Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
I can't really say but the schools in Westlake are going to be much better than other nearby cities.
Love everything you have written in this thread except this.
That's simply not true.
Pretty much every city surrounding Westlake has schools that are every bit as good.
Avon, Bay Village, Rocky River, North Olmsted.

And as I always say: Parents are much more important then any school district. In my opinion 80% of the suburban school districts in Cuyahoga County are going to provide the same education. A kid that graduates from Westlake is not going to be any smarter then a kid that graduates from Berea based on just the school system itself.
Oh, maybe one or two will offer mandarin Chinese instead of German as a language to learn, but really the differences are not that huge.
Parent involvement is the #1 most important factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM

389 posts, read 804,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Love everything you have written in this thread except this.
That's simply not true.
Pretty much every city surrounding Westlake has schools that are every bit as good.
Avon, Bay Village, Rocky River, North Olmsted.

And as I always say: Parents are much more important then any school district. In my opinion 80% of the suburban school districts in Cuyahoga County are going to provide the same education. A kid that graduates from Westlake is not going to be any smarter then a kid that graduates from Berea based on just the school system itself.
Oh, maybe one or two will offer mandarin Chinese instead of German as a language to learn, but really the differences are not that huge.
Parent involvement is the #1 most important factor.
That didn't come out right! Sorry about that. What I meant to say is the surrounding schools near Cleveland Clinic!! Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, I have kids in Avon schools and they are terrific. I'm not able to edit that either.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 PM

LOL No feathers ruffled.
(Did you know that my username is based on the Peregrine Falcon? Ruffled feathers? Funnny! )

Anyway, I certainly agree with your last statement about schools near the Clinic.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
LOL No feathers ruffled.
(Did you know that my username is based on the Peregrine Falcon? Ruffled feathers? Funnny! )

Anyway, I certainly agree with your last statement about schools near the Clinic.
Attached is a picture of a peregrine falcon (I think) from out the window high up in the superior builidng. I have heard they like to call the buildings downtown home.
Attached Thumbnails
Commute from Westside-sspx0009.jpg  

Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 AM

Don't get me started.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times
Today is a GREAT example of the worst possible conditions for Cleveland traffic. I will let you know how long my normally 35 minute takes with the hellacious snow on the east side.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Ha, you beat me to the punch. My wife hasn't made it out of the parking garage. She went back to work. I'm listening to the TV-- someone said it took 2 hours to get out of the UH parking garage and on to the street.

Others are reporting that the snow plows are stuck.

Others reporting 2 hours just to get from the city streets to the highways.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_...163220&catid=3

Here is the funny thing, out here in Avon (Next to Westlake for the Original Poster), the sun shined all day long.

EDIT: My wife is considering spending the night at the hospital.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Yea, I always say we get these types of things 3or 4 times a year. Starting early this year... might double that number this winter.

Took me twice as long to get home because I took city streets and not 90. 30 min instead of 15. Yea, the westside didn't get it bad at all/

Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times
Took me 3 hours and 15 minutes to go from the VA to North Olmsted. Ambulances were even stuck in traffic. I have never seen a worse traffic jam than today. Once I got onto the west side freeways, it was smooth sailing though. Totally ruined my day this traffic jam did. Going in tomorrow better be smooth. The sad thing about today was, there was absolutely no way around it. The freeways were all packed, all the surface streets were packed.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 AM

7 posts, read 19,676 times
I'm starting to wonder about our decision to move to Cleveland (lol). Given those horrendous commute times, I am starting to reconsider the East side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland