Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 03:19 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The point of the article is to state that these "so-called" progressive cities should not be calling themselves "progressive." They can continue to be covert-elitist, largely white enclaves--that is their prerogative. However, they should just realize the reality of their non-progressive situation--and give credit to other cities (truly progressive ones) that face racial/ethnic struggles with much more success (or even deal with them in the first place).
According to official 2000 Census numbers, the city of Raleigh was 60.3% white while Denver was 51.9%. Denver's minority population was at 266,779 while Raleigh's was only 109,899. Austin's white population was 53% and the city had a minority population 308,769. Seattle had a white population of 67.8% and a minority population of 181,205. Portland had a white population of 75.4%, which dropped from 83.1% (1990 Census). Portland also had a minority population of 129,971, which was up 56,049 from the 1990 Census. This gain was more than Raleigh's 44,742 that it gained from 1990 to 2000. Finally, the core cities of MPLS. - STPL. was 63.3% white and had a minority population of 245,641.

Last edited by BlackOut; 06-02-2010 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 PM

93,264 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
According to official 2000 Census numbers, the city of Raleigh was 60.3% white while Denver was 51.9%. Denver's minority population was at 266,779 while Raleigh's was only 109,899. Austin's white population was 53% and the city had a minority population 308,769. Seattle had a white population of 67.8% and a minority population of 181,205. Portland had a white population of 75.4%, which dropped from 83.1% (1990 Census). Portland also had a minority population of 129,971, which was up 56,049 from the 1990 Census. This gain was more than Raleigh's 44,742 that it gained from 1990 to 2000. Finally, the core cities of MPLS. - STPL. was 63.3% white and had a minority population of 245,641.
You have to keep in mind that Western cities are going to have a huge and recent influx of Hispanics and in many cases, Asians. So, the dynamics in those cities are going to be different than the dynamics in terms of demographics for Raleigh due to it's location in the South.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's no surprise that you didn't address any of my arguments and instead accused me of having disdain for black people.

I call it like I see it.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
What the HELL are you talking about? Your post makes it seem like asians are somehow less of a minority than blacks.

Our cities have done an excellent job of providing efficient public transportation systems, density, and good urban infrastructures where your cities have failed. Stop whining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I didnt get that from his post at all. I think the point he is trying to make is that because the most visable minority in Seattle are Asians, there are also a large number of them that live in poor neighborhoods. In Atlanta, African-Americans are the largest minority and they make up a large portion of the poor neighborhoods there. I think toughguy was trying to make that connection.

Seattle is home to a very large number of Khmer and Lao people. Traditionally, these people are very poor when they come to the US. They live in the same conditions that many of the African-Americans in the inner city Atlanta or DC live in.

On a local level, when I first moved to Dallas, my wife had a job in Old East Dallas at a pharmacy. What I didnt know was that the area of Old East Dallas she worked in is a Khmer ghetto (I hesitate to call it an enclave). My wife quit her job when she got approached by two different Asian men trying to offer her money for sex. The area is also full of Asian gangs (predominately Khmer). We didnt know that area was big for Asian (Khmer and Lao) prostitutes. That is no different from what goes on in the predominately black, Hispanic, or white impoverished areas of town. A ghetto is a ghetto regardless of race.

Back to the topic, I cannot look at cities like Minneapolis, Portland, and Austin with large liberal white and small African-American communities as racists. I dont think they are. African-Americans I know who live in those cities love them and are treated well. Just because an area isnt diverse or it has a small black community doesnt make it racist.

People, the historical cross this nation has to bear is with African-Americans--and mistreated Latinos/Hispanics.

And PDX_LAX you need to travel and get out more if you think your "so-called" progressive cities have cornered the market on public transport, density, and, urban infrastructure. And no one is whining at all...that's the point.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
And in a city like Portland, which I really disliked.. it's more about being similar "culture" wise, which is anti-Mainstream... so anti-mainstream their beliefs almost become mainstream. Kind of hypocritical in my mind. Seattle is similar as well. Does anyone else agree with me on that?

Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
And in a city like Portland, which I really disliked.. it's more about being similar "culture" wise, which is anti-Mainstream... so anti-mainstream their beliefs almost become mainstream. Kind of hypocritical in my mind. Seattle is similar as well. Does anyone else agree with me on that?
I totally agree and see what you mean.

The "alternative culture" is really just mainstream culture.

Stuff White People Like

Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Being Normal nowadays IS considered being alternative. If I don't go out wearing skinny jeans, a fedora, a scarf and Elvis Costello glasses, than I'm the MOST alternative, non-conformist person out there. "Being Different" has become SOOO cliche. Everyone is SO fixated on being different and flamboyant that everyone ends up looking the same. Nothing is "weird" nowadays.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Let's not get off subject. In the OP, the author of the article that is being discussed clearly made a correlation between certain types of cities and their under-representation of African Americans. This is not a discussion about Asians, non-white hispanics (since hispanic is not a race per the Census), etc. This is about the assertion that model cities are under represented in black population. My addition of Raleigh into this discussion (thought I am sure there are others out there too) is intended to provide a balance to the author's assertion.

That all said, I will be interested in seeing the latest Census results for Raleigh and the Triangle CSA. Both the Asian population and Hispanic population have been growing very rapidly in the metro over the last ten years. In Morrisville, for instance, this small suburb of Raleigh near RTP was over 76% white in 2000. Now, it's tripled in size and has a Hindu Temple! In one elementary school in Morrisville, over 40% of the children are of Indian origin.

A more compelling study might be to understand the shift in demographics as communities become more diverse beyond the traditional black/white divide in America.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
I totally agree and see what you mean.

The "alternative culture" is really just mainstream culture.

Stuff White People Like
I've been on there a couple times, it seems like it makes fun of White-American Gen Y culture. They have another website similar to it, that features pics of hipsters, the site is called Look At The F%&*!in Hipster. Just to let people know, none of these websites were made by black people, but they were made by whites poking fun of there own. Here is the the Site: http://www.latfh.com/

Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
People, the historical cross this nation has to bear is with African-Americans--and mistreated Latinos/Hispanics.

And PDX_LAX you need to travel and get out more if you think your "so-called" progressive cities have cornered the market on public transport, density, and, urban infrastructure. And no one is whining at all...that's the point.
Just because a city has a small or tiny black community doesnt make it racist. The cities listed are progressive ones. The lack of a significant black community takes nothing away from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City