Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times

Advertisements

Here's an article about how both Obama and the Republicans are trying to take credit for Cleveland's resurgence:

Who gets credit for Cleveland?

Its hard-luck story is now a tale of optimism and renewal. President Obama comes to town to sell the idea of public investment. Republicans say cutting spending and taxes will help the city turn the page.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-cleveland-20110222,0,3758618,full.story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Here's an article about how both Obama and the Republicans are trying to take credit for Cleveland's resurgence:

Who gets credit for Cleveland?

Its hard-luck story is now a tale of optimism and renewal. President Obama comes to town to sell the idea of public investment. Republicans say cutting spending and taxes will help the city turn the page.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-cleveland-20110222,0,3758618,full.story
Interesting article. I'm not from Cleveland so I have no personal stake. I guess Cleveland should ask the question, what period has been better for the city, 2001-2009, or has the city gotten better over the past two years?
I'd be interested to know how native Clevelanders feel about the past decade.

I guess the article is trying to be non-partisan. But outside of the usual rhetoric of cutting taxes for the wealthy to create jobs, the Republican side didn't present any tangible evidence that this strategy has worked or will ever work for Cleveland.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Definitely the past two years.

- Over $2 billion in new construction has started
- Cleveland led the nation in manufacturing growth a few months out of the year
- Cleveland's property values have increased including leading the nation a few quarters percentage-wise
- Announced last week, Cleveland has just added another Fortune 500 company:

Cleveland Cliffs Natural Resources just reported a 255% increase of net income for the 4th quarter, putting them at $4.7 Billion in revenue on the year.
This will push them into being a Fortune 500 company.

Cliffs Natural Resources reports sizzling 2010 results
By Alison Grant, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cliffs Natural Resources reported sizzling 2010 results Wednesday -- revenues that doubled to $4.7 billion and net income of more than $1 billion.

Demand from China for the Cleveland company's iron ore and coal drove the boom.

Cliffs Natural Resources reports sizzling 2010 results | cleveland.com

Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Interesting article. I'm not from Cleveland so I have no personal stake. I guess Cleveland should ask the question, what period has been better for the city, 2001-2009, or has the city gotten better over the past two years?
I'd be interested to know how native Clevelanders feel about the past decade.
Any advancements being made in this city have nothing to do with the Bush Administration or his 6 year, lockstep congress. This much I can tell you.

Quote:
I guess the article is trying to be non-partisan. But outside of the usual rhetoric of cutting taxes for the wealthy to create jobs, the Republican side didn't present any tangible evidence that this strategy has worked or will ever work for Cleveland.
That's because there is no evidence, tangible or otherwise. This area has watched the right's national and state policies contribute to the erosion of our economic base for years. Now that we're on a perceived upswing, they want to take credit. How typical. This isn't to say that the left is any prize (NAFTA was widely bi-partisan), but the mere thought of anyone on the right taking any sort of credit is simply nauseating. They've been trying to gut this place for years.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:40 PM

Regardless of Political beliefs, I find it interesting both sides are coming out trying to take credit. I'm sure it was some sort of combination of programs from the past few years.

Anyone notice how it's been in the past 1.5-2 years everything has happened, with some of the biggest spikes of growth and improvement after LBJ left? it's almost like Clevelanders made a a collective F*** You to him and everyone after the whole fiasco.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 PM

142 posts, read 355,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Regardless of Political beliefs, I find it interesting both sides are coming out trying to take credit. I'm sure it was some sort of combination of programs from the past few years.

Anyone notice how it's been in the past 1.5-2 years everything has happened, with some of the biggest spikes of growth and improvement after LBJ left? it's almost like Clevelanders made a a collective F*** You to him and everyone after the whole fiasco.
Well to be fair, most of the "biggest spikes of growth and improvement" were planned when he was still here, they just didn't actually happen until he had left mainly because of the economy. Despite the issues with his character, personality, etc, it sure would've been nice to be able to watch a sports team contend for the next 5+ years while others are struggling. It's obviously not "necessary" for the resurgence of the city, but it'd definitely help to have an attraction that can get 20k+ people to go downtown 40+ nights a year.

Anyway, I don't really care who takes credit. I just want to see more progress, specifically with the bleeding population.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
I don't like partisan politics or how that article made it out to be a black or white issue. Cleveland's government had been corrupt and also had the reputation of being anti-business. That being said Cleveland also needs infrastructure improvements to make it a livable city and attract talent.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 PM

The only reason I care about who takes credit is because of the perception. This city's primary issues began with the loss of good manufacturing jobs to overseas interests. This cannot be forgotten. The corporatists are at the root of it. Cutting taxes for them simply puts more money in their pockets as long as they're allowed to indiscriminantly ship jobs overseas. Attach a tax cut to job/salary creation quotas and I'll be all for it. Until then, it's nothing but another corporate transfer payment that they won't be spending here.

As for LeBrick... he never had a stake in what happened here. He was a nice sideshow. He's just another in the long line of over-coddled punk athletes looking to feather their own nest. He has destroyed any hopes of building his own legacy. He's now 2nd banana to Dwyane Wade. They'll probably win once or twice, but it won't bear much significance in Souf Beach where they can't even fill the arena with a 0.732 team on the floor. The corporations bought up the tickets, but they're lucky to have 15,000 on any given night.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:49 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
I take issue with the premise of the article that we've seen some sort of "resurgence." I think we've maybe treaded water, but this city still needs a lot of work. And more than any Federal policies, I think it's going to be state and local policies that dictate our future success.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 AM

We haven't as much seen it as we have seen the makings of it. Even the most pessimistic have to at least admit that the amount of committed development around the area is pretty impressive. The politcos see it and are jockeying for position to seize as much credit as possible. The fact that the John Kasich's of Ohio's political landscape are some of these people makes me a bit nauseous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland