Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM

13 posts, read 23,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee to the Cleve View Post
Kent State University

College Student Locations: There is a decent amount of student population on Campus and quite a few commuters as well. As students move out of the dorms they usually stay in the Kent/Franklin Twp area, as there are a lot of apartment complexes that cater to students. There are also quite a few who live in neighboring Summit county in Stow, Tallmadge, and Cuyahoga Falls.

College-friendly Restaurants - Mike's Place in Kent is the big restaurant to go (They have an X-wing fighter in front of the restaurant and a bus inside). There is also Many sub shops (Mostly chain) that people like to go to.

Apartments, Living Quarters - A lot of apartments that cater to students are in the City of Kent and surrounding areas. There is one, Campus Pointe, that exclusively seeks out college students. There are also a lot of rentals in the city that students take advantage of.

Favorite Bars/Bar Locations - Ray's, The Loft, Water Street Tavern, Mugs, BW-3s, Zepher, Brewhouse (Cheap Brews) all in downtown Kent. My personal favorite being Ray's.

College Hangouts - Frat Houses on Main Street and University Street by the university were always popular on the weekends. Other than that there was the local bars. Kent State was/is a big "suitcase" campus, where most of the students that live there go home on the weekends. Keep in mind that it is a suburban campus, so it does not have all the amenities that an urban campus has.

Concert Venues - I think there was one or two there but it was for unknown groups. For bigger shows, you went to Cleveland.

Shopping - Chapel Hill Mall (Biggest complaint from students), local Wal-Mart or Target. That was about it.

Favorite Study Locations - My favorite place to study off campus was the Kent Dam during nice weather... very peaceful there. Other than that students like to go to Starbuck's or Susan's Coffee (Which has recently closed). Most students that I know of just stay on campus though.

Hope all of this helps and good luck with your research.
Thank you for helping me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARapaport86 View Post
You really dont want to go to college in cleveland. If you want a real college experience you need to go to OSU, Miami, or one of the other schools that are NOT in cleveland
I've graduated. I'm just doing research on student life in Cleveland.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeababy View Post
i would re-post your question and indicate the university of which you are studying.

a lot of schools here are "commuter" schools (except CASE WSTRN) so what goes for Westsiders isnt applicable for Eastsiders, etc...
It's not a particular school I'm researching, just the atmosphere and lifestyles of college students in Cleveland!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,184,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARapaport86 View Post
You really dont want to go to college in cleveland. If you want a real college experience you need to go to OSU, Miami, or one of the other schools that are NOT in cleveland
This statement is just plain ridiculous.

Cleveland State University (the main public university in the city proper) has over 18,000 students. Close to 2,000 of them live on campus with more housing being built.

Case-Western Reserve University (the major private school in the city proper) has over 10,000 students with nearly half of them living on or near the main campus.

As it has already been described above, there i plenty for them to do in the immediate area all the way from University Circle through Downtown to the near West Side.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,738,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofuzzy View Post

Concert Venues: Cleveland has some great venues to choose from!
- If you're at CSU, Peabody's is right there on their campus. Peabody's is an intimate, local rock venue. It's my personal favorite.
- If you end up in Cleveland Heights, the Grog Shop is right on Coventry Road. I'm embarrassed to say I've never attended a concert there, but someday I will! They specialize in hardcore and indie bands.
- House of Blues obviously isn't local, but it's a nice venue and the place to go if you want to see big-name bands. It's in downtown Cleveland.
- Also, there are some wonderful little bars for local, live music. The Barking Spider in University Circle has live music every night of the week. House of Swing in Cleveland Heights has blues and jazz bands. I'm sure there are other places, but these two are my favorites.

I hope this helps!
How could you mention all those and NOT mention the Beachland Ballroom??

The Beachland Ballroom

Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 AM

126 posts, read 339,458 times
I thought about mentioning the Beachland Ballroom, but I have zero information about that venue. I should really go sometime, but it seems so out of the way for me. I have a feeling I'm missing out, though.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM

16,557 posts, read 19,738,751 times
It's very far from me, too, but is my favorite place for a show.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM

420 posts, read 1,043,400 times
Default Well worth it

I have seen a few shows there , very good atmosphere !
Now on a side note at least it's in the same City Driving from
Near West Cleveland it seems far ,let alone further West.
Makes one think this is still Cleveland , are we there yet ?
Well worth the effort to see this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's very far from me, too, but is my favorite place for a show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland