Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:14 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times

Advertisements

Was thinking about a long weekend on the Erie coast with the family. I have two small children. Was wondering where we should go. I am from outside of Pittsburgh and really don't know much about the Erie Coast in Ohio. I was thinking about Kellys Island. What is it like? Any other towns that would be good for a young family. Basically, looking for a quiet town with a reasonable beach for two small kids.

Thanks.

Last edited by robrobrob; 06-10-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 02:39 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Actually I would probably recommend Conneaut, Ohio for you and your young kids. Kelly's would be ok, but I think the young ones would have a better time in Conneaut.
One of the nicer beaches in the state and a great little Boardwalk with cool shops and touristy style restaurants. There are B&B's or cottages to rent right on the lake. Very tourist but very family friendly.

Couple links for you:

Conneaut, Ohio Tourism, Conneaut Board of Tourism, Visit Conneaut Ohio

Conneaut, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reader favors Conneaut beach for summertime fun | cleveland.com

Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 AM

147 posts, read 646,053 times
Years ago we would vacation on Kelly's Island. There wasn't much to do there for kids other than a miniature golf course. A few bars and restaurants, a small beach and a winery, but that information is probably years out of date. All the party people went to Put In Bay on South Bass Island and pretty much left Kelly's alone.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 PM

25 posts, read 60,696 times
While we're at it on this topic does anyone have a decent place to stay in Put In Bay? I've read reviews of the hotels/cottages on the island online and they all seem to be terrible.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:25 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Sandusky has some nice waterparks to consider.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM

My kids are too young (3 and 2) to do many activities. Basically, looking for a quiet beach where they can dig in the sand. A place to grab a cup of coffee would be great too. It is only for a weekend so we really don't need that much. We are just trying to avoid a long drive which is why the Jersey Shore is out of the question.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:01 PM

114 posts, read 305,673 times
I'm heading to Put-In-Bay soon. Can anyone tell me what it's like there and what there is to do?

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
My kids are too young (3 and 2) to do many activities. Basically, looking for a quiet beach where they can dig in the sand. A place to grab a cup of coffee would be great too. It is only for a weekend so we really don't need that much. We are just trying to avoid a long drive which is why the Jersey Shore is out of the question.
You're question has been answered. Conneaut. End of discussion.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Any thoughts on where to find a cottage to rent in Connaut?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 AM

129 posts, read 346,344 times
Check tripadvisor.com for reviews for Conneaut or the Erie Islands area - they have vacation rentals as well as hotel & activity reviews from real travelers. (I sound like a commercial, but the site's been very helpful for us - we've found lots of gems and avoided the bad experiences.)
The Lake Erie Islands & Shores (Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands, Cedar Point, Family Vacation) is a nice area for families. Stay in Port Clinton or Marblehead, and take the ferry or Jet Express to one of the islands for the day. Kelly's Island is mostly state park, with glacier-striated rocks and such. Put-in-Bay is family-friendly by day, with bikes to rent and Perry's Monument to see, and a party by night.
Sandusky is another choice - lots of stuff to do, even if you don't go to Cedar Point, although they have a surprisingly nice sandy beach on the property.
I'm not very familiar with Conneaut, but a bit west of there is Geneva-on-the-Lake, a real old-fashioned summer vacation town, with a main drag with lots of entertainment, miniature gold, ice cream, and a great burger stand (Eddie's). Also a state park, if you prefer the quiet of nature to noise of a tourist town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland