Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Walkable City?
New York City, NY 140 59.57%
Los Angeles, CA 7 2.98%
Chicago, IL 63 26.81%
Houston, TX 7 2.98%
Phoenix, AZ 2 0.85%
Philadelphia, PA 48 20.43%
San Antonio, TX 4 1.70%
Dallas, TX 5 2.13%
San Diego, CA 8 3.40%
San Jose, CA 4 1.70%
Detroit, MI 4 1.70%
San Francisco, CA 73 31.06%
Jacksonville, FL 1 0.43%
Indianapolis, IN 1 0.43%
Austin, TX 5 2.13%
Columbus, OH 3 1.28%
Fort Worth, TX 2 0.85%
Charlotte, NC 1 0.43%
Memphis, TN 1 0.43%
Baltimore, MD 19 8.09%
Boston, MA 66 28.09%
El Paso, TX 2 0.85%
Milwaukee, WI 15 6.38%
Denver, CO 9 3.83%
Seattle, WA 24 10.21%
Nashville, TN 1 0.43%
Washington D.C. 49 20.85%
Las Vegas, NV 2 0.85%
Portland, OR 24 10.21%
Louisville, KY 1 0.43%
Oklahoma City, OK 1 0.43%
Tucson, AZ 1 0.43%
Atlanta, GA 5 2.13%
Albuquerque, NM 2 0.85%
Kansas City, MO 2 0.85%
Anchorage, AK 4 1.70%
Sacramento, CA 4 1.70%
Long Beach, CA 5 2.13%
Boise, ID 2 0.85%
Omaha, NE 1 0.43%
Cleveland, OH 8 3.40%
Pittsburgh, PA 21 8.94%
Miami, FL 11 4.68%
Tampa, FL 1 0.43%
Reno, NV 1 0.43%
New Orleans, LA 16 6.81%
Minneapolis, MN 9 3.83%
Des Moines, IA 1 0.43%
Honolulu, HI 11 4.68%
Other 7 2.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 03:02 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
After years of hard work Houston has shed its reputation for walkability and is now the most walkable city in Texas.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...s-18617267.php
Texas as a whole has a bad reputation for being unwalkable so this is like a group of short men arguing over who’s tallest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 03:27 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,859 times
Based on my personal experience, I would say New York. All of the 5 boroughs (though to a lesser extent with Staten Island) all of the city is extremely walkable. Anyone who likes keeping track of their steps via Fitbit will love The Big Apple. I almost feel it's more convenient to NOT have a car in the city, especially in Manhattan, and you don't really need one even in the more suburban parts of Brooklyn or Queens because all the streets are laid out in a grid pattern, and even those areas have buses and subways. If they could just upgrade the subway stations so they no longer smell like urine . . .

Chicago is also very walkable. I've only been once, but I love that city and had a fantastic time there. I felt it was a smaller, cleaner, more subdued version of New York. Very walkable, and also a very friendly city (at least from my experience). And even the more densely populated areas have more trees, so overall it seems like more of a leafy city, if that makes sense.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:36 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Anyone who voted for anything other than NYC, Boston, DC, SF, Chicago, and Philadelphia are homers of the worst sort.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:13 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Anyone who voted for anything other than NYC, Boston, DC, SF, Chicago, and Philadelphia are homers of the worst sort.
That would be 95% of the people who post here.

Any city can be walkable if you live on the right street and are close to the things you need.

Small town America is good for walk ability, my bank, library, post office and a small neighborhood IGA are all in walking distance, I only use my car when I have to, I can walk to downtown in 5 minutes.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:38 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
That would be 95% of the people who post here.

Any city can be walkable if you live on the right street and are close to the things you need.

Small town America is good for walk ability, my bank, library, post office and a small neighborhood IGA are all in walking distance, I only use my car when I have to, I can walk to downtown in 5 minutes.
We aren't talking about walkable blocks we are talking about walkable cities.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:51 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
We aren't talking about walkable blocks we are talking about walkable cities.
Also a lot of small towns are fake walkable.

They may have some nice restaurants couple specialty stores on Main Street, perhaps a corner store, barber shop.

But the Pharmacy, Grocery store, department store, high school etc are way of the edge of town on State Route 46 which is a 4 lane stroad
Heck a lot of big cities lack livable amenities in their most structurally urban neighborhoods.

Binghamton NY is the only city under 100,000 I can think of with a downtown department store. Some very big cities lack downtown grocery, like Nashville or Rochester NY.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:53 AM

367 posts, read 584,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Also a lot of small towns are fake walkable.

They may have some nice restaurants couple specialty stores on Main Street, perhaps a corner store, barber shop.

But the Pharmacy, Grocery store, department store, high school etc are way of the edge of town on State Route 46 which is a 4 lane stroad
Heck a lot of big cities lack livable amenities in their most structurally urban neighborhoods.

Binghamton NY is the only city under 100,000 I can think of with a downtown department store. Some very big cities lack downtown grocery, like Nashville or Rochester NY.
Nashville has a Publix and Whole Foods downtown along with a couple of other smaller grocery stores.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:45 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Nashville has a Publix and Whole Foods downtown along with a couple of other smaller grocery stores.
Its funny because when cities and neighborhoods claim to have a grocery store and say like Trader Joes or something super upscale that is unattainable to most of the population, doesn’t really make a city walkable because you have to leave that neighborhood to get market rate food products. However, I find that Whole Foods has some good deals and study after study shows that Whole Foods has the cheapest grocery store list. Not always the case, but I do think Whole Foods is a great place to shop in to get good products.

But where I work in Manhattan theres 2 grocery stores, neither of which have products that the average family/person would buy. Lmao. Totally “walkable” if you have to travel 20 minutes by rail to get a good grocer. Seaport in Boston is also not as “walkable” as perceived. They have a Trader Joes. You have to walk 45 minutes to North Station’s Star Market, or the Whole Foods in The South End to get produce and good food products.

Huge socioeconomic factor we miss in walkability.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:57 AM

93 posts, read 84,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its funny because when cities and neighborhoods claim to have a grocery store and say like Trader Joes or something super upscale that is unattainable to most of the population, doesn’t really make a city walkable because you have to leave that neighborhood to get market rate food products. However, I find that Whole Foods has some good deals and study after study shows that Whole Foods has the cheapest grocery store list. Not always the case, but I do think Whole Foods is a great place to shop in to get good products.

But where I work in Manhattan theres 2 grocery stores, neither of which have products that the average family/person would buy. Lmao. Totally “walkable” if you have to travel 20 minutes by rail to get a good grocer. Seaport in Boston is also not as “walkable” as perceived. They have a Trader Joes. You have to walk 45 minutes to North Station’s Star Market, or the Whole Foods in The South End to get produce and good food products.

I don't know where you saw this "study after study", but Trader Joe's is significantly cheaper than Whole Foods. A simple Google search shows that and that's definitely been my experience. Of course TJ always has a narrower range of selections but that's how they keep prices low.

Old 01-25-2024, 11:03 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Where in Manhattan is this?

Anyway, yes, it's walkable... All of the basic goods can typically be found right at the street corner, anywhere. Eggs, bread, milk, paper goods, etc. There are corner stores, as well as markets of all types, including produce, scattered all over the place. For most things, you don't really need a major grocer, especially if you're on foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City