Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,087 times

Advertisements

I was one of the victims of the economy and lost my job after 10 years as a hospital administrator (2 years ago). On July 1, I was hired as a clinic director and oversee a community health clinic. I'm looking for a place to rent, preferably, 3-4 bedrooms w/o carpet in the living and dining area. I am a 50 yo, very clean, considerate, respectful and honest. I have two grandchildren who would be living w/me and one other adult. The problem is after getting laid off my last job my credit is completely SHOT and will not qualify if a credit check is run on me. I have paid at $500 in credit fees only to be turned down for each rental sought. I just want a nice place to live in for someone who will trust me enough to take great care of their place. I value my privacy thus do not care for nosy neighbors and or landlords. If there is anyone out there who reciprocates and appreciates these same values please give me a chance. I make $66,000/yr and looking for something in the range of 800-1000/month. Also, I am seeking a nice vehicle. If you are will to accept payments plus allow me to take the vehicle I am willing to pay bi-weekly until paid off. Thank you.

OMG - I thought this was a community board that would provide some guidance with a little humility not to beat my request to shreds. But, I guess the world is still full of ignorant people who care less of others except to find words to humiliate them further. I'm not asking for sympathy at anyone's expense nor have I ever taken advantage of anyone or the "system". Yeah, I am making $66,000 per year and that's after spending 8-10 years in school to earn the degrees required. I didn't ask for a handout so I don't know what offended KarmaPhx - can someone interpret this for me? Sounds like he/she is the one w/the chip on the shoulder. Thanks to all who have shown compassion and empathy rather than hatred towards me and my position. I'm sorry you have no ability to know and or understand the previous sentence KarmaPhx, but like your name implies what goes around comes around. Good luck and God bless you.

Last edited by 2goldens; 09-09-2009 at 04:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
You should post this on Craig's List. Not here.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,585 times
Yes, craigslist is a great place. Everyone I know in your situation hasnt had a problem finding a rental. Go with someone who isnt using a property manager. They may be more liekly to rent to someone with credit issues....

Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
You make $65k a year and you're complaining about money? Sounds like you're a victim of poor planning or poor financial management, not the economy.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
You make $65k a year and you're complaining about money? Sounds like you're a victim of poor planning or poor financial management, not the economy.
He has been off work for 2 years Josh!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM

136 posts, read 107,727 times
Quote:
She makes 66K a year now after being wrecked by being unemployed for so long. Have a little sympathy if you can muster it up; you may be in the same situation some day.

OP, I can understand your situation. Good luck to you.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botique View Post
She makes 66K a year now after being wrecked by being unemployed for so long. Have a little sympathy if you can muster it up; you may be in the same situation some day.

OP, I can understand your situation. Good luck to you.
I was unemployed for over a month this year, and I did not receive a dime from the state. There are a ton of jobs out there right now, maybe not making $65k a year, but enough to live comfortably.

I make a third of what she makes and I do just fine.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
I was unemployed for over a month this year, and I did not receive a dime from the state. There are a ton of jobs out there right now, maybe not making $65k a year, but enough to live comfortably.

There is a difference - a BIG difference here Josh: you were unemployed for 1 month. The OP was unemployed for 2 YEARS

And, I would hazard a guess that the OP had more, far more expenses - normal day to day living expenses than you do Josh. Their life style - the type of living they do is different than yours. For instance, you live in a small apartment - they may live in a large home (my home is 6,000 sq ft). My gasoline bill per month is more than you make in a month!

To be blunt Josh - you really are in no position - NO POSITION WHATSOEVER to criticize another's financial condition and especially so by trying to compare it to yours when you make close to minimum wage.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:

Along with coming off as really self-righteous, you aren't reading what the OP is posting very carefully, or you are not dealing with their situation as it is, not as what you think it should have been. Losing a good job with no warning, and then having none for a long time (not just the one month period that you experienced, can cause no end of trouble. You haven't ever been in the situation the OP is in (you haven't lived long enough, for one thing).

Now, the OP has a good job again, but that's not the end of the story. We aren't rewriting history here, and saying the OP should have been able to get a lower paying job before this. We are dealing with the situation as it is. With bad credit after a long period of unemployment, the OP is having trouble renting, because of credit checks. I suspect getting a car loan is problematic due to the same reasons.

The suggestion to go through craigslist was a good one as a good place to start. Dealing with private parties vs. corporate dealers/landlords should be better.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:42 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There is a difference - a BIG difference here Josh: you were unemployed for 1 month. The OP was unemployed for 2 YEARS

And, I would hazard a guess that the OP had more, far more expenses - normal day to day living expenses than you do Josh. Their life style - the type of living they do is different than yours. For instance, you live in a small apartment - they may live in a large home (my home is 6,000 sq ft). My gasoline bill per month is more than you make in a month!

To be blunt Josh - you really are in no position - NO POSITION WHATSOEVER to criticize another's financial condition and especially so by trying to compare it to yours when you make close to minimum wage.
Sounds like OP has 2 grand kids to take care of as well. And OP is not complaining about the income, just that the damage to the credit has made it difficult to rent a place and buy a car. I don't know about that though, as I have a lot of dead beat relatives and they all have a roof over their heads and cars. I think there are a lot of desperate landlords out there. I second the "post it on Craigslist" advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads