Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 02:35 PM

46 posts, read 71,995 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Anyone out there have any experience with the Fries and Schuele building in Ohio City?

Thanks & go Browns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM

236 posts, read 461,868 times
Default Wow!

No I have not been there before... I just looked them up! Those condos look fantastic!!!!!!!!

The Fries and Schuele Building - Interior Photos

Old 10-04-2011, 02:54 PM

46 posts, read 71,995 times
I love the location. Could sip on some Christmas Ale fresh from GLBC all night long and then stumble home!!

Old 10-04-2011, 03:01 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTrail23 View Post
I love the location. Could sip on some Christmas Ale fresh from GLBC all night long and then stumble home!!

And, Ohio City has been on the up and up for the past two years. There's currently a parking study being financed because lack parking has finally become an issue. Not to mention, the remaining store fronts are all filling in, including some GREAT additions! (Market Garden Brewery, Mitchell's Ice Cream, Crop Bistro, etc)

Old 10-04-2011, 06:01 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTrail23 View Post
Anyone out there have any experience with the Fries and Schuele building in Ohio City?
Only experience I have with it is childhood memories of my parents and grandmother taking me there to shop for clothes when it was still a department store. I grew up in Ohio City.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,524 times
My aunt was the bookkeeper at Fries & Schuele for over 50 years. She worked on the fifth floor. My mom would take us to have lunch with her in the store's lunchroom, which I am sure was just a back room. The woman running the elevator would let me run it and the lady at the switchboard would let me answer calls. It was heartbreaking when the building caught on fire. [email]mlkonowal@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times
For what are they selling? Tried the search, but it came up empty. Seems like an idea location with a tax abatement- $1400 per year!

Old 01-23-2015, 02:06 PM

39 posts, read 66,841 times
Default Former Fries & Schuele Resident

OP, I lived in the Fries & Schuele Building during my first stint in Cleveland, 2004-2006. Back then, the units in the original department store were rented as apartments and the new units built along West 25th Street and Carroll Avenue were sold as condominiums (including townhouses). Eric Wobser and his wife rented a unit down the hall from me; Grady Sizemore had a condo on the same floor.

Fries & Schuele is a fantastic building in a phenomenal location. When I lived there, Bier Markt and Bar Cento had not yet opened in the building but I was car-free and walked to work at the Cleveland Environmental Center, corner of Fulton and Lorain Avenues. I also walked to Dave's, West Side Market, the restaurants along West 25th Street and Bridge Avenue and St. Malachi Church. In the past eight years, the neighborhood has gentrified further with much more retail activity and development, especially north from the Market along West 25th Street and west along Lorain Avenue. Both the units I rented were on the top (5th) floor and faced the courtyard, with views of Lake Erie just over Lutheran Hospital. I rarely used my parking space in the garage, except when I occasionally rented the CityWheels car kept in a space near the old Near West Theatre at West 38th Street and Bridge Avenue. I was Ryan McKenzie's biggest customer!

The apartments were converted into condominium units sometime during my five-year tenure in Washington, DC (2006-2011). When I returned to Northeast Ohio, I rented in Akron for two years to be near my job, then revisited Fries & Schuele units for purchase when I transferred to a downtown office in Fall 2013. However, I really wanted a three-bedroom, two-bath home and the larger Fries & Schuele units were priced outside my budget. That location is definitely one of the best in the region, with so much available right outside your doorstep and convenient access to buses and the rapid for shopping, entertainment, employment and the airport.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-26-2015, 01:30 AM

64 posts, read 81,431 times
I'm so old I remember it when it was the Fries and Shuele store, pronounced Freeze and Shee-lee for those who might be wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland