Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Lol. Glad you were at least able to laugh. Ya know I enjoy this type of back and forth, but I'll be candid in that I wish you wouldnt make incorrect assumptions and assertions about my knowledge of New Orleans. I too have a good deal of knowledge about the place and being married to a born and raised New Orleanian, I just might know more about the city than you via spousal proxy. We also currently live in Gentilly(to answer your question) so one might reason that I also know more of recent and current developments. So I can tell you your assertions about it not being a great city to live is just very simply incorrect...today. I would have fervently agreed and sent you an offering even 2 years ago, but we're not talking about then. The reason we chose New Orleans IS BECAUSE of the balance that exists here now between new business climate along with what we've always loved about it.

Now...I will amicably agree that my knowledge of Atlanta isn't the most extensive, but I've been there and have several friends and even family there. Some who even moved from New Orleans and now that Katrina's wrath is being unwrought they're coming to the 1-of-a-kind city they love to LIVE IN. So again, your vehement assertions about it not being a great city to live is just very simply incorrect. I didnt mean to say Atlanta isnt fun. I've said on many threads how much I loved visiting Atlanta. I also don't intend even slightly to paint New Orleans a perfect city. Its not. Just as the logical New Yorker would not contend NY to be peaceful or quiet. BUT GREAT CITIES don't try to be. And I guess therein lies the point I've been hammering. The difference between the A and NOLA is that one city prides itself in new buildings, industry, a huge airport, and business headquarters...while other city prides itself on its character, unique charm, preservation of architecture, cuisine, and the indellible mark it leaves on you. But you're right, its not perfect.

Ok, regarding your remarks about racial divide...I cant speak to that. Honestly, I live in Gentilly Terrace and I've not noticed a racial divide unless you mean in the ghetto. And even then, its a socio-economic divide more than racial.

Lastly, I recant my statement about New Orleans being "slow" because i dont have clarity as to the type of slow you mean. Regarding events, gatherings, etc. New Orleans isnt slow at all. But if you mean "slow" as in laid back lifestyle, of course you're right
Well I admit its been over a year since I was last there.I know its changing rapidly and I hope my concerns are unfounded.
I'd say Atlanta was so much like N.O. up until the early 90's.Lots of poverty and low educational standards.Housing projects dominated the city.
Now Atlanta has gotten rid of it projects and is becoming more diverse.I see this as a natural progression.
I know this is true somewhat of New Orleans currently.Have they gotten rid of the projects in New Orleans now?Are there plans too.
Isn't Gentilly Terrace near Dillard University?
'Segregated meaning the schools and other institutions.I have heard many concerns over blacks having harder time placed in higher corporate positions.Limited options upwardly mobile African Americans.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:52 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well I admit its been over a year since I was last there.I know its changing rapidly and I hope my concerns are unfounded.
I'd say Atlanta was so much like N.O. up until the early 90's.Lots of poverty and low educational standards.Housing projects dominated the city.
Now Atlanta has gotten rid of it projects and is becoming more diverse.I see this as a natural progression.
I know this is true somewhat of New Orleans currently.Have they gotten rid of the projects in New Orleans now?Are there plans too.
Isn't Gentilly Terrace near Dillard University?
'Segregated meaning the schools and other institutions.I have heard many concerns over blacks having harder time placed in higher corporate positions.Limited options upwardly mobile African Americans.

The Big 4 housing projects in New Orleans have all been demolished and rebuilt into mixed income communities. The final one, the Iberville, will begin demolition this week and will hopefully become wider transformation of the surrounding area (due to 2 billion dollar hospital complex, new streetcars, renovated theater district, 4 mile long linear park, pending Claiborne interstate removal).

Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
The Big 4 housing projects in New Orleans have all been demolished and rebuilt into mixed income communities. The final one, the Iberville, will begin demolition this week and will hopefully become wider transformation of the surrounding area (due to 2 billion dollar hospital complex, new streetcars, renovated theater district, 4 mile long linear park, pending Claiborne interstate removal).
Yep, even where we live in Gentilly, indeed near Dillard, used to be the St Bernard Projects. Its now a gorgeous townhouse community complete with fitness center, meeting rooms, internet cafes(2), playground, and pool. There are also plans to build a school right there.

...no I dont work for them. Lol

Old 08-26-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Yep, even where we live in Gentilly, indeed near Dillard, used to be the St Bernard Projects. Its now a gorgeous townhouse community complete with fitness center, meeting rooms, internet cafes(2), playground, and pool. There are also plans to build a school right there.

...no I dont work for them. Lol
thats what I remember!St.Bernard!!Oh it was HORRIBLE and scary!!
My dad was offered a job as Vice President at Dillard.He declined.
Glad to hear so much progress.I do believe N.O.s future is very bright.Sometimes a tragedy sheds light and gives a place a rebirth.I guess the citizens and the nation realized what we almost lost.
Maybe in 5-10 years I'll see you there.As of now.I'm staying put!lol

Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
thats what I remember!St.Bernard!!Oh it was HORRIBLE and scary!!
My dad was offered a job as Vice President at Dillard.He declined.
Glad to hear so much progress.I do believe N.O.s future is very bright.Sometimes a tragedy sheds light and gives a place a rebirth.I guess the citizens and the nation realized what we almost lost.
Maybe in 5-10 years I'll see you there.As of now.I'm staying put!lol
And likewise if the projections betray us, you might see me and my 3 in Cobb County...lol..because without the completed rebuild/resurgence, N.O. would actually be best for visits

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 08-26-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 PM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
New Orleans is not much more festive than Savannah Georgia.
This is SO not true. NOLA hosts many more larger events yearly that give the city a much more festive feel, not to mention the fact that the French Quarter has it all over River Street on a typical night/weekend (although River Street is impressive for a city Savannah's size).

Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Yes its slow.Atlanta is definitely faster.I don't see why its up for debate.
I live downtown Atlanta.this weekend I hopped on the subway and hung out with friends in Midtwwn before coming back downtown to hang out in the Edgewood area.We went out to eat at an organic restaurant in Buckhead at 3am.Where can you do that in N.O?
NO is a 24/7 city. You can do that in most places. Heck you can do that in Houston.
Quote:
I have also spent a lot of considerable time over the years in New Orleans.I can count as least 4 friends that live here in Atlanta and some who live in New Orleans.

Unlike you,I have spent considerable amount of time in New Orleans.I know what Im talking about.
Even the festivals here have a cultural implications.Overall they are not as unique as the are in N.O.I admit that with no reservations.However you make it sound like Atlanta does not have very exciting cultural attractions.Just not so.
As far as what you think versus what you know,are just two different things.
Correct here. Every major city has it's culture and I know Atlanta has it's own.

Quote:
Like Mutiny said:Balance.Its important.New Orleans just does not have that.
But it does.
Quote:
So you dont think New Orleans is slow?Thats not a bad thing.Its just what it is.Different strokes.
No one has still not commented on a statement I made earlier of how segregated it is.Just curious"what part of New Orleans do you live and how integrated is it?
I don't think New Orleans is slow. People there are more wordly and know more about geography and history than others I've ran into. People are laid back socially but it's the south.
Quote:
That's why you have some of the opinions you do. ALOT has happened in that year or two. ALOT.

Quote:
They are gone.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is SO not true. NOLA hosts many more larger events yearly that give the city a much more festive feel, not to mention the fact that the French Quarter has it all over River Street on a typical night/weekend (although River Street is impressive for a city Savannah's size).
Yeah, if we had Mardi Gras and nothing else, we'd still be in the top 5 party cities.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Have you been to City Market or Ellis Square around midnight?River Street is not the main area anymore.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
NO is a 24/7 city. You can do that in most places. Heck you can do that in Houston.
Correct here. Every major city has it's culture and I know Atlanta has it's own.

But it does.

I don't think New Orleans is slow. People there are more wordly and know more about geography and history than others I've ran into. People are laid back socially but it's the south.
That's why you have some of the opinions you do. ALOT has happened in that year or two. ALOT.

They are gone.
So where can you get organic food in N.O. after midnight?Vegetarian?
You can here in Atlanta 24/7
R. Thomas Deluxe Grill: Welcome to R. Thomas Deluxe Grill!

For population 25 years and over in New Orleans:

• High school or higher: 83.7%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 32.4%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 14.2%

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/New-Or...#ixzz2dB189xzi
For population 25 years and over in Atlanta:

• High school or higher: 88.3%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 47.2%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 17.9%

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Atlant...#ixzz2dB4lMYvK
From those stats,which city would you conclude is more wordly and educated.?
?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City