Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,775 times

Advertisements

I thought I could handle this myself, but I think I need a little help.

I moved to Cleveland in June and in August my girlfriend of about 5 1/2 years moved here to live with me. I bought a ring and have been planning on proposing before we leave on 12/22 to fly home for the holidays. I want to do it before we leave so that when we go home and get to see all of out friends and family, she will be able to show off her ring.

I want to make the proposal special and romantic, but I don't know a whole heck of a lot about Cleveland and we haven't really been here long enough to have a place that is very special to us so I could use some help here...

Some ideas I have are a romantic dinner Friday night after work (havent decided on the restaurant, suggestions welcome) then maybe go to Glow at the botanical garden. I thought that would make for good scenery for photos and a good background to drop to a knee. Also I thought about ice skating at wade oval then doing it after that.

I would love to hear some good suggestions of where to eat then kind of walk around/waste time so I could tell her how much I love her, want to spend the rest of my life with her, etc. then a cool place to really pop the question.

I dont really want it to be a big public proposal or anything i dont think. I would like for it to be pretty personal and intimate. Also, dont want it to be TOO late at night. We need to come home at a decent time to pop some champagne, celebrate , and possibly finish up any packing we may need to do.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 PM

177 posts, read 431,018 times
Why don't you try proposing to her in Chagrin Falls on one of the two main bridges on Main Street (which overlooks the river), with it being Christmas time the village looks even more awesome. But since you stated privacy there's plenty of nice restaurants in the village that suffice. Hope this helps...

Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,388 times
My friend got engaged down in Chagrin Falls and it's a very sweet story. The only caveat is to dress warmly! Will DM with the details of the story (not sure where they had dinner but it was in Chagrin Falls).

I got engaged in Cleveland as well but it was in my apartment. We went out for a nice dinner the next night at Pier W on the west side.

If you are thinking about University Circle, consider Sergio's or perhaps L'Albatros, with a cozy table by the fireplace?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:02 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
Back when I lived in Chagrin ('04) the restaurant with a very nice view, especially in the winter, overlooking the falls was called Blake's owned by Hyde Park. Hyde Park changed the restaurant which is now called Jekyll's Kitchen Jekyll's Kitchen . Not sure if it is too casual for your liking butThe patio is enclosed during winter and it is a nice setting. It is also a nice area to walk around with all the Christmas lights, decorations. Not sure if snow is in forecast but you can not get much more picturesque than this town when covered in smow during the holiday. They also have horse and carriage rides in December on Sunday's 12-4pm. http://www.yourhometownchagrinfalls.com/our-events/holiday-traditions-program/
The Starbucks next door was my regular morning stop.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 PM

191 posts, read 442,449 times
I proposed to my wife in front of Severance Hall after an orchestra performance. The orchestra performances are very intimate and Severance Hall is a beautiful building.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and congratulations!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Dinner at L'Albatros and a stroll over to Wade Park Lagoon wouldn't be half bad.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,388 times
A few more suggestions on this thread: Most romantic spots (east side?)

Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Dinner at L'Albatros and a stroll over to Wade Park Lagoon wouldn't be half bad.
This is how I proposed...opposite order though:

Wade Lagoon (on the marble steps of the Cleveland Museum of Art), checked into the Intercontinental (with champagne ready), Dinner at L'Albatros...so she could show off the ring.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 AM

8 posts, read 16,540 times
I'd vote against an outdoor proposal in Cleveland in December...

Old 02-21-2016, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,380 times
looking for a place to propose near the lakes? maybe after a Cleveland game.... so probably at night...can anyone help? i'm not from the area and don't know where to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland