Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,138 times

Advertisements

I have heard for a long time that Clevelanders have a huge inferiority complex. I've read a lot of negative comments on cleveland.com but I read more 50/50 comments here on City-Data. Some of them are true, but there are some that's ignorant and BS. So, I ask everybody where does the inferiority complex comes from? Weather? Sports? National/local media? Politicians? Lack of civic pride in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,871 times
I think it comes from the fact that Cleveland was once a much more prominent city on the national scale and has fallen from that level. The sports disappointments are not the reason, but they seem to constantly add fuel to the fire.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM

273 posts, read 532,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I have heard for a long time that Clevelanders have a huge inferiority complex. I've read a lot of negative comments on cleveland.com but I read more 50/50 comments here on City-Data. Some of them are true, but there are some that's ignorant and BS. So, I ask everybody where does the inferiority complex comes from? Weather? Sports? National/local media? Politicians? Lack of civic pride in general?
Pretty much a combination of all the above. I moved to Cleveland recently, about 3 months ago and my time has been nothing but depressing and boring so far. There are very few things to do around here and most people here are those that are local to the city i.e., born and brought up here. The city lacks diversity and most people stick to friends they grew up with so it's almost impossible for a new comer to find people to make friends with or hang out with. I have lived in various cities in US but Cleveland ranks dead last in terms of new comer acceptance, sports teams, weather, etc.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunseenguest View Post
Pretty much a combination of all the above. I moved to Cleveland recently, about 3 months ago and my time has been nothing but depressing and boring so far. There are very few things to do around here and most people here are those that are local to the city i.e., born and brought up here. The city lacks diversity and most people stick to friends they grew up with so it's almost impossible for a new comer to find people to make friends with or hang out with. I have lived in various cities in US but Cleveland ranks dead last in terms of new comer acceptance, sports teams, weather, etc.
Where did you move from? What have done there so far? Cleveland is no NYC, San Francisco, or Chicago; but there are certainly enough things to do there. It's not as bad as you say it is and it's easy on the wallet.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunseenguest View Post
Seriously, there is so much to do here, if you're not finding things to do, you're not looking at all. There are at least 3 festivals of some kind every month, and more in the summer (e.g. Film Festival past 2 weekends, Jazz Fest this weekend). There are also plays, concerts, sporting events, volunteering events, lectures. The art museum puts on a great event for 20-somethings every month called Mixx. The only people who say there is nothing to do in Cleveland are the ones who expect the fun to find them, rather than actively seeking the fun themselves.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Hate to say it, but only boring people are bored in Cleveland. I'm afraid your problem goes much deeper than you think...

Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,192 times
That's silly. If the guy is bored in Cleveland, that doesn't mean he's a boring person.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,837,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
If the guy is bored in Cleveland, that doesn't mean he's a boring person.
I'd go more with lazy.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
That's silly. If the guy is bored in Cleveland, that doesn't mean he's a boring person.
I really think if you're bored in any city, you're a boring person. Not specific to Cleveland. But come on, if you don't find anything interesting in a city like Cleveland, you're pretty damn boring.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,394,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Back on topic...I would have to agree that weather and sports disappointments are factors, possibly other negative events i.e. the city going in default under Kucinich, river catching fire, The Northeast Blackout of 2003 intitiated in Cleveland(Eastlake), our Cleveland Browns leaving town contribute to the complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland