Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 06:15 PM

101 posts, read 204,185 times

Advertisements

I apologize if there has already been a post about this but Cleveland has an abundance of really great architecture in churches, synagogues, etc. I know there is more than this but here are some.

The Temple at University Circle
Communion of Saints/St. Anne
Holy Rosary
St. John Cathedral (Catholic)
St. John Cantius
St. Stephen
St. Patrick - Bridge Avenue
St. Paul Shrine
Church of the Covenant University Circle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 02:07 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,027,603 times
St. Stanislaus (65th near Fleet)
St. Michael the Archangel (Scranton + Clark)
St. Theodosius (onion dome on Starkweather)
Epworth-Euclid (oil can at Chester + 105th)
Old Stone Church (Public Square)
Immaculate Conception (Superior + 41st)

I'm sure there are tons more historic churches. Some awesome old ones on Euclid or Carnegie, can't remember exactly what or where.

I was looking for one I visited on the east side, couldn't find it, but I came across the "4 Real Church!" 7211 Woodland Ave. It's a beautiful building.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:01 AM

17 posts, read 30,164 times
Here are a few churches that started life as synagogues, in orcer west to eastward:
•Triedstone Baptist Church, formerly Congregation Oheb Zedek, Community College Avenue near E 38th
• Friendship Baptist Church, formerly Tifereth Israel (aka The Temple, later on 105 @ U Circle), E 55 and Central
•Shiloh Baptist Church, formerly B,nai Jeshurun (aka Temple on the Heights) E 55 and Scovill
•Sardis Baptist Church, formerly Ohave Emunah Anshe Russia (defunct) Cedar Av near E 70
Liberty Hill Baptist Church, formerly Anshe Chesed (aka the Euclid Av Temple, later to move and become Fairmount Temple) Euclid Av at E 83. A striking domed building with exquisite brickwork, by Lehman and Schmidt. It has Tiffany windows, I am told (never been inside)

Then there's Glenville. Betweem Superior and St Clair, E 105 St, Parkwood Dr, and Linn Dr were the heart of an amazing Jewish community. Most striking is Cory Methodist Church, on 105 taking the entire block between Drexel and Grantwood. It was a synagogue and community center, with a gym, ballroom, and classrooms. It fills similar functions to this day. It existed as the Jewish Center a scant 20 years, built in 1922 and put up for sale in 1942, purchased by Cory in about 1944, who has occupied it ever since. Oheb Zedek moved from E38 (see above) to Parkwood and Massie, and moved again, merging with several other conregations to become the Taylor Road Synagogue in Cleveland Heights. There's a domed building at Earl and Parkwood that is eye-catching. These are but a few of the Glenville sites.

I could go on and on. 17 or 18 years ago I looked in old city directories in the library for addresses of Synagogues, then matched them to Churches in the yellow pages (this was before internet and Google maps). The I photographed them (on film!). In some cases I was able to go inside.

There was also a Jewish presence around Kinsman Road, but there are few buildings left, none distinguished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland