Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where I can find Big Beautiful Women in Portland?

See, it's just not in the culture there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
I feel like I've taken a wrong turn and stepped into the Twilight Zone. Since when did boasting about your city's large UNDERCLASS minority population = progressive??? Wouldn't it be progressive if it had a sizeable middle-class minority population instead? This "our blacks" vs. "our Asians" argument is absurd.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:53 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Just because a city has a small or tiny black community doesnt make it racist. The cities listed are progressive ones. The lack of a significant black community takes nothing away from that.
I fail to see where anyone said any such thing. No one is claiming these cities are inherently racist. That makes no sense in 2010.

What is being said is simply that perhaps these cities aren't as 'progressive' as they think, if the word suggests moving forward and being open-minded and accepting, along with the other socially liberal ideals of the left, and perhaps they need to take a page out of cities like Dallas and Houston's books to see what they are doing right in attracting and sustaining successful minority communities, no matter the race. I mean, progressives are supposed to be concerned with all people, right, not just the few? That's kind of the point, isn't it? Pretty much what separates the left from the right?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
I fail to see where anyone said any such thing. No one is claiming these cities are inherently racist. That makes no sense in 2010.

What is being said is simply that perhaps these cities aren't as 'progressive' as they think, if the word suggests moving forward and being open-minded and accepting, along with the other socially liberal ideals of the left, and perhaps they need to take a page out of cities like Dallas and Houston's books to see what they are doing right in attracting and sustaining successful minority communities, no matter the race. I mean, progressives are supposed to be concerned with all people, right, not just the few? That's kind of the point, isn't it? Pretty much what separates the left from the right?
and Atlanta's....

(Good post.)

Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Don't you think it's somewhat up to black individuals or the community as well? The Minneapolis area is home to 30 Fortune 1,000 companies and several large, private companies, including the country's largest - Cargill. It's a fact that these companies are looking to diversify their workforce. If black professionals aren't willing to move to Minneapolis, which IMO is a far better place to live than many major cities, then what can be done?

As far as taking a page out of cities like Dallas and Atlanta, the core cities of MPLS. - STPL. are doing just fine; perhaps better.

Growth in numbers from 1990 to 2000:
MPLS. - STPL.
Black: 31,294
Asian: 24,662
Other: 18,790
Hispanic: 34,154
Foreign born: 54,096

Dallas
Black: 9,104
Asian: 11,150
Other: 81,298
Hispanic: 218,466
Foreign born: 164,574

Atlanta
Black: -9,299
Asian: 4,885
Other: 4,890
Hispanic: 10,942
Foreign born: 13,998

Last edited by BlackOut; 06-04-2010 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 10:54 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Great points, BlackOut. Minneapolis and St. Paul (don't forget St. Paul!) are more of a "black destination" than most people would think. Also very interesting seeing Atlanta decline in black population. Where did you get these numbers from?

Cargill is actually in Minnetonka, but it's still close enough to Mpls to commute in.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Great points, BlackOut. Minneapolis and St. Paul (don't forget St. Paul!) are more of a "black destination" than most people would think. Also very interesting seeing Atlanta decline in black population. Where did you get these numbers from?

Cargill is actually in Minnetonka, but it's still close enough to Mpls to commute in.
All the 2000 census information can be found at census.gov

I meant to say the Minneapolis area (I changed it). All the companies based out in the burbs are there because of either MPLS. or STPL. or both. Minnetonka wouldn't even exist as it does today if it weren't for MPLS. - STPL.

Last edited by BlackOut; 06-04-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Don't you think it's somewhat up to black individuals or the community as well? The Minneapolis area is home to 30 Fortune 1,000 companies and several large, private companies, including the country's largest - Cargill. It's a fact that these companies are looking to diversify their workforce. If black professionals aren't willing to move to Minneapolis, which IMO is a far better place to live than many major cities, then what can be done?

As far as taking a page out of cities like Dallas and Atlanta, the core cities of MPLS. - STPL. are doing just fine; perhaps better.

Growth in numbers from 1990 to 2000:
MPLS. - STPL.
Black: 31,294
Asian: 24,662
Other: 18,790
Hispanic: 34,154
Foreign born: 54,096

Dallas
Black: 9,104
Asian: 11,150
Other: 81,298
Hispanic: 218,466
Foreign born: 164,574

Atlanta
Black: -9,299
Asian: 4,885
Other: 4,890
Hispanic: 10,942
Foreign born: 13,998
I would put more stock in this if you werent comparing all of Minneapolis and St. Paul to just Dallas and just Atlanta. If you want to do it fairly, compare metro area to metro area.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I would put more stock in this if you werent comparing all of Minneapolis and St. Paul to just Dallas and just Atlanta. If you want to do it fairly, compare metro area to metro area.
What are you talking about? It's common knowledge that MPLS. - STPL. are the core cities of the TC metropolitan area. They are both major cities that literally border one another and are the reason the Twin Cities area even exist. Heck, you wouldn't even know what city you were in if it weren't for the street signs or the downtown areas. When it comes to the metropolitan area, they function as a core area. With that said, it's very much a legitimate comparison.

The whole argument against MPLS. and STPL. being the core area of the TC area is ridiculous. Take an urban studies class, read up on the history of the area, or better yet, VISIT the area before thinking they function like Dallas - Fort Worth or San Francisco - Oakland.

BTW, even without combining the growth in numbers, both MPLS. and STPL. are doing fine for cities their size.

Minneapolis
Black alone: 19,230
Asian: 8,323
Other race: 13,018
Hispanic: 21,776
Foreign Born: 32,851

St. Paul
Black alone: 12,064
Asian: 16,339
Other race: 5,772
Hispanic: 12,378
Foreign born: 21,245

Last edited by BlackOut; 06-04-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post

The whole argument against MPLS. and STPL. being the core area of the TC area is ridiculous. Take a urban studies class, read up on the history of the area, or better yet, VISIT the area before thinking they function like Dallas - Fort Worth or San Francisco - Oakland.
I have been both places several times. I also have a degree in geography, so I would be willing to be I know more about it that most people. No one is arguing that they dont. But you're comparing the entire metro area of MSP to just the cities of Dallas and Atlanta. Not only that, your data is over 10 years old.

With that said, its not a valid comparison. Its a slanted one. Especially since a lot of the diversity in Dallas and Atlanta exists in the suburbs. Look at the below links, for to see the here and now.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City