Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 PM

8 posts, read 31,984 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Cleveland area from out of the country. Husband's worksite would be in Euclid. I need to be near an airport. No children and do not worry about schools. What place is artsy, quick hop to airport and my husband can get to work readily? Ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,280 times
It partly depends on your housing budget.
Eucid is cheap, but I know well its decline.
South Euclid is a better bet.

But if you sold a home in a good market, you can do
much better, since home prices are low in the area.

Lake County is where I'm looking (but it's snowy there).
Solon, Strongsville, Westlake, Rocky River, and outer-ring
burbs are good enough, except less so in the near-southeast
and near-south in Cuyahoga county.

It's good to be near transit lines if gas goes to 5 bucks or more.
See if you can find price data for burbs in Cuyahoga County.
Those charts will give you a foundation for where a
neighborhood is going.

If you are into hills and snow, Geauga county is your trip.
If forest is your thing, look at Summit County.
But the future indicates living close to work.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,280 times
I was responding to a different post.
If work is in Euclid (LE?), then Lake County is good.

But the main airport is across town.
The nearby Cuyahoga airport is business jets.
Lake County's airport is private props.

Artsy ?
Maybe distant Chagrin Falls, or closer Coventry-Mayfield
(which is not far from the Circle-area Playhouse, CIM,
CAM, CNHM, CO, CWRU, and downtown's Playhouse Square).

But you won't find Soho, Harlem, NOLA, or the Village.
Waite Hill has wealth, so they must have their circles,
but not folksy. Orange-Beachwood-Pepper area is
a maybe, but a bit bland.

Thankfully, the Net can be 'art'.
The art of discovery and social change is my bag.
And the Net is the killer app if used well.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:12 PM

61 posts, read 234,270 times
I have friends who resides in the euclid area and they just love what it has to offer.
in the mornings they take advantage of running along the lakefront of erie, being able to walk to the business district w/o having to drive,meeting nice neighbors, can walk their dogs all hours of the day and night w/o having any major fears. I like the area for myself but i am an artsy,cultured person so shaker or cleveland heights would probably do it for me.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 15,214 times
I just moved out to Euclid about 4 months ago....BIGGEST mistake of my life! My 12 yr old was robbed, his 14 yr old cousin robbed on the way home from school (right next to the police station!). They've allowed the schools to turn into inner-city madhouses! All 3 of my kids have been attacked multiple times in school. The East side by Lloyd Rd (where I live), is a bit better than the west side of Euclid, not much though. Overcharge drastically on property taxes.... schools should be 1000 times better considering the amount they receive from property taxes, and the $200 initial & $75 a yr fee on EVERY apartment or rental home in Eulid!! Where's the money going??? Certainly NOT in the schools or youth recreation that's for sure!! No way you can resell a house in Euclid because of all the zillions of foreclosures! Quality of community life is in the toilet! Save your $$$$ and RUN AWAY from EUCLID!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:16 PM

211 posts, read 978,811 times
I've lived on both the east and west sides of town; both have pro's and con's. My neighbor was born and raised in Euclid, but now lives on the west side. Her parents just sold their house after living there for 35 years. She said she'd *never* move back to Euclid and the city is *not* what it was. Lot's of racial tension and the crime rate is getting high.

I really believe you must have been referring to South Euclid . . . South Euclid and Lyndhurst are the same school system. Both are nice and diverse areas. I love those areas. Although, I'd say over the past 5 years the crime rate is starting to move up in S. Euclid.

Mayfield Heights is very nice, and you can get a decent house at an affordable price. It's safe, and near everything. Hospital is right around the corner.

Now you mentioned being near the airport . . . got news for you . . . the airport is on the west side of town. Depending on when you drive to the west side *from* the east side, it can take you anywhere from 35 minutes to one hour. Again, this depends on rush hour. That was the most frustrating thing for me when traveling on business and living on the east side.

West side has some very nice communities too. However, if your husband is working in Euclid, I really think that drive would get old . . . especially in the winter. Don't get me wrong, people do it every day. It's all preference.

Artsy . . . definitely the east side. It is much more cultural and artsy than the west side. The west side is more blue-collar. All the museums, little Italy, and stuff are on the east side, but in very close proximaty to the downtown area. Mayfield Road (runs all the way down there) is nice to have as an alternative route to the freeways. Our art museum is AMAZING! Little Italy . . . there are hardly words! Another AMAZING area. Love them!

Hope this helps:-)

Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,215 times
i live in euclid. it isnt a horrible place to live but i agree it is goin down hill.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:13 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
i wouldnt live in euclid even if the house was free... euclid is the new east cleveland.. just ask around

Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i wouldnt live in euclid even if the house was free... euclid is the new east cleveland.. just ask around
Euclid is nowhere near as bad as East Cleveland.Im from there I should know.Im not going to lie theres definetly some dicey areas of Euclid,but its not like your going to get shot just walking into Euclid.Im not living in Euclid right now,but I know alot of people from there.They say the area has declined,but I haven't heard anyone say that Euclid is like East Cleveland.I was just back visiting Euclid.I never felt threatened when I was living there,and I never felt threatened when I was back visiting there.The crime rate for Euclid in 2006 was 312.7,which I think is below the national average.There was no homicides in Euclid in 2006,and in 2007 there was only 3.Euclid also doesn't have all the boarded up buissness and houses like East Cleveland.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:35 AM

8 posts, read 31,984 times
Hello,
Thank you all so very much for your replies. Sorry for the delay.We currently are expats on assignment in Shanghai, China (hence the 'iffiness of internet and email @ times) & we are moving to Cleveland...a corp apartment for a while.
We want to be between the airport and Euclid. Preferably near universities......

What are the warehouse district apartments like?
What would be the best to look for in Little Italy?

Thank you again for all of your help.

Cheers,
Phyllis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland