Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 PM

36 posts, read 50,401 times

Advertisements

Admittedly, I just moved here a year ago, but my initial impression of NE Ohio that I keep coming back to is that Cleveland and its inner-ring burbs should merge. The city could benefit from all of the additional resources coming in from places like Shaker and Lakewood and maybe those living in the burbs would see their property taxes reduced without a severe reduction in their services. I'm sure this idea will be poo pooed, and isn't likely to ever happen, but I like the idea regardless, and am curious to get your thoughts and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times
I agree, it needs to happen, but as we recently saw when 4 Eastern suburbs tried to merge, politicians are very reluctant to give up their power.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
I'm sure most residents of Shaker and Lakewood would not want their towns to become part of Cleveland. Not when their towns are overall better run while Cleveland has made such a mess of things over the years. Look at the crime and blight and inferior services in the city as compared to the suburbs. The suburbs do not want to give control to Cleveland politicians, and I for one can hardly blame them.

The only way it would happen is if the suburbs deteriorated to a point where they could no longer go it alone. But that scenario is still well off in the future, if it ever happens at all.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'm sure most residents of Shaker and Lakewood would not want their towns to become part of Cleveland. Not when their towns are overall better run while Cleveland has made such a mess of things over the years. Look at the crime and blight and inferior services in the city as compared to the suburbs. The suburbs do not want to give control to Cleveland politicians, and I for one can hardly blame them.

The only way it would happen is if the suburbs deteriorated to a point where they could no longer go it alone. But that scenario is still well off in the future, if it ever happens at all.
Your knowledge of city politics is decades old and outdated. Cleveland is actually much better run than it used to be. Not saying it's great, but it is greatly improved. The fact that there are several free recreation centers in the city, all the streets get plowed in the winter (which they didn't in the past), streets are slowly, but surely being repaved, and that street cleaners have returned is a testament to this. You're probably right at this point, but if Cleveland continues going in the direction that it is, it may well be a good option in the future.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 PM

145 posts, read 193,629 times
What's in it for the inner-burbs?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxedtodeath View Post
What's in it for the inner-burbs?
This is the big question. I think it makes sense from an efficiency standpoint, but I don't know how you could convince some of the proud suburbs like Shaker, Cleveland Heights, Lakewood to go along.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 AM

13 posts, read 13,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is the big question. I think it makes sense from an efficiency standpoint, but I don't know how you could convince some of the proud suburbs like Shaker, Cleveland Heights, Lakewood to go along.
practically any suburb of any city is going to be nicer than the core City. Suburbs are small governmental units and they aren't mired in bureaucracy and chain of command. That's why curb appeal in practically any suburb, including the most modest suburb, is always going to be better than what you see in the city. More attention to detail more focus I see no benefit to becoming part of a big city.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Befuddled63 View Post
practically any suburb of any city is going to be nicer than the core City. Suburbs are small governmental units and they aren't mired in your accuracy in chain of command. That's why curb appeal in practically any suburb, including the most modern modest suburbs, is always going to be better than what you see in the city. More attention to detail more focus I see no benefit to becoming part of a big city.
Larger tax base means more city services. The city of Cleveland offers free recreation centers and pool access to all its residents. It also offers better transit options.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM

13 posts, read 13,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Larger tax base means more city services. The city of Cleveland offers free recreation centers and pool access to all its residents. It also offers better transit options.
Who cares? It mean potholes and crumbling curbs because cities always take money from their nicer areas and spend them on their blighted areas. They underinvest in their nice areas and eventually the nice areas go to pot. It also means poor snow plowing and police response for much of the same reason. When you have a burglary the cops are all fighting some gang war in the inner city and it takes two hours to get to you. Suburbs are small focused areas and they do a pretty darn good job at the things that matter which are snow plowing, garbage collection, police response and basically running a clean area with nice curb appeal. I'll take even the older sections of Parma over most of what you see in Cleveland any day of the week.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:44 PM

118 posts, read 194,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Befuddled63 View Post
Who cares? It mean potholes and crumbling curbs because cities always take money from their nicer areas and spend them on their blighted areas. They underinvest in their nice areas and eventually the nice areas go to pot. It also means poor snow plowing and police response for much of the same reason. When you have a burglary the cops are all fighting some gang war in the inner city and it takes two hours to get to you. Suburbs are small focused areas and they do a pretty darn good job at the things that matter which are snow plowing, garbage collection, police response and basically running a clean area with nice curb appeal. I'll take even the older sections of Parma over most of what you see in Cleveland any day of the week.
I agree completely and would just add that the city service that has the biggest impact is probably the public schools. Shaker Heights residents are justifiably proud of their excellent public schools (not to exclude Lakewood or any other suburb, this is just an example). What happens if they become part of Cleveland? It would be hard to imagine that the schools would continue to get the resources that they have in the past once becoming part of Cleveland city schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland