Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 05:28 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times

Advertisements

Hola,

My buddies and I down here in Akron are getting ready for our 3rd Annual Bike to Lake Erie (85-mile round trip). Any avid bicyclists are welcome to join us, by the way.

At any rate, the Towpath ends 6 miles shy of Lake Erie in an industrial part of Harvard Avenue (just E. of the Jennings Freeway)

In previous years, we would venture through urbanized roads west of the Jennings Freeway and onto Dennison Road through residential and business and then hit a street north (Fulton Rd.) and take it on up through downtown.

Does anyone have any better advice here as to what we shall do when we reach Harvard? Is this a dangerous side of the Central-West Side that are are biking upon?

If anyone is willing, please take out a google map and find Harvard and Jennings Freeway, locate Denison and then Fulton Rd which we took north to get into the lake area. (We were riding past Metrohealth in previous years)

There are 4-5 of us typically, so we're not too worried about getting jacked, but then again, you never know. Should we be worried around 3pm and 5pm?

Seeing where I pointed on the map, do you see a good route for us to the beach so that we may have a nice picnic at Lake Erie (this is our victory picnic, hehe)

Thanks for all the help! I'm sure you creative minds will help me shape up a great end-itinerary for our trip!

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 05:44 PM

Also - which is safer? Denison west to W.65th to Edgewater Park?

OR

Denison west to Fulton to Edgwater Park?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 AM

4,656 posts, read 4,973,860 times
In my opinion, Fulton is slightly safer than 65th, which is slightly safer than 25th. None of these areas is that bad in the late afternoon. Denison is a lot nicer between the Jennings and Fulton than between Fulton and 65th. Fulton might also be the most pleasant ride. It's fairly urban and close together. It's one of those 1 1/2 lane roads we have in Cleveland where if you're a car you have to change lanes about once every couple blocks, so be aware of that. Enjoy your ride.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM

Thank you very much for your advice on that -- I'll stick to Fulton and won't touch W.65th

Old 05-22-2008, 01:55 PM

82 posts, read 285,442 times
The Fulton Road Bridge is out over the Metroparks, can't remember if that is south or north of Denison. 65th is still open and the bike tunnel to get to Edgewater is a continuation of West 65th.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:50 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
I would direct this question to the Ohio City Bike Coop. Ohio City Bicycle Co-op - Home

they maybe be able to help. Now my thoughts. Fulton is no good b/c a bridge is out. nothing to see either. I have no technology skills to do the map you want ..hope someone can jump in. Here is a neat route. Head North on Jennings from Harvard. It turns into Steelyard dr.....you wind through a mall. When Steelyard rd ends you take a right and will be on Holmeden/Quigley heading north. You will be running through the flats and steel mill with great views of the city. You dead end and take a left on w3rd. Go over a bridge turn right on Canal. You are winding through the bowels of Cleveland and the Flats. Canal rd. eventually turns into Center St. Lots of bridges etc. But now you have to get up a hill out of the Flats...after you go over the red bridge , take a left up Washington. Careful..5 way scary intersection at the top of the hill. Take a left on W.25th. next rt. on Detroit Av. Where I am struggling is where the bike path is with access to Edgewater Park. SOMEONE ASSIST? it is in the w.70s I think.

good luck. I bet the bike coop has routes too. I have seen them on many of the streets above

Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Clevelandgirl> I can't thank you enough. I believe you've helped me create a much better route than I had before. Instead of going through Edgewater Park, we are going to go through downtown to Voinovich Park and have a relaxing lunch by the science center.

My friends are big into NYC messenger type biking and I think they'll enjoy going through the city.

I can't thank you enough for the idea!

I know Steelyard Commons is a safe area of course, and I'm assuming most of these areas will be safe during the day, but I'm unfamiliar with Holmdren, Quigly, W. 3rd, and Canal -- safe to be during the day and evening hours? Do you know the speed limits on these roads?

Thanks so much!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:12 PM

yup. All should be fine. Along the steel mills is pretty desolate, but that means anyone what would want to cause trouble doesnt even go there. Last time they had trouble down there was the Torso Murders back in the 1930's- the unsolved case broke Elliot Ness. There is some industry down there, so there are some people.

Google info on the torso murders and you may get some info to had to your tour. After you go by tower city/ Terminal Tower (you will be down low by the river) you can start veering up toward the city to get to Voinavich park. If you look at a map, I would try St. Clair. The east bank of the flats (ie down river road) is a little desolate b/c they are tearing everything down and rebuilding. That is not on the route I gave you, but you would know it when you came to it. It is along the river almost to the lake. I am not sure how you are heading back, but you could go back another way-over the Superior Bridge, down w.25th-hit the Westside Market (westsidemarket.com I think) if it is market day. Not to be missed. Have fun and do not forget the ohio city bike coop as a resource.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 PM

Here are some maps:
County Bicycle Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland