Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Honestly I think Austin being so "progressive and modern" is kinda overblown. It is STILL in Texas and no way do I think it's on the same level as the Pacific Northwest or coastal California in that regard.
So, what does that have to do with anything? Also why can't it be on the level of the Pacific Northwest or California. You do realize that Austin has a TON of people from California, Portland & Seattle.

Last edited by JoninATX; 05-05-2012 at 02:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They don't "refuse" to move to Portland. Portland is not even on the radar for most black people.
Wait a minute. So the issue isn't about Portland being anti-black, it's about blacks not knowing where Portland is or acknowledging that it exists?

Old 05-05-2012, 03:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
So, what does that have to do with anything? Also why can't it be on the level of the Pacific Northwest or California. You do realize that Austin has a TON of people from California, Portland & Seattle.
Oh I know, perhaps I should rephrase what I said. The Liberal/progressive/modern aspect of Austin is just a part of the city. When I was there it seemed like a normal city. Modern, yes but when you go to cities like Portland, Seattle, San Francisco you really get the vibe that those places are progressive and liberal no matter where you go in those cities. That's what I meant.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I never stated any of these cities were Anti-Black for the record.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
When I think "Anti-Black", Portland, Austin, San Jose, and especially Seattle aren't cities I associate with that label. They may not be doused with black cultural amenities, but there are certain blacks who would fit in those cities. These cities may have historically had a low (or moderate) black population, but from what I've heard and witnessed, the non-blacks in those cities aren't spending their financial, emotional, and psychical energy to drive out the blacks that reside there.

As of 2012, LA, SF, NY, Boston, and even Chicago and DC (surprisingly to some of you) are way more anti-black. These are cities that try to intentionally drive out blacks or make it well known to blacks to "stay in their place." And this applies to all blacks, whether you feel comfortable with the black culture or are an "Oreo" to the T.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
When I think "Anti-Black", Portland, Austin, San Jose, and especially Seattle aren't cities I associate with that label. They may not be doused with black cultural amenities, but there are certain blacks who would fit in those cities. These cities may have historically had a low (or moderate) black population, but from what I've heard and witnessed, the non-blacks in those cities aren't spending their financial, emotional, and psychical energy to drive out the blacks that reside there.

As of 2012, LA, SF, NY, Boston, and even Chicago and DC (surprisingly to some of you) are way more anti-black. These are cities that try to intentionally drive out blacks or make it well known to blacks to "stay in their place." And this applies to all blacks, whether you feel comfortable with the black culture or are an "Oreo" to the T.
What do you mean by those cities intentionally driving out Blacks? Are you referring to gentrification?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What do you mean by those cities intentionally driving out Blacks? Are you referring to gentrification?
Agree.....I don't think anti-black folks spend their free time trying to make life more miserable for black people (except maybe Neo Nazis or the KKK, but they don't have lives in the 1st place, so they don't count).

Old 05-05-2012, 08:43 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not even that deep. Most black people move to a city like Atlanta because they have family or friends there. The migratory pattern is self-reinforcing. They don't "refuse" to move to Portland. Portland is not even on the radar for most black people.

Not really. America kinda, sorta has had a history of white people excluding black people, ya know. So it's not too unreasonable for many black people to have that perception.
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr many blacks are racist. Tom-a-to, tom-ah-to.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:55 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr many blacks are racist. Tom-a-to, tom-ah-to.
What's that comment in reference to?????

Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 AM

139 posts, read 207,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

Oh Buddha, here we go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City