Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 11:45 AM

9 posts, read 59,768 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any information on the Lake Erie Islands? We are just looking for a weekend get-a-way from the kids in late August. We are looking at Kelley's Island, as we hear Put-n-Bay might be a bit bourbon street as we like to drink and have fun, but not with a bunch of drunk 20-year olds. Our information could be wrong, as we have only lived in Ohio for 5 months.

Anyone have any suggestions? Which island, should we take a car over, recommendations on bed and breakfast's etc.

I am actually suprised there is not more forums on the islands and cedar point as someone told me the other day that is the Disney World of the north up there - lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 01:46 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I haven't been to Kelley's Island in about 10 years, but we had no problem getting around the island by bike or on foot. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 PM

154 posts, read 606,259 times
As far as Put-in-Bay goes, there are a lot of younger people and bachelor and bachelorette parties that happen there. Although, I see people of all ages there. Delaware Street is the main drag with most of the bars. Some charge a cover and some don't. There are some good Put-in-Bay websites that can be found in Google.

You don't need a car if you go. There are taxis and you can rent golf carts. Just take the Jet Express from Port Clinton or Sandusky. Getting a place to stay in the Summer is difficult and expensive.

There are always events in the Summer - Christmas in July, New Year's Eve in September, and Halloween are some of the big events. Just bring money and don't miss your boat. It's no fun waiting all night on a bench at the dock for the first boat of the day!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 AM
HAS

106 posts, read 593,169 times
Smile The Islands

My family and I go to Kelley's Island every year and we love it. I have been to Put-in-Bay and enjoyed it, however, your information is correct: it gets a bit more wild at night and if you're not up for that, don't plan on being there after happy hour.

As far as getting to Kelley's Island, there is only one ferry company right now. There used to be two, but the other was bought out by the current. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but it's our of Marblehead, OH. We always take our car over with us, although it is a bit pricey. I believe you pay per person in the car, as well as paying for the car. There is the option to go over by foot or on bike though. Kelley's Island is TINY, so if you planned on staying for just a day, this would be a fine option. I think it's only two miles from end to end...maybe even less.

If you do choose to go over by car and stay for more than just a day, there are houses that you can rent. If I'm not mistaken, these houses are the only lodging on the island...meaning I don't think there are any hotels. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing or hearing about any hotels. They are quite pricey. We stay with other families to split up the cost. Also very expensive is the food. We take as much over with us as we can to avoid spending money at their grocery store.

There are quite a few activities to keep you occupied while on the island as well. In the Downtown area, there's putt-putt, souvenir shops, ice cream, restaurants and a bar, and that's about it. The first year we went we also went to see the glacier grooves, which are really neat, however they're not something you keep going back to see. Usually, while we're down there all we do is hang out at our house, go to the beach (there is a public sand beach as well as our private beach that the house is on), and play putt-putt. It's more relaxing than exciting.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 AM

10 posts, read 33,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAS View Post
My family and I go to Kelley's Island every year and we love it. I have been to Put-in-Bay and enjoyed it, however, your information is correct: it gets a bit more wild at night and if you're not up for that, don't plan on being there after happy hour.

As far as getting to Kelley's Island, there is only one ferry company right now. There used to be two, but the other was bought out by the current. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but it's our of Marblehead, OH. We always take our car over with us, although it is a bit pricey. I believe you pay per person in the car, as well as paying for the car. There is the option to go over by foot or on bike though. Kelley's Island is TINY, so if you planned on staying for just a day, this would be a fine option. I think it's only two miles from end to end...maybe even less.

If you do choose to go over by car and stay for more than just a day, there are houses that you can rent. If I'm not mistaken, these houses are the only lodging on the island...meaning I don't think there are any hotels. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing or hearing about any hotels. They are quite pricey. We stay with other families to split up the cost. Also very expensive is the food. We take as much over with us as we can to avoid spending money at their grocery store.

There are quite a few activities to keep you occupied while on the island as well. In the Downtown area, there's putt-putt, souvenir shops, ice cream, restaurants and a bar, and that's about it. The first year we went we also went to see the glacier grooves, which are really neat, however they're not something you keep going back to see. Usually, while we're down there all we do is hang out at our house, go to the beach (there is a public sand beach as well as our private beach that the house is on), and play putt-putt. It's more relaxing than exciting.
Nice post. I'm going to Kelley's for a week's vacation in August (for the first time) and its good to hear the positive feedback. What is the name of the remaining ferry company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland