Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:12 PM

768 posts, read 942,301 times

Advertisements

Cleveland is not like Detroit. There are patches of Cleveland that are rough like any other city, only the patches in Cleveland are slightly more abundant due to economic issues. But there are great areas all over the place that are safe, lively, and fun.

Detroit, top to bottom, is an unsafe dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
Firstly, Cleveland is a nice town, has a beautiful skyline, and has plenty of opportunity. It is not crappy like Detroit. I would say on a scale from 1-10, Detroit is a 2 or 3, Cleveland is a 5 or 6. It is not the best Ohio city but it has decent suburbs. I wouldn't say it has amazing suburbs though. Maybe a few, but even Dayton has stronger suburbs than Cleveland. Cincinnati has good suburbss, too, possibly similar to Cleveland. I would say the best suburban atmosphere lies within Dayton. It has arounf 50 suburbs. Some larger than others. But there is only one that I think of that is hit rock bottom and even it is seeing signs of improvement (Trotwood, Ohio.) Some of the best suburbs of Dayton are Vandalia, Beavercreek, Oakwood, Centerville, Tipp City, Brookville, Englewood, Bellbrook, Springboro, Troy, Sidney, Fairborn, Xenia, Miamisburg, Union, Arcanum, Eaton, Clayton, and Germantown. Some more middle class ones are Springfield, Middletown, Huber Heights, Greenville, West Alexandria, Farmersville, New Carsisle, Lewisburg, Trotwood, and a few others. Of all these suburbs, only four didn't get the Excellent Rating from the State of Ohio Board of Education, and seven got the Excellent with Distinction rating, which is the highest a district can get. Some worse off districts are Northridge and Dayton Public but thats it.
Stronger in what? High school football?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Nick -- you know very little about the Cleveland area.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 PM

860 posts, read 1,356,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
Firstly, Cleveland is a nice town, has a beautiful skyline, and has plenty of opportunity. It is not crappy like Detroit. I would say on a scale from 1-10, Detroit is a 2 or 3, Cleveland is a 5 or 6. It is not the best Ohio city but it has decent suburbs. I wouldn't say it has amazing suburbs though. Maybe a few, but even Dayton has stronger suburbs than Cleveland. Cincinnati has good suburbss, too, possibly similar to Cleveland. I would say the best suburban atmosphere lies within Dayton. It has arounf 50 suburbs. Some larger than others. But there is only one that I think of that is hit rock bottom and even it is seeing signs of improvement (Trotwood, Ohio.) Some of the best suburbs of Dayton are Vandalia, Beavercreek, Oakwood, Centerville, Tipp City, Brookville, Englewood, Bellbrook, Springboro, Troy, Sidney, Fairborn, Xenia, Miamisburg, Union, Arcanum, Eaton, Clayton, and Germantown. Some more middle class ones are Springfield, Middletown, Huber Heights, Greenville, West Alexandria, Farmersville, New Carsisle, Lewisburg, Trotwood, and a few others. Of all these suburbs, only four didn't get the Excellent Rating from the State of Ohio Board of Education, and seven got the Excellent with Distinction rating, which is the highest a district can get. Some worse off districts are Northridge and Dayton Public but thats it.
I mean no offense by saying this, but there are 2 cities in Ohio that I absolutley can't stand: Dayton and Toledo. To say Daytons suburbs are better than this or that means nothing, simply due to the fact the suburbs are just that: suburbs. And no matter how many nice suburbs you have around a ****ty city, the whole area is still underwhelming. Detroit is a perfect example of this. Cleveland has just enough life in it to ecplise this standard, as well as professional sports, mass transit, wonderful art, and nice scenery. Although i will have to admit, Dayton has a wonderful art museum. Everyone i know in Dayton works in the Cincy area. As far as Cleveland, they're just like their football team; they have a long way to go, but they have just as much potential as any other proseperous city. I can't say the same for Dayton and Toledo.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
nickel poster,, thanks for the laugh today. dayton suburbs stronger than clevelands or cincys? lol and since when did springfield and xenia become part of dayton? they are surrounded by corn the last i drove thru.
You would probably be even more amused if you knew where Lewisburg, West Alexandria, Arcanum, and Greenville were!!!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
I mean no offense by saying this, but there are 2 cities in Ohio that I absolutley can't stand: Dayton and Toledo. To say Daytons suburbs are better than this or that means nothing, simply due to the fact the suburbs are just that: suburbs. And no matter how many nice suburbs you have around a ****ty city, the whole area is still underwhelming. Detroit is a perfect example of this. Cleveland has just enough life in it to ecplise this standard, as well as professional sports, mass transit, wonderful art, and nice scenery. Although i will have to admit, Dayton has a wonderful art museum. Everyone i know in Dayton works in the Cincy area. As far as Cleveland, they're just like their football team; they have a long way to go, but they have just as much potential as any other proseperous city. I can't say the same for Dayton and Toledo.
I realize Nick's post was, well.... uninformed, but......

I still don't get your post. Why the hate for two perfectly good cities?

I'm agreed that 'burbs are 'burbs, generic and sterile no matter where you go, but scenery? Please, when you're in Dayton, take a drive through the countryside of Preble county or take a hike at Glen Helen preserve or John Bryan state park in nearby Yellow Springs.

Also, Dayton has the hottest minor league team in the history of minor league baseball, with every game sold out since the first played, and we have many world-class museums and other institutions. Many Dayton area citizens do work in Dayton, but the trend is mutual, and many Cincy-area residents work in Dayton.

I can't argue for Toledo, but I know it's got some nice assets.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:18 AM

860 posts, read 1,356,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post

I'm agreed that 'burbs are 'burbs, generic and sterile no matter where you go, but scenery? Please, when you're in Dayton, take a drive through the countryside of Preble county or take a hike at Glen Helen preserve or John Bryan state park in nearby Yellow Springs.

Also, Dayton has the hottest minor league team in the history of minor league baseball, with every game sold out since the first played, and we have many world-class museums and other institutions. Many Dayton area citizens do work in Dayton, but the trend is mutual, and many Cincy-area residents work in Dayton.

Lived in Toledo for 3 years, went to university of Toledo. Bowling Green had more nighlife than Toledo. Only thing around UT's campus: Upper-middle class neighborhood, college neighborhood, liquor store, wendy's, taco bell, papa johns, off campus bookstore, remnats of a shopping center.

Didn't mean to blast those cities, sorry if i offended anyone who lives there. I met some really cool people in Toledo, but **** that place!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,105 times
Seriously people?!?!

This is what is wrong with Ohio. We have a lot of large cities, but we compete with eachother. Damn! When will be realize we have great cities that have a lot of diversity not only in their people, but their history? Stop with the Toledo bashing to make Cleveland sound better. Stop with the Dayton bashing to make Cleveland sound better. Stop with the Cleveland bashing to make Columbus sound better. Stop with the Columbus bashing to make Cincinnati sound better!!!!!!

Ohioans I think will never change, and not even appreciate the many great cities they have.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post

World class art museum and zoo. Same goes for Akron as well.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:00 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
Who's bashing Toledo and Dayton to make Cleveland sound better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland