Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Where are all these people? The latest lists I've seen show the Cleveland area in the top five in population loss over the past decade.
The people have migrated from Cuyahoga to Lorain, Medina, Wayne, Lake, Geauga, and Portage counties. It's not all that dissimilar to what is happening in Cook county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Please, don't even tell me the assets Dayton brings to the table, because they don't even compete with Cleveland. I am a huge supporter of Dayton, but let's be serious.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I assume you meant, "no one wants to actually say, this is what we want to do."

You don't sound like you have any interest in finding out what Cleveland wants to do, so why should we listen to you? You're only interested in talking about how great Dayton is.
Yeah go to the dayton forum, lol

Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The people have migrated from Cuyahoga to Lorain, Medina, Wayne, Lake, Geauga, and Portage counties. It's not all that dissimilar to what is happening in Cook county.
The Census table I posted shows a 2.6 percent net population loss for Cleveland's MSA -- not for merely the city proper or just Cuyahoga County.

The same table shows a 5.3 percent net population gain for the Chicago MSA.

Please try again.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
The Census table I posted shows a 2.6 percent population loss for Cleveland's MSA -- not for merely the city proper or just Cuyahoga County.

The same table shows a 5.3 net population gain for the Chicago MSA.

Please try again.
The MSA (the same statistical area they have used for the past 4 decades) doesn't really represent the entire area very well. The losses in population here have been largely insignificant. Chicago's MSA covers a much wider area than Cleveland's. It's a completely inappropriate comparison.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
Yeah go to the dayton forum, lol
lol yes, such an active forum.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
lol yes, such an active forum.
Lmbo!!!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
The Census table I posted shows a 2.6 percent net population loss for Cleveland's MSA -- not for merely the city proper or just Cuyahoga County.
Greater Akron, which is not part of the Cleveland MSA, saw a modest population gain. Not enough to outweigh Cleveland's losses, but still worth mentioning I believe.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Greater Akron, which is not part of the Cleveland MSA, saw a modest population gain. Not enough to outweigh Cleveland's losses, but still worth mentioning I believe.
I didn't realize we were talking about Akron here. The statement I was challenging was that so many people are moving "to Cleveland" from elsewhere, or moving "back to Cleveland" from wherever it is that they once escaped to. I asked, "Then why the 2.6 percent population loss -- fifth largest loss in the country?"

I don't know that residents of Greater Akron, on the whole, really think of themselves as "Clevelanders".

Cleveland Collector mentioned, among other places, Medina and Wayne Counties as places people migrated to in a feeble attempt to explain away the Cleveland area's population loss.

Well, I have relatives in Medina County -- and I know people in Wayne County -- who don't really identify with "Cleveland" at all, with maybe the exception of rooting for the city's sports teams. I know for a fact that when they travel, they don't tell people they are from "Cleveland"... instead they say they're from "Akron".

They do not consider themselves Clevelanders. So why should we?

So let me ask again: If so many people are moving to Cleveland, and moving back to Cleveland, how could there be such a large population loss, as reported by the Census Bureau, for the Cleveland MSA for the past ten years?

Let's deal with reality here... instead of moving the goalposts all over the place in an attempt to fool ourselves.

"Oh, they moved to Medina and Wayne Counties, they moved to Greater Akron, and that's all still Cleveland anyway" just doesn't cut it.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
^ The biggest changes may be occurring within the past year. I personally moved back in March (although I was not counted in the census), and I know of at least ten professionals who have moved back within the past year.

The census will show a decade of loss, but it is not a current snapshop of today here and now. In fact, I'm willing to bet Cleveland's population is damn close to stablizing within the next year or two. We were hurt from the foreclosure crisis, but the city has recovered.

There us so much of a pro-Cleveland posiitive vibe around town lately that the momentum is undeniable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland