Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:44 PM

77 posts, read 440,532 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm 24-Male. I live in Los Angles Area.
First off- this question applies to Ohio, I just started looking.
But am trying to figure out if I should consider Cleveland

My question is do you guys have Any sort of Natural Disasters in OH? What about Cleveland?

Do you guys have Tornadoes? Floods? Earthquakes? Hurricanes?

I live in California, I guess C.A. is on that Falt line- which is one reason I am looking.

By the way- I want to live in a beautiful home, in a really nice neighborhood- surrounded by nice neighborhoods- full of nice neighbors

please tell me-
*Do you guys have any sort of natural disasters? if so what kind?

*Do you have Tornadoes?

*Does it Flood?
*Earth Quakes? Hurricanes?

*Is there a Drug Problem?

*How are the people there? are they nice?

*Is it a good place to raise a family?
I'm not married yet. I am so looking forward to getting Married & having Kids. Is it a good place to raise a family?

And Do you Like it There???? BE HONEST!!
If you must, write me a direct message!

So I welcome you- SAY WHAT YOU FEEL! Please! Tell Me!
This is my LIFE!!! Please, Sincerely! I am asking you to take a moment, be as honest & as helpful as you can!

It can even be like, Tell me what you Like or Love!!! About Cleveland or OH or other areas out there. And Tell me what you don't like/Hate about OH/where you live.

If someone asked me about L.A. I can write a good couple pages why I don't like it.

Also, I've only lived here. My Whole life! I haven't traveled much. I visited WA when I was 6. And less then a year ago went to Vegas for the First time.

Is it fun by the way?
The only real thing I do regularly is Play Hockey. I play Hockey, & guitar.. And hang out w/Family & friends. That pretty much what I do with my free time.

And I don't Drink, Don't smoke weed, Don't smoke cigarettes etc..

Please! Take a moment, to reply to me. PLEASE! I Sincerely Reach out to you for your Advice, for your input.

I ask you, and hey- if you need to, Write my in box.

thank you Very Very much!

Truly Sincerely,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Tornadoes -- Yes, but they usually strike in the more rural areas outside the city. They generally don't come into the city itself, but there can be rare exceptions... my dad told me about the tornado of 1953 that destroyed parts of his inner-city neighborhood.

More common than actual tornadoes are damaging wind storms that can uproot trees, leave branches and debris all over the place, cause power outages, sometimes cause some property damage... but it's not like it's an everyday occurrence. Far from it.

Floods -- well, maybe if you live along a flood plain next to a river... otherwise they're not a big problem. In some neighborhoods you might get basements flooding after a heavy rainstorm... it pays to inquire before purchasing a house.

Earthquakes -- only minor ones, and then very infrequently... maybe one every five to ten years. The worst I remember was the 5.0 that struck on January 31, 1986. That one I actually felt, at my office building downtown, but it was no big deal. A portion of a roof collapsed in a shopping mall 20 miles east of the city, however.

Hurricanes -- No. Too far inland. You might from time to time get some residual rain from the very edge of a hurricane in its waning phase, but that's as far as it goes.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,502 times
Is there a Drug Problem?
drugs are everywhere..The problem is lot worst in the inner-city, which is where you want to stay away from

*How are the people there? are they nice?
The people of cleveland are very nice..Like I said, I'm coming back with my husband and two boys..I've lived in cleveland for 35 years. I've come across all kinds, but mostly very nice people

*Is it a good place to raise a family?
I'm not married yet. I am so looking forward to getting Married & having Kids. Is it a good place to raise a family?
I live in the Idaho/washington area. People say that this is a good place to raise kids..I told this is the worst place to raise kids because there is nothing to do here, lol....Cleveland is the best place to raise kids because there is sooo much to do and surburban school system puts a lot in education..CLeveland is a great place to have a family

And Do you Like it There???? BE HONEST!!
If you must, write me a direct message!
I didn't like cleveland until I left cleveland...I thought I could do better and the truth is I couldn't...This is by far a great place...HONESTLY
So I welcome you- SAY WHAT YOU FEEL! Please! Tell Me!
This is my LIFE!!! Please, Sincerely! I am asking you to take a moment, be as honest & as helpful as you can!

It can even be like, Tell me what you Like or Love!!! About Cleveland or OH or other areas out there. And Tell me what you don't like/Hate about OH/where you live.

If someone asked me about L.A. I can write a good couple pages why I don't like it.

Also, I've only lived here. My Whole life! I haven't traveled much. I visited WA when I was 6. And less then a year ago went to Vegas for the First time.

Is it fun by the way?
The only real thing I do regularly is Play Hockey. I play Hockey, & guitar.. And hang out w/Family & friends. That pretty much what I do with my free time.

And I don't Drink, Don't smoke weed, Don't smoke cigarettes etc..

Please! Take a moment, to reply to me. PLEASE! I Sincerely Reach out to you for your Advice, for your input.

I ask you, and hey- if you need to, Write my in box.

thank you Very Very much!

Truly Sincerely,

Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM

77 posts, read 440,532 times
Why did you leave Cleveland? what is bad about it?

And why did you leave California?

thank you!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM

708 posts, read 1,814,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
Why did you leave Cleveland? what is bad about it?

And why did you leave California?

thank you!
I left cleveland because my job took me away to california at the time...I met my husband two years later in california and got laid off from my job..He was from here in idaho and he asked me how would I feel about living here...I said I'll try it...Well, what can I say, lol.....Im ready to go back to cleveland....

Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
-Is there a drug problem?

Yes, I'd say so.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Honestly, in Cleveland/NE Ohio I've never experienced anything near (what I'd call) a "natural disaster". The closest thing is probably the large snowfalls (like right now) but they do little to no damage, they're more of an annoyance. The rest of Ohio isn't much different, although I hear of many more tornadoes and floods in the western, southern, and central parts of Ohio.

Tornadoes? Very rarely and the ones we do get are usually minor and in the outer rural areas. Off the top I can't remember any tornadoes recently that hit an urban area, the only memorable one to me was the one that nearly hit Cedar Point in 1997 I believe.
Floods? Not really. That's only a problem to certain sections of certain neighborhoods in the area when it rains a lot in a short time period. I remember a few years back there was a huge flooding in NW Ohio where whole towns were under water, I can't remember anything happening like that in NE Ohio.
Earthquakes? Not really and they are not a problem here. Every once in a while we get a small earth quake that most people don't even feel.
Hurricanes? Not at all. We're too inland (from the gulf & Oceans) for that. The only thing we get from Hurricanes is maybe left over rain.

Is there a drug problem? Yes, but there's a drug problem in nearly every part of the country, and probably world. Not much more than the average area has.
Is it a good place to raise a family? Yeah I would definitely say it is, not every part but most parts are.
How are the people there? are they nice? The people here are like most other places. I would say they're nice in general, well most people.
Do I like it here? Yeah I definitely like it here, Cleveland/NE Ohio has just about anything you can ask for. I've said this many times before and the only downside to me is the weather, which is more personal opinion. Most of the year is too cold and cloudy for my liking, and it snows a little too much, but May-September weather is nearly perfect IMO, maybe add some April and October to that too. It's a trade off though because the lake makes up for it for me, and it puts things in perspective because I can really appreciate the good weather.
Is is fun? I would say so. Between Lake Erie, Cedar Point, all the concert and show venues, all the museums, nightclubs and bars, sports, metroparks there's a ton of things to do. It more depends on whether you make it fun and take advantage of everything here. Even in the winter all the indoor stuff is still here, and for outdoor there's still the parks plus we have skiing places, snowboarding, sledding, definitely ice skating and hockey.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
The local economy is a disaster, but not sure you'd call it a "natural disaster."

A few decades ago the governor called in the National Guard. That was an example of an unnecessary disaster.

On some days my wife's hair is a natural disaster.

Just sayin.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM

458 posts, read 1,222,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
The local economy is a disaster, but not sure you'd call it a "natural disaster."
If you would call Cleveland having the 7th hottest job market and unemployment below the national average, then yes, the local economy is a disaster

Not that the economy is great, but is not doing too bad compared to many other parts of the nation.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee to the Cleve View Post
If you would call Cleveland having the 7th hottest job market and unemployment below the national average, then yes, the local economy is a disaster

Not that the economy is great, but is not doing too bad compared to many other parts of the nation.
This is good to hear. I have to admit that I have not been following economic statistics. My wife works with poor families in the metro area, so I suppose this makes everything seem perpetually bad.

I wonder if this economic upturn will continue now that we have elected a Republican governor, etc.? I will be interested in seeing how that goes. The loss of the mass transit inititive does not seem like a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: