Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 PM

457 posts, read 626,994 times

Advertisements

As a person who left Cleveland for Florida, I cannot believe anyone would do the opposite on purpose. But I'm sure you had your reasons.

Try Honey Hut for ice cream. I don't think it's all that, but many people in your neck of the woods will drive there to get it. They just rave and rave. My favorite ice cream comes from the grocery store...and I like Giant Eagle best. If I were you, I'd just drive to Independence and go to Cinemark at Valley View to see movies. It's a niceish theater.

You know how people move to Florida and then complain about the hot, humid summers? You're going the other way...and you might want to prepare yourself. The days we typically have most of the year in Florida are not your typical Cleveland day. And winters get very dark and dreary. The snow, ice, slush and cold are bad. But the grey skies can dampen even the brightest of spirits. You can go weeks without seeing the sun.

The best thing to do before (and after, lol) you get the hang of driving on snow is to GO SLOW. You need to start breaking way before you stop.

When you get inside after walking through snow, you'll notice how other people bang their feet. A friend of mine who'd never been in snow thought that was silly. The reason they do it isn't because they hate snow. If you don't bang it off, it will melt and make your pants/shoes damp. Plus, the floors get wet and slippery. And wet shoes on wet floors...people slip and fall. That's why we bang our feet. You may wish to become a foot-banger, too.

Also, I don't know what speed limits were like in your part of Florida, but around here they are much higher than in Cleveland. I have a hard time remembering how slowly I need to drive when in Cleveland. So, watch your speed if you're used to roads with 55 limits and highways with 70 limits.

Good luck in your transition!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
The snow, ice, slush and cold are bad. But the grey skies can dampen even the brightest of spirits. You can go weeks without seeing the sun.
-sigh-
That's such a BS myth I just cannot stand it being perpetuated anymore.
I have been keeping a close eye on the sky this winter. The longest stretch we have seen without sunshine was 4 days. 4 DAYS. Hardly weeks. And that was the longest stretch of cloudy days in a row we have had since Day 1 of winter. That was just two weeks ago. And that was followed up by 5 STRAIGHT SUNNY DAYS.
In my very unscientific research I have been doing this winter, the sun has been out fully 65% of the time. Easily more then half of the time.
Anybody that says otherwise is just a very negative type person or has a very short memory.
Today is another great example. Supposed to be cloudy and get some snow today. I hear this on the radio on my way to work. I look at the sky and say "what?". There's not a CLOUD in the sky and the sun is beating down. But "on the record" this will probably be considered a cloudy day.
//edit// The sun is gone now. This is supposed to be a 3 or 4 day stretch with no sun (yet it was out all morning). But again.... 3 or 4. Not WEEKS.

Quote:
The best thing to do before (and after, lol) you get the hang of driving on snow is to GO SLOW. You need to start breaking way before you stop.
I don't think this is the greatest advice either. Sounds like you might be one of those people that drive us crazy on the road. A half inch of snow on the road and she's doing 25 on the freeway.
The best winter driving advice I can give: if you are nervous driving in bad conditions, then don't. Period. There are options here.
Take city streets to a bus\rapid stop and take public transportation.
Don't get one the freeway if you are one of those people nervous about driving on a freeway when it is crappy. Like me. I freely admit I am one of those people. When it makes you nervous to even switch lanes on a freeway because there is an inch of snow separating each lane: don't get on the freeway. I worked downtown and when it got real bad, I would just hop on Lorain Road and drive out to the suburbs. It takes a lot longer but there is ZERO stress.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
-sigh-
That's such a BS myth I just cannot stand it being perpetuated anymore.
I have been keeping a close eye on the sky this winter. The longest stretch we have seen without sunshine was 4 days. 4 DAYS. Hardly weeks. And that was the longest stretch of cloudy days in a row we have had since Day 1 of winter. That was just two weeks ago. And that was followed up by 5 STRAIGHT SUNNY DAYS.
In my very unscientific research I have been doing this winter, the sun has been out fully 65% of the time. Easily more then half of the time.
Anybody that says otherwise is just a very negative type person or has a very short memory.
Today is another great example. Supposed to be cloudy and get some snow today. I hear this on the radio on my way to work. I look at the sky and say "what?". There's not a CLOUD in the sky and the sun is beating down. But "on the record" this will probably be considered a cloudy day.
//edit// The sun is gone now. This is supposed to be a 3 or 4 day stretch with no sun (yet it was out all morning). But again.... 3 or 4. Not WEEKS.

I don't think this is the greatest advice either. Sounds like you might be one of those people that drive us crazy on the road. A half inch of snow on the road and she's doing 25 on the freeway.
The best winter driving advice I can give: if you are nervous driving in bad conditions, then don't. Period. There are options here.
Take city streets to a bus\rapid stop and take public transportation.
Don't get one the freeway if you are one of those people nervous about driving on a freeway when it is crappy. Like me. I freely admit I am one of those people. When it makes you nervous to even switch lanes on a freeway because there is an inch of snow separating each lane: don't get on the freeway. I worked downtown and when it got real bad, I would just hop on Lorain Road and drive out to the suburbs. It takes a lot longer but there is ZERO stress.
take the rose colored glasses off... why waste your time on your 'unscientific test' if you are the only one that believes it..but I guess denial is a good way to live through the long winter. So today is a sunny day in CLE?

Hour-by-Hour™ Weather - CLEVELAND
11 am

30°
Cloudy

12 noon

30°
Flurries

1 pm

29°
Cloudy

2 pm

30°
Flurries

3 pm

31°
Flurries

4 pm

32°
Cloudy

Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 AM

416 posts, read 700,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
take the rose colored glasses off... why waste your time on your 'unscientific test' if you are the only one that believes it..but I guess denial is a good way to live through the long winter. So today is a sunny day in CLE?

Hour-by-Hourâ„¢ Weather - CLEVELAND
11 am

30°
Cloudy

12 noon

30°
Flurries

1 pm

29°
Cloudy

2 pm

30°
Flurries

3 pm

31°
Flurries

4 pm

32°
Cloudy

(really had to think about that one, didn't you)
Weatherman now, ZnGuy? I am looking out the window now and am seeing sun. Right, I forgot you live here and now exactly what is happening by looking stuff up on the internet. You're like the State Farm commercial where everything you read on the internet must be true. Best part is that I have done extensive research in Charlotte, and actually lived in Florida. But I am not browsing the internet assuming I know exactly what is happening at that very moment. Denial? At least I am not living in denial in the poverty stricken South and can't find a job. I am glad I left that hellhole.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Weatherman now, ZnGuy? I am looking out the window now and am seeing sun. Right, I forgot you live here and now exactly what is happening by looking stuff up on the internet. You're like the State Farm commercial where everything you read on the internet must be true. Best part is that I have done extensive research in Charlotte, and actually lived in Florida. But I am not browsing the internet assuming I know exactly what is happening at that very moment. Denial? At least I am not living in denial in the poverty stricken South and can't find a job. I am glad I left that hellhole.
Whatever.., aren't you in Youngstown?? I'm actually in dwtn Chagrin this am, in my book not sunny. And don't blame others that you can't make a living in the South when others are able to be quite successful, thank you

Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Fact: THe sun was out today until about 11:00. Then it got cloudy. A few flakes fell. Around 12:30 the sky cleared in the north and blue skies were along the north shore. Just a few minutes ago more clouds rolled in.

I don't wear rose colored glasses. I hate winter. But to say that it is grey here for weeks at a time? That's just totally untrue and if you actually believe that: you are wearing dirt covered glasses...

Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,811 times
Default Sunny Westside

Same thing in my neck of the woods!
The Eastside does have more cloud cover in my experience , during the winter months.
I as a child looking west from my Shaker Square area home , seeing the terminal tower,
and the black winter clouds , I often thought ,will it ever end. Remember back then , If I had to walk to
school , it was normal.( Our lady of Peace ).

Resently a local news were in Chardon , I could not believe the snow cover , as I had nothing but
snow free ground .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Fact: THe sun was out today until about 11:00. Then it got cloudy. A few flakes fell. Around 12:30 the sky cleared in the north and blue skies were along the north shore. Just a few minutes ago more clouds rolled in.

I don't wear rose colored glasses. I hate winter. But to say that it is grey here for weeks at a time? That's just totally untrue and if you actually believe that: you are wearing dirt covered glasses...

Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 PM

416 posts, read 700,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Whatever.., aren't you in Youngstown?? I'm actually in dwtn Chagrin this am, in my book not sunny. And don't blame others that you can't make a living in the South when others are able to be quite successful, thank you
I was at Cleveland State. Thanks for trying to notice. Oh, and it was sunny. Maybe I should take a picture next time some guy in NC wants to tell me what the weather is like where I live.

I am not blaming anyone in the South. I just don't like it like just like many others who find it to be overrated, whether you want to believe that or not. And I could easily make a living in the South, it was my judgment to move back North. And don't come on here being all negative on Ohio because you didn't like it here. Thank you

Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I was at Cleveland State. Thanks for trying to notice. Oh, and it was sunny. Maybe I should take a picture next time some guy in NC wants to tell me what the weather is like where I live.

I am not blaming anyone in the South. I just don't like it like just like many others who find it to be overrated, whether you want to believe that or not. And I could easily make a living in the South, it was my judgment to move back North. And don't come on here being all negative on Ohio because you didn't like it here. Thank you
You funny guy...actually I enjoyed my time in Ohio, especially my last stop in Chagrin Falls. I'm in Ohio and Cleveland once a month so I think I qualify probably as much as someone in Youngstown. I guess your opinion that south is over rated is in the minority since there continues to be so much migration to the south. For that matter I also like some spots in FL, spent last week in Marco Island,also like Naples, PB, MB.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM

109 posts, read 142,567 times
Welcome to Cleveland!

You had asked about grocery stores. Marc's is affordable. Giant Eagle is more expensive for most things but you can earn fuelperks to use on gas discounts.

Food...There is so much good food in Cleveland! Try Melt for a specifically "Cleveland" restaurant. Delicious!
For shopping, I enjoy the Strongsville mall (South Park Center), and it's not too far from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland