Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where ?
New York City 84 18.34%
Los Angeles 77 16.81%
Miami 91 19.87%
Las Vegas 11 2.40%
Dallas 34 7.42%
Chicago 18 3.93%
San Francisco 8 1.75%
Houston 30 6.55%
Atlanta 36 7.86%
Another 69 15.07%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times

Advertisements

Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 AM

32 posts, read 75,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
we walk it off, tho.

(generalization here)
you guys walk from the house to the car in the garage outside of the house/parking spot outside of your apartment.

we walk from the apartment to the:

a. train station, and we have to walk down/up stairs before we get on the train.
b. bus stop, usually to walk even farther to take the train, so go back to A.
c. cab to take the bus/train.

then we have to walk up/down the stairs then walk a ton of blocks to get where we have to go, usually.

we are on our feet for a long, long time during the day in comparison to ppl in the south.

we don't eat as many fatty and/or fried foods and we exercise by walking a lot more than you guys do.

*edit*
another common myth is that we don't cook, we don't have access to fresh fruit/vegetables, etc. but that stuff isn't necessarily true, either.
I understand that some of you walk a lot; however, Southerners exercise as well. Yes, it true that the south has a higher obesity rate, yet in some Southern cities (Atlanta, Miami and many others) many people exercise often. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta and the citizens of my area are constantly exercising daily. We have many walking trails, mountains and so forth to do this.
My girl-friend is from Miami and she often applauds the amount of people she sees exercising in Atlanta. The amount of fit people in Atlanta (including myself) motivated her to get into shape.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
kony, we should just chill and let the southerners have this one.

we're supposed to believe that southern females are cooking the same types of foods that females are in a city like ny, in a city that is more diverse than anything in this region, the region below us, the region to the side of that, etc.

in a city where our MANY cultures go hand in hand with each other and where ppl rub off on each other, where cultures mold into one.

we're supposed to believe that exceptions to the rule are now the norm.

only on CD.

my half bajan half turkish, 1/3 of a quarter dutch slash cambodian japanese sudanese grandmother baked cookies from recipes known only by the monks in tibet on the east side of the grey rocks too!! thats how we do in the atl!! all of the south is like that too!

my wife's neighbor's husband's wife from little haiti is black scotch irish italian Brazilian and makes knishes all the time! miami is just like atl and nyc!
You need to speak on what you know because soul food was rarely cooked in my household outside of special occasions and holidays. If you honestly think southerners are that simple that we have no creativity or uniqueness when it comes to our food; than you are very much misinformed and should take another trip down south.

Seriously, ask any southerner in here how many times our parents and family actually make true soul food. It's very rare because soul food includes lots of time and work. Nobody is going to wake up everyday to make that stuff; especially my momma.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times
can you show me where i mentioned soul food??

Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 AM
eek

also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I guess you weren't implying, you came right out and said it.
show me where i said all southerners cooked was chitlins, and other types of soul food.

show me.
Quote:
It is much more normal for families in the south to cook food that have differing cultural origins than to just cook chitlins and collard greens every night as you seem to be implying.

Do you think that because someone was born in the south they can't make lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken and rice, black beans and rice, curry chicken, etc?
see, this is what was in your head so this is what YOU posted.

YOU are not ME. just because YOU were thinking of that stereotype of southerners only cooking chitlins, collard greens, etc. doesn't mean that that's what i said or thought.

i said nothing like that and you got something completely different out of what i said.

that says a lot about you and what you think of the south.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
can you show me where i mentioned soul food??
It was directed at you and others. I just quoted yours because you were the last post made that I wanted to address.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It was directed at you and others. I just quoted yours because you were the last post made that I wanted to address.
na. speak on what you know about because i didn't say anything about southerners and soul food. that was mike peterson, a southerner, who said that. quote him.

Quote:
I guess you weren't implying, you came right out and said it.
show me where i said southerners only cooked soul food in this thread and i'll log off and stop posting right now.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
eek

since i know that you won't be able to find what i didn't say,

this is what i said:

Quote:

we don't eat as many fatty and/or fried foods and we exercise by walking a lot more than you guys do.

*edit*
another common myth is that we don't cook, we don't have access to fresh fruit/vegetables, etc. but that stuff isn't necessarily true, either.
how you got soul food out of that i have no idea. how you got chitlins, fat back, collard greens, ham hock and all that, i have no idea.

reading comprehension. google it, mike/jluke.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
na. speak on what you know about because i didn't say anything about southerners and soul food. that was mike peterson, a southerner, who said that. quote him.

show me where i said southerners only cooked soul food in this thread and i'll log off and stop posting right now.

OK ,but you said something along the lines of southerners not being as diverse or creative in their cooking compared to northerners.

and I don't have to show you because I clearly said I was taking to you and others, but K.O.N.Y said it and you cosigned.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
So you think people make pizza and bagels just as well in Texas? No, there are plenty of NYers here in south Florida who try to make them, and it just doesn't taste the same. Just like how you say the mexican/bbq isn't as good in NY, same goes for pizza and bagels down there.
People in the south really arent that crazy about "Pizza and Bagels" honestly. Not like they are up north. Or should I say that its not as popular to the people down here. Its not even like "real" food to me. IMO Its more of a snack or whatever.

The only people I ever really hear talk of the quality of pizza and bagels are people from the north. Somebody from the south is more than likely to be like who cares...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City