Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:48 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Howdy yinz all! (Yes, I really did just merge two different regional dialects into one three-word phrase!)

Anyhow, I've been working myself ragged since moving to Pittsburgh from Virginia late last year, and now that I found myself a better half I'd like to take us to Cleveland for a weekend getaway. He was in town last week for the Lady Gaga concert at the Quicken Loans Arena, but he didn't have any time really to do any sight-seeing.

I've personally always wanted to see the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Otherwise I'm very open-minded to "must-see" suggestions from locals. I went on YouTube and looked at both of the Hastily-Made Cleveland Tourism Videos, and while I realize they were made for satirical purposes I thoroughly enjoyed getting a brief glimpse of some of the offerings of your fair city.

Some things I'd like to hear about?

-Good unique MID-RANGE restaurants (i.e. casual dress, non-linen tablecloths, NON-chain)

-Museums

-Parks (walking, exploring, hiking)

-Historic architectural/heritage tourism areas

-Places to stay---an LGBT-friendly bed & breakfast would be great

-Great annual events

-Lake Erie happenings (public beaches?)

-Drew Carey Show sites?

I'm all ears (errr...eyes?) I vacationed in Cincinnati a few years ago as I visited a friend during her internship, and I loved my experience there. I'm hoping Cleveland will prove to be just as wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 AM

8 posts, read 20,903 times
I've lived in the Little Italy area for the past couple years, and it is by far my favorite part of the city. We have lots of restaurants of all budgets, most serve great food and none of them are chains. We have a small B&B that has recently been renovated, but I haven't stayed there. Lake View Cemetary is right around the corner, and makes for a nice walk. If you go up to the top near the Garfield Memorial, you can see all the way to the lake on a clear day. Downtown and the Rock Hall are about 20 minutes away, depending on traffic. University Circle is a short walk from Little Italy (walk during the day, drive at night). It houses the popular museums, Art, Natural History, and the Western Reserve. The area is quite scenic on a clear day. The cultural gardens along MLK towards the lake is also a nice two mile walk (another day time only activity).

There is nothing to see on Lake Erie. We don't utilize our waterfront like you guys do. Tremont is also a cool area with little independent restaurants and shops, much like Little Italy. The Warehouse district is where everyone gets drunk after they cash their paychecks, so it is always an interesting time. Strip clubs are down in the Flats, and some of them are actually pretty nice.

I'm not sure of any Drew Carey show sites, but the Christmas Story house is in Tremont. Also, keep your expectations low on the Rock Hall. It's cool, but not the earth shattering venue you would hope it to be.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 AM

19 posts, read 39,713 times
You should definately check out Sokolowski's in Tremont. Great home made food! Cheap! Also maybe the Zoo and Rainforest, the Natural History Museum, the Art Museum, the Botanical Gardens, Little Italy, The Chocolate Bar and the Arcade.

Dining | The Arcade

Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Wait... hubby came to see Lady Gaga? You didn't? Really?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspoker View Post
I've lived in the Little Italy area for the past couple years, and it is by far my favorite part of the city. We have lots of restaurants of all budgets, most serve great food and none of them are chains.
That sounds quite ideal, actually. We have a "Little Italy" here in Pittsburgh, too (Bloomfield), which has a main drag lined with brick buildings with many mom-and-pop Italian restaurants. He and I both love our fettuccine alfredo, so I'm sure we'll be hitting up at least one of these eateries. Any one in particular you like more than the others?

Quote:
We have a small B&B that has recently been renovated, but I haven't stayed there.
Are you talking about the Baricelli Inn? At $150/night it's at the top of my budget, but if the location really is as ideal as you make it out to sound I wouldn't mind the splurge.

Baricelli Inn - Little Italy

Quote:
Lake View Cemetary is right around the corner, and makes for a nice walk. If you go up to the top near the Garfield Memorial, you can see all the way to the lake on a clear day.
I enjoy walking through old cemeteries and seeing the ornate memorials, tombstones, and crypts, along with ogling the different dates and epitaphs, so this should be something we could check out.

Quote:
Downtown and the Rock Hall are about 20 minutes away, depending on traffic.
Since I'm assuming parking Downtown would be as scant (and expensive) as it is here in Pittsburgh is there bus service between Little Italy and Downtown? I'm assuming there would be if this is a major city neighborhood. From online mapping I'm looking at it appears as if the RTA has stops on Euclid Avenue in Little Italy and on Adelbert Road in University Circle for a rail line that leads Downtown. I'll have to look into that.

Quote:
University Circle is a short walk from Little Italy (walk during the day, drive at night). It houses the popular museums, Art, Natural History, and the Western Reserve. The area is quite scenic on a clear day. The cultural gardens along MLK towards the lake is also a nice two mile walk (another day time only activity).
This sounds a lot like the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, which is home to Pitt, CMU, Carlow, the Phipps Conservatory, and the Carnegie Museums. The cultural gardens sound nice. Since we also have art and natural history museums here in Pittsburgh I'm not sure if I'd check out either one in Cleveland, but the Western Reserve sounds different. I see you referencing "day-time only" in a lot of parentheses; is crime really that much of a concern in these parts of Cleveland after dark? In Pittsburgh we have our "hoods", too, such as Homewood and the Hill District, but they are largely removed from the touristy areas.

Quote:
There is nothing to see on Lake Erie. We don't utilize our waterfront like you guys do.
That's a shame. I've always wanted to drive up to Erie to visit Presque Isle State Park, and I was hoping Cleveland utilized its lakefront in the same way.

Quote:
Tremont is also a cool area with little independent restaurants and shops, much like Little Italy.
Can you give me an idea on as to where Tremont is in relation to Downtown, Little Italy, and University Circle? I'm looking on a map and can't seem to locate it.

Quote:
The Warehouse district is where everyone gets drunk after they cash their paychecks, so it is always an interesting time. Strip clubs are down in the Flats, and some of them are actually pretty nice.
This sounds like Pittsburgh's Strip District---warehouses, lofts, bars, clubs, etc. near Downtown. Do the Flats really look like a "Scooby Doo ghost town", as was referenced in the YouTube tourism promotion video? LOL! We may consider hitting up a bar here.

Quote:
I'm not sure of any Drew Carey show sites, but the Christmas Story house is in Tremont.
The Christmas Story house is definitely worth a visit to me.

Quote:
Also, keep your expectations low on the Rock Hall. It's cool, but not the earth shattering venue you would hope it to be.
Given how much everyone I know seems to bash Cleveland my overally expectations for your city are low. I'm arriving expecting to be underwhelmed so I can be pleasantly surprised instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGal View Post
You should definately check out Sokolowski's in Tremont. Great home made food! Cheap! Also maybe the Zoo and Rainforest, the Natural History Museum, the Art Museum, the Botanical Gardens, Little Italy, The Chocolate Bar and the Arcade.

Dining | The Arcade
Thanks for that helpful link! "Cheap" in front of food (or anything for that matter) is always good for a dude on a budget! LOL! Chocolate Bar, you say? Sounds promising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Wait... hubby came to see Lady Gaga? You didn't? Really?
He bought the tickets when we first started seeing each other. He's a die-hard obsessive fan whereas I will listen to her music but can't really become a "little monster".

Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 AM

420 posts, read 1,042,610 times
Default You are in luck

Every thing you asked for you will find in CLEVELAND !

My list not in any order would be :
Rock and Roll because you want to .
Drew Carey neighborhood is old Brooklyn , true to Hollywood not
to many real sites filmed here , but you can find the original exterior
of the bar at Memphis Avenue and Fulton Road , still sports a pic.
of the cast. A little further south on Biddulph and Fulton Road is
the high School he attended, James Ford Rhodes (and me) one of the
highest performing Cleveland Schools in the district. He still maintains
the family home .The start of his show was filmed along the east banks of
the Cuyahoga River ( Cleveland Rocks).
Go North on Fulton Road you will find The Cleveland Zoo, check out the
brand new African Elephant exhibit a 25 million improvement.And the
rain forest a must see (even if you have to pay extra).

Now find your way to Pearl Road north , ( West 25th St.)
25th & Lorain Avenue is the Westside Market in Ohio City Neighborhood
and many eateries with a casual feel .

Need rest ? You checked into Stone Gables B&B in Ohio City West 38th & Franklin Blvd .( Many grand old homes and is in a historic discrict)
where Richard made sure to ansewer all your questions.

All rested up, you find your way to Gordan Square Arts District , good
eats , and you can see a play at Cleveland Public Theatre or a current
movie at the Capital Theatre . You will also find The "Center" here !
Then check out Edgewater Park (public beach) if the tunnel were not under reconstruction you could walk to the beach from Gordon Square
I could go on and on , but that would take many more pages .
Any questions on these or other areas I am sure me or others
will respond . HAVE FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Howdy yinz all! (Yes, I really did just merge two different regional dialects into one three-word phrase!)

-Good unique MID-RANGE restaurants (i.e. casual dress, non-linen tablecloths, NON-chain)

-Museums

-Parks (walking, exploring, hiking)

-Historic architectural/heritage tourism areas

-Places to stay---an LGBT-friendly bed & breakfast would be great

-Lake Erie happenings (public beaches?)

-Drew Carey Show sites?

I'm all ears (errr...eyes?) I vacationed in Cincinnati a few years ago as I visited a friend during her internship, and I loved my experience there. I'm hoping Cleveland will prove to be just as wonderful!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Make sure you take pictures and share your experience w/the Pittsburghers, because i'm positive most of the people on the Pittsburgh forum either have never been to Cleveland or haven't been in about 30 years.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Make sure you take pictures and share your experience w/the Pittsburghers, because i'm positive most of the people on the Pittsburgh forum either have never been to Cleveland or haven't been in about 30 years.
I'd presume that's vice-versa as well. It's shocking, actually, since some are talking about an eventual "Cleveburgh" or "Pittsland" megalopolis when the smaller cities and towns between the two cities all sprawl themselves together into a big blob. I've always been curious about Cleveland, and now that I'm only about 2.5 hours away, if even that, there's no excuse for me to not check it out. I've spent a good portion of my day off today zooming around Cleveland on satellite mapping sites to see what it looks like.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
I have an off-the-wall suggestion for a place to stay, but the regulars on this forum will have to comment on this. I have not lived in Cleveland since 1974, so things may have changed.

Is the Alcazar Hotel still in Cleveland Hts.? If so, it's just the sort of place you would love. Consider visiting it or even staying there. It's a very old, interesting piece of architecture with a huge amount of character. Even back in the 70s it was so old you could sit in the lobby and almost feel the ghosts of guests from the past. As I recall it's also conveniently located to University Circle and Coventry.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM

306 posts, read 821,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I have an off-the-wall suggestion for a place to stay, but the regulars on this forum will have to comment on this. I have not lived in Cleveland since 1974, so things may have changed.

Is the Alcazar Hotel still in Cleveland Hts.? If so, it's just the sort of place you would love. Consider visiting it or even staying there. It's a very old, interesting piece of architecture with a huge amount of character. Even back in the 70s it was so old you could sit in the lobby and almost feel the ghosts of guests from the past. As I recall it's also conveniently located to University Circle and Coventry.
The Alcazar is still around but it is primarily used for senior living. They do open some rooms for lodging though and I know it's been used for temporary corporate living. It's not a bad idea, and I'm betting it is cheaper than Baricelli. It's a little bit of a hike to walk from there to UC but I've done it, and it's not too bad in the summer as long as you dont mind going up and down Cedar Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland