, and has been to Sacramento 3 or 4 times in the last year, born and raised in VA; a friend of mine went to Sacramento for the first time in September and loved it, he's from Harlem, NY and lives in Jacksonville, FL; another high school classmate just relocated to Tehama County around Labor Day, has been to Sac twice and she's originally from Tennessee; I have a current coworker from Springfield, Mass who lived in Citrus Heights for a decade before coming back east four or five years ago....these are all recent examples of born and/or raised East Coasters, and I've met a considerable amount of people through the years who have been to Sacramento, from various places east of the Mississippi...

What they all have in common is the exact opposite of what you hear Californians on here spew. I have yet to meet a person who isn't a native Californian with vitriol for Sacramento. Some have told me it's their favorite California city, others prefer one of the bigger cities. These conversations have been easy to have through the years because I'm from Sacramento and when someone finds that out, it's a conversation starter...

It's just ridiculous to trash Sacramento as is custom around here. Personally, because I'm not the outdoors type, I don't find Sac to be missing much geographically, though I do wish it was hillier. I'm not a fan of the heat either, but there are a ton of places in the US that get hot and I'd hardly call Sacramento the most uncomfortable of them all...

Sacramento can stand on it's own merits without saying it's close to another place. This notion that it's a stopover until you touch The Bay is a lie and may be true if you only hang around other city-data types, but in the real world, it isn't reflective of what a non-Californian or non-Westerner perceives Sac to be. It's annoying...that's the biggest thing it has in common with the Midwest. Both are widely panned as flyover country but there is a ton of overlooked and underrated culture in both. Other than that, I don't know where this "like the Midwest" thing comes from. I've been to KC, Indy, Cleveland, Kansas, and some rural areas within those states (Edinburgh, IN; the Canton OH area); Sacramento doesn't remotely resemble those areas...

Of course Sac isn't the draw of other areas in California, but there is more than enough things about Sacramento itself that appeal. Its only on here with this "boring Sacramento" rhetoric, and 99% of those people are native Californians...
I never said Sac was like the Midwest.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:44 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Lesson of this thread:

Don't get me wrong I know what there is to like about Austin and I do like the town. But, really, Austin has been said to be the next San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, nah its not. I know what they mean but really, Austin will never have 70 miles of San Diego Coast line, or the sophistication and urban build-up environment like San Francisco(few cities can match that) or the Puget Sound, hills and Cascades of Seattle....or even the beauty of Portland Oregon.

Sacramento actually has more of all this well within striking distance and the metro itself and the City Core is being transformed. I agree with you....Ya know what, Sacramento has LIVE MUSIC and GREAT HAPPY HOURS DOWNTOWN too I guess we are the next NYC too, lol.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Austin

Old 10-30-2018, 07:55 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Austin

Old 10-30-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You're right...

I agree with you, that Californians need to travel out of the state to the East and Midwest and South more, but not because then they'll appreciate California more, but because then Californians will finally get over their snobbery that the rest of the nation is flyover country.

Liberal, secular folk tend to gravitate to California more. Religious Conservatism and heat and humidity are the two main factors why people choose California over the South or vice versa.

I never thought Sacramento of being nowheresville. It is indeed a major metro area of 2+ million people only 90 minutes to 2 hours away from an even larger metro area. But you wouldn't believe how Californians look down on Texas; one person even called Dallas a "cowtown." If Sacramento isn't a cowtown, neither is Dallas.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:24 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
You're one of the Californians I'm talking about. You've made some completely ludicrous statements regarding Sacramento. I don't have time or desire to look them all up, but your hyperbole regarding Sacramento has been off-kilter most times...

Better is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know enough to say either city is better, but clearly Austin and Sacramento are comparable cities and most people seem to find them at a 50/50 split, albeit Austin having the wider reputation and stronger branding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City