Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 04:43 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What do you mean by those cities intentionally driving out Blacks? Are you referring to gentrification?
Actually, Portland's NE side has had some gentrification and I believe those other cities Fairfaxian mentioned have as well. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

weouthere.net by Mobify

gentrification northeast portland - Google Search

Gentrification, Integration or Displacement?: The Seattle Story | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed

Urban Revival: The HIDMO - Gentrification in Seattle's Central District

KLRU: Austin Now > Politic/Economy > Gentrification

Extreme Makeover: Gentrification
Transforms East Austin - ABC News

Downtown San Jose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gentrification of Downtown San Jose | Downtown San Jose Real Estate

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-06-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Right, and that's why I wanted to know if he was referring to gentrification because it's happening pretty much everywhere.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
Unlike in most cities, Portland does not leave the inner city to rot, so it is not the sole territory of poor minorities. Racist, I know.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Since when does a low number of blacks indicate all white? Isn't Denver like 30% Latino? Denver is only barely over half non-hispanic white: 52.2%.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Unlike in most cities, Portland does not leave the inner city to rot, so it is not the sole territory of poor minorities. Racist, I know.
That's because there was no sizable Black population in Portland in the era of urban renewal.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Since when does a low number of blacks indicate all white? Isn't Denver like 30% Latino? Denver is only barely over half non-hispanic white: 52.2%.
Good point. Same can be said for Austin. Non-black doesn't equal White.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Right, and that's why I wanted to know if he was referring to gentrification because it's happening pretty much everywhere.
Portland/Oregon used to have the sundown laws. That sort of thing still have effects on today. Like there was a sizable Chinese Community in Idaho in the past... now there's hardly such a thing because the sundown laws chased them out. Now they need to market themselves to all kinds of minorities, but they're really not bad places to stay in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Good point. Same can be said for Austin. Non-black doesn't equal White.
Well, Seattle is about 70% White and Portland is about 73%. Neither really has a 2nd dominant race group.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Portland/Oregon used to have the sundown laws. That sort of thing still have effects on today. Like there was a sizable Chinese Community in Idaho in the past... now there's hardly such a thing because the sundown laws chased them out. Now they need to market themselves to all kinds of minorities, but they're really not bad places to stay in.

Well, Seattle is about 70% White and Portland is about 73%. Neither really has a 2nd dominant race group.
I would have to look up the list again, but recently I saw a list of whitest metros and Pittsburgh and Cleveland topped the list I believe, I was surprised on how far down Portland and Seattle were. That said, I know the city proper of those cities are majorly white, where as the city of Cleveland is like half black.

I don't really have a point here, just rambling for the sake of conversation.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
I'm a black twenty-something from Raleigh NC and looking to move somewhere west (The pollen here is the worst and I'm looking for somewhere new). I have friends in San Diego, LA, Seattle, Phoenix and have been to all those cites and really like them, and honestly when someone I know asks why I don't just move to Atlanta or Washington DC or New York I can't help but cringe. Those cities are great and I have tons of friends/family in them, but they are just so overdone to me. But like several other posters I think the reason that Austin, Portland, Seattle, Denver etc. don't have many black people is just circumstance. People of similar backgrounds and races tend to stick together and form a network, they also by in large follow the same thinking patterns as far as where they feel comfortable living. I like being different and kinda walk to my own drum and actually feel more comfortable in areas with races outside of my own are prevelant. So where I am in a select few that would actually go against the grain to find a city/home in areas with a higher black percentage, most would not. For the record in my travels people regardless of their race have been very nice, helpful, talkative. Just my two cents.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I'm a black twenty-something from Raleigh NC and looking to move somewhere west (The pollen here is the worst and I'm looking for somewhere new). I have friends in San Diego, LA, Seattle, Phoenix and have been to all those cites and really like them, and honestly when someone I know asks why I don't just move to Atlanta or Washington DC or New York I can't help but cringe. Those cities are great and I have tons of friends/family in them, but they are just so overdone to me. But like several other posters I think the reason that Austin, Portland, Seattle, Denver etc. don't have many black people is just circumstance. People of similar backgrounds and races tend to stick together and form a network, they also by in large follow the same thinking patterns as far as where they feel comfortable living. I like being different and kinda walk to my own drum and actually feel more comfortable in areas with races outside of my own are prevelant. So where I am in a select few that would actually go against the grain to find a city/home in areas with a higher black percentage, most would not. For the record in my travels people regardless of their race have been very nice, helpful, talkative. Just my two cents.
You can't underestimate location/geography too. I think that is a bigger reason for those cities having a lower percentage of Black residents. Even in parts of the Northeast and Midwest, you can find such cities/areas. I actually think that cities in those 2 regions with a decent to above average Black percentage in the city could offer a nice balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City