Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:05 AM

52 posts, read 162,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saba2r View Post
Go back up and look at our last exchange.
I'm talking about post #41.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

171 posts, read 446,473 times
Default Stop Playa hating

Cleveland has the best museum values in the country! I am not Cleveland slappy either. An aquarium would be nice! I use to live in Balto and would go 3-4 times a year.

Lakefront development would be nice

Navy Pier - Chicago
Inner Harbor - Balto

Detroit and Cleveland are the only 2 big cities without waterfront development!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:03 PM

48 posts, read 163,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacia1 View Post
I am new to Ohio. I love to swim. Are there better lakes than other
to swim in? Are there public pools here?
Portage Lakes are awesome!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Cleveland needs more good jobs. Our elites tell us they are never coming back. Bologna! A 25% tariff on all foreign goods should bring back manufacturing to Cleveland in a big way. Although, it would probably take around ten years to get there. Still, once you are there, keep the tariff up and it is "permanent."
Which means that many people will do with less and less, because the prices of so many things will go up significantly...

Not a great idea in a bad economy, do you think?

Instead of looking backward, we should be looking forward!

Invest in enticing biotech companies to move here... We should be a premier city for the biotech industry, because of the number of world-class hospitals here, and Case Western University...

We should be investing in green technology, and encouraging green companies to move here, and bring their green jobs with them...
The green industry is going to be huge, and we should be on the crest of that wave...

And, the good people of Cleveland proper might just consider electing some Republicans... Too many Dems for too many years (can anyone say Dimora and Russo?)... Try voting for another Voinovich, instead of another Jane Campbell....

And that is all I have to say about that....

Old 08-05-2008, 12:09 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVFAB View Post
Which means that many people will do with less and less, because the prices of so many things will go up significantly...

Not a great idea in a bad economy, do you think?

Instead of looking backward, we should be looking forward!

Invest in enticing biotech companies to move here... We should be a premier city for the biotech industry, because of the number of world-class hospitals here, and Case Western University...

We should be investing in green technology, and encouraging green companies to move here, and bring their green jobs with them...
The green industry is going to be huge, and we should be on the crest of that wave...

And, the good people of Cleveland proper might just consider electing some Republicans... Too many Dems for too many years (can anyone say Dimora and Russo?)... Try voting for another Voinovich, instead of another Jane Campbell....

And that is all I have to say about that....
You can't buy much without a good job

The "economy" and revenue (from tariffs and taxes) to pay for stuff like National Healthcare, WaterFront Development, Infrastructure Maintenance, etc would be significantly improved, if we had a lot more good jobs.

They can do "biotech" in Asia, cheaper. Ultimately, it will require protection to keep large chunks of our medical industry here. Furthermore, Cleveland used to have hospitals and factories We need both!

A lot of that "green tech" stuff is doomed. It is popular, but impractical. However, stuff like Nuclear Power should do well in the future and if electricity is cheap enough, Hydrogen Fuel Cells.

Conservatism is falling apart and Liberalism doesn't do anything that works.
We need "Americanism" (loyalty to the United States and its institutions).

I was at an estate sale. "Everything" the old couple had was made right here in Cleveland. They had a lot of nice stuff and they did jobs that you could do with a 3rd grade education. They were not unique.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
You can't buy much without a good job

The "economy" and revenue (from tariffs and taxes) to pay for stuff like National Healthcare, WaterFront Development, Infrastructure Maintenance, etc would be significantly improved, if we had a lot more good jobs.

They can do "biotech" in Asia, cheaper. Ultimately, it will require protection to keep large chunks of our medical industry here. Furthermore, Cleveland used to have hospitals and factories We need both!

A lot of that "green tech" stuff is doomed. It is popular, but impractical. However, stuff like Nuclear Power should do well in the future and if electricity is cheap enough, Hydrogen Fuel Cells.

Conservatism is falling apart and Liberalism doesn't do anything that works.
We need "Americanism" (loyalty to the United States and its institutions).

I was at an estate sale. "Everything" the old couple had was made right here in Cleveland. They had a lot of nice stuff and they did jobs that you could do with a 3rd grade education. They were not unique.
"Tariffs" are just another word for "tax"... Simply put, you are championing more taxes... Jobs aren't created by increasing taxes on big and small business... Jobs are created by keeping taxes low for business and the individual, who can buy more when they are taxed less...

With all the frivolous spending and bloated government, I champion smaller government, and more accountability...

National Health Care... I'd think twice before cheering for an idea that would put 300,000,000 million people in a queue for a doctor. For instance, I know a Briton (NHS - National Health Service) who has the same problem with his knee I did (ACL rupture). With private health care, I picked the surgeon, hospital, and time I wanted surgery (first week of January, 2007). This Briton (a retired cop), has not gotten his surgery yet, and isn't even on a waiting list to get the surgery. My sister is a breast cancer survivor. She lives in the Toledo area (Holland), and during chemo, she met a Canadian woman who was there having chemo for her breast cancer, too. The reason the Canadian woman was there is because she was on a 6-8 month waiting list for chemo in Canada...

One other thing to consider... I detest the sue-happy culture, and find it amusing that some of the people who are championing national health care, run by the government, hasn't even considered that if that happens, people will no longer be able to sue doctors, hospitals, etc. If we had some serious tort reform, then doctors and surgeons wouldn't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars for malpractice insurance...

The biotech industry is better situated near the world-premier hospitals... It's synergistic... We simply are not capitalising on the opportunity, due to the moribund local government, and the lack of accountability of that government by an electorate that is apathetic towards politics and politicians...

We have a system of government that is superb, but we have people in government who are not making good decisions, and the people in the area need to do something about it with their votes...

In America, no one can survive with only a 3rd grade education anymore. This is 2008, not 1908.

Last edited by MsVFAB; 08-05-2008 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Edit!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Thumbs up Tariffs do not = Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVFAB View Post
"Tariffs" are just another word for "tax"... Simply put, you are championing more taxes... Jobs aren't created by increasing taxes on big and small business... Jobs are created by keeping taxes low for business and the individual, who can buy more when they are taxed less...

With all the frivolous spending and bloated government, I champion smaller government, and more accountability...

National Health Care... I'd think twice before cheering for an idea that would put 300,000,000 million people in a queue for a doctor. For instance, I know a Briton (NHS - National Health Service) who has the same problem with his knee I did (ACL rupture). With private health care, I picked the surgeon, hospital, and time I wanted surgery (first week of January, 2007). This Briton (a retired cop), has not gotten his surgery yet, and isn't even on a waiting list to get the surgery. My sister is a breast cancer survivor. She lives in the Toledo area (Holland), and during chemo, she met a Canadian woman who was there having chemo for her breast cancer, too. The reason the Canadian woman was there is because she was on a 6-8 month waiting list for chemo in Canada...

One other thing to consider... I detest the sue-happy culture, and find it amusing that some of the people who are championing national health care, run by the government, hasn't even considered that if that happens, people will no longer be able to sue doctors, hospitals, etc. If we had some serious tort reform, then doctors and surgeons wouldn't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars for malpractice insurance...

The biotech industry is better situated near the world-premier hospitals... It's synergistic... We simply are not capitalising on the opportunity, due to the moribund local government, and the lack of accountability of that government by an electorate that is apathetic towards politics and politicians...

We have a system of government that is superb, but we have people in government who are not making good decisions, and the people in the area need to do something about it with their votes...

In America, no one can survive with only a 3rd grade education anymore. This is 2008, not 1908.
Taxes do not = Bad.

The stuff Consumers purchase isn't creating jobs for those Consumers (remember, the exception doesn't prove the rule); they've been going into debt and they are running out of collateral for their loans and the means to repay their loans. A temporary solution is: Debt forgiveness and "free money," but that creates inflation and on a massive scale, will make the dollar worthless. Hence, our current economy (Consuming without Producing) is unsustainable. We must become Producers and Consumers.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,912 times
how did this go from cleveland, ohio to a national healthcare discussion. The bottom line is people across America need to care more about politics and the United States. And this country has fallen into an 'us' versus 'them' or your with me or against me attitude. That is what these corrupt corporate ass kisser politcians want us to do. When we start caring about that, maybe Cleveland and a lot of older american cities will vastly improve, with a government that might care a lot more as well as be more accountable to its constituents. Until then city government that wants to doll out pet projects like acquariums or football stadiums will continue to be in office.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Taxes do not = Bad.

The stuff Consumers purchase isn't creating jobs for those Consumers (remember, the exception doesn't prove the rule); they've been going into debt and they are running out of collateral for their loans and the means to repay their loans. A temporary solution is: Debt forgiveness and "free money," but that creates inflation and on a massive scale, will make the dollar worthless. Hence, our current economy (Consuming without Producing) is unsustainable. We must become Producers and Consumers.
We must be producing something, if US unemployment is currently at 5.7% (July 2008). That means 94.3% of Americans are producing something to get a paycheck...

Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityperson2008 View Post
how did this go from cleveland, ohio to a national healthcare discussion. The bottom line is people across America need to care more about politics and the United States. And this country has fallen into an 'us' versus 'them' or your with me or against me attitude. That is what these corrupt corporate ass kisser politcians want us to do. When we start caring about that, maybe Cleveland and a lot of older american cities will vastly improve, with a government that might care a lot more as well as be more accountable to its constituents. Until then city government that wants to doll out pet projects like acquariums or football stadiums will continue to be in office.
Big business has given me the best job I have ever had in my life...

I own a house, have a new car (2008 Mits Eclipse) in the garage...

Life is good...

The government doesn't create jobs... Corporate America creates jobs...

And when people realise this in Cleveland, then we can move forward, and get some good companies to set up shop here, and provide jobs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland