Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 AM

42 posts, read 289,550 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Cleveland, lived in Lakewood from my birth until moving for Grad School. 24 wonderful years! Since then I have lived in Akron (2yrs), Philadelphia, Columbus (2 years), and for the past year Washington, DC. It wasn't until I moved here to DC, that i really learned there were things only Cleveland could give me. Here is a list!

1 - Watching the Browns at home on Sundays. Just isnt the same knowing everyone else around you is rooting for someone else.

2 - the Indians. We have the nationals here, but c'mon, national league? I have gone to Baltimore several times to see the O's, but nothing can replace the jake. (even if Camden DID replace the jake in major league 2)

3 - slow paced highways.

4 - lake erie.

5 - i cant believe i am saying this...... winter. The seasons down here are like a month behind, it has messed with my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 02:03 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browns47 View Post
I grew up in Cleveland, lived in Lakewood from my birth until moving for Grad School. 24 wonderful years! Since then I have lived in Akron (2yrs), Philadelphia, Columbus (2 years), and for the past year Washington, DC. It wasn't until I moved here to DC, that i really learned there were things only Cleveland could give me. Here is a list!

1 - Watching the Browns at home on Sundays. Just isnt the same knowing everyone else around you is rooting for someone else.

2 - the Indians. We have the nationals here, but c'mon, national league? I have gone to Baltimore several times to see the O's, but nothing can replace the jake. (even if Camden DID replace the jake in major league 2)

3 - slow paced highways.

4 - lake erie.

5 - i cant believe i am saying this...... winter. The seasons down here are like a month behind, it has messed with my head.
I watch several Browns games a year with the Browns Backers here in Austin. Lots of fun - meet all kinds of people from the Cleveland area.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM

456 posts, read 774,695 times
I grew up in Shaker but have spent the last 17 years out here in Seattle. Its a bit crass but I miss the cheap real estate. Every once in a while I've played the game of how much more of a house I could buy if I sold our bungalow here and moved back and its kind of mind-blowing.

Ben

Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM

126 posts, read 339,261 times
I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years and these are things I remember missing:

- the lake

- the snow

- the great music scene and the local venues

- roads that (mostly) made sense

- Coventry

- people who talked (mostly) normal (sorry Pittsburgh friends, but your "Yinz guys seen dem Stillers?" almost made my ears bleed)

Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Miss the days when Cleveland was considered the Rock and Roll capital; missed the days of 'Coffee Break Concerts' at the Agora during the 80s and all the great concerts back in the day and when WMMS was on top of the world.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:54 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I miss the lake, going to Browns games, my friends, the Metroparks system, walking around downtown, people without ridiculous accents, and people who can actually drive, in or out of snow, without drama.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
RAM2, the dawg pound was ripped apart along with the rest of the stadium as the game played on. remarkable footage (no sound)
YouTube - Cleveland Browns Final Game in Municipal Stadium

Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
RAM2, the dawg pound was ripped apart along with the rest of the stadium as the game played on. remarkable footage (no sound)
YouTube - Cleveland Browns Final Game in Municipal Stadium
I was at that game. It was an unforgettable and sad experience. I think I have some audio somewhere...I used to carry around a micro-cassette recorder to things like that.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
I miss those cheap indian's games before they moved to the Jake (or Gateway).
I do miss the lake.
I miss Marc's (great store).

Honestly though, I don't really miss that much. I'm kind of reminded of that every time I go back.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
I miss being able to walk to the lake, and I miss the people - solid, hard working, sports crazy, friendly, genuine, slow driving, people, with that good old Cleveland accent (yes, those of us from Cleveland do have an accent, although I couldn't recognize it until I moved away! Lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland