Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM

182 posts, read 272,800 times

Advertisements

There actually was an article in the Plain Dealer last year, highlighting a young Caucasian family that had bought and rehabilitated a house near the one the poster is considering. That said, I'd be doubtful. I lived near 140th and Euclid in East Cleveland from 1969 to 1984 [AFTER the town had changed]. I never once had any incidents. I drove my convertible with the top down at night, walked home from the Rapid Transit at Windermere after dark. BUT---that was just before the gang problem began to get seriously bad. I do not believe I could do all that now. There is just so much HATE now, fostered by the popular "culture" and news media. The North Collinwood suggestion is better, but you would need to use private schools. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 AM

79 posts, read 235,777 times
Like everybody else I wouldn't suggest moving into East Cleveland. But recentlycoming out of the CMSD I can tell you that you might want to invest in private schools unless you move into one of Clevelands nicer suburbs. The public school I came from (Lincoln-West) wasn't THAT bad compared to other CMSD highschools but it was still gritty. Semi-daily fights, gangs/gang violence, rapings, etc. I'm actually GLAD we had metal detectors, it wasnt uncommon for people to try and sneak in straps. I hear Solon has AMAZING schools though I'm not sure if you can find a dilapidated home in that area to even renovate

Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM

102 posts, read 234,863 times
Kind of late to the thread.

In the East Side Heights/Hillcrest suburbs, I think the best bang for the buck is South Euclid. It was probably the hardest hit of the 'burbs in the area during the recession. Still, it's stably integrated (majority white), safe, has decent schools (South Euclid/Lyndhurst), strict code enforcement, it's close to everything (Conventry, Cedar-Lee, Cedar Center/Whole Foods, Legacy Village, etc), and there's quite a bit of high-end housing (Belvoir Boulevard and surrounding area) selling for a fraction of the price similar homes would fetch in Beachwood. Unfortunately, the place is saddled with a name that includes "Euclid", so many think it's connected with the city to the north.

East Cleveland? If I found something that was truly pennies on the dollar, I'd only consider it if it was in the Forest Hill area or the Oakhill/Hazel enclave; residents are generally very well educated, and there's still a sprinkling of holdouts. Nela Park is also in decent shape.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 PM

30 posts, read 73,184 times
For one, thank you. East Cleveland needs some white people who are willing to invest in buying a house and live there. What i do recommend is not moving in directly in the center, but in the Forest Hills neighborhood of East Cleveland. It is good because 1. That is where the 6-7% of the populations white people live, it is on the border of the mostly white/Jewish Cleveland Heights, and has even more beautiful older homes and mansions built by Rockefeller in a tree lined neighborhood. It is a little bit more expensive, but much cheaper than it should be. The average house is about maybe $75,000 to $200,000. Good deal.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 PM

372 posts, read 593,167 times
I would not do it, especially with a young family. We drove there last Sunday to Bill
Kap piano on Euclid. We took the 140th exit and wound through some neighborhoods to get to the shop. It was snowy, grey and desolate. It does need help. If you are planning living there, I would be very concerned about your family's happiness and well being. In an urban, vibrant, up and coming place like North Collinwood, you thrive off of the energy and artistry. In a place where we were last Sunday, you sink into depression. It was very dismal and empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland